Ode to Ventures

GT,
Walk, Don't Run is one of my fav "surf rock" pieces, so I felt obliged to listen.

First off, it is very good. You didn't say if you were going for the "exact repro" cover or one of those "give it my sound" covers. I'll withhold comment until I hear your intent...

Queue

surf's up!!!

frisco.jpg

I have not heard the original, but this one sounds quite involved. Maybe too involved. I think the lead guitar needs some mids cut out from it. It sounds hard.

I also hear some distortion. Is this tape or digital distortion?

Great playing.

Queue,

That's a very interesting question.

I would never attempt to do an exact reproduction, as I don't think it's possible.

I think the lead and rhythem guitars lines maybe close, if memory serves.

I also never have the mindset that I am going to give it my own sound, because to me the sound seems to evolve on it's own.

On the other hand I did the drums, and selected the tone of the guitars,so to a degree it's true.

CyanJag,

Funny that you found it involved, I thought most here would find it to simplistic. I didn't hear distortion on my end. You may have higher fi ears, than I.

Glad you liked the playing, I thank you.

GT

GT,
I'm gonna have to listen to it some more to figure out what it is, but there's something very small that is bugging me. Don't get me wrong, this is really good. There's just some little something...

aarrrrrrrrgh

Queue

Holy enhancment G.T. !
Is this the same drum set-up you had for the Taylor tune?
You've done something with your recording process since your last mp3 post.
Bursting with power and energy. Solid chops. Wish it was longer but, so the song goes.

Nice to hear another from you.

Theron.

theron,

Thanks for the listen. Same drum machine, no presets, that's me doing the whole drum track on the pads. Quantized of course.

This to me to is the only way with a drum machine, seems to make it more human, less loopy heh heh!

You are right, drums were louder on this one than the last, they seemed to be more pivital to this song.

I'm glad you liked the playing, that made my day!!

Guitar even stayed in tune.

GT

I liked it except for one thing. The kick was way too loud most of the time. I wish it had been a little longer :-)

jgourd,

Next recording, I'll keep an ear on the kick. I didn't think it was too loud, but it's food for thought. I'm glad you liked it otherwise.

Charger,

Maybe I mp3'ed a little too hot.

If your player is like mine, sometimes if you hit stop, and then play again it will reset to a lower level, and distortion will diminish.

Thanks for the listen.

GT

I d/l'd this the other day and just haven't gotten around to posting. I agree about the distortion; maybe it just happened in the conversion or something, but it's pretty noticeable. Aside from that, I enjoyed listening to this. My father was a BIG Ventures fan, and initiated me as soon as he could. :) Good job.

Jitteringjim,

I must have made the mp3 to hot. I have learned my lesson, next tune I will keep a little more out of the red.

I must be a little older than you, because it was my older brother who introduced me to the Ventures.

This one was so much fun to record, just had to share it with you guys.

Glad you liked it.

GT

I love surf rock.

I keep missing Los StraightJackets when they come to town. I got this video that I thought would be a book, where some dork explains how to play Misserlou. Funny stuff. Link Wray and the wraymen. That's where it's at.

Anyway your song...

Short and sweet. I like that. I'm hearing that distortion a bit too. But you already know about that.

Are you going direct with the git or micing it. I dig the tone, and your playing is without flaw.

The only drum machine drum that sounds a little too drum machine-like is the hi-hat.

Otherwise, killer tune.

-Jett

Jet-rocker,

Glad you liked it.

I went direct in with a Pod, also using Pod's built in FX.

GT

Back