Oddball Covers-Post 'em if you got 'em

I have about 200 covers at my youtube channel Zepfan59. Lots of deep cuts. May not fit the theme here though.

Are you kidding me? Gotta post Secret Agent Man. :D

YouTube

Anything from a 60's TV show has got to fit the theme.

Incidentally, I liked your version of the old Springfield song, Rock and Roll Woman. Pretty decent Stills-like vocal and the background vocal stuff worked really well. And those harmonies aren't easy.

Pretty decent song! Although it might not meet the oddball criteria, unless you count the part about rats and bedbugs. :D

I like the old school feel to this one. Simple, clean, and tastefully underproduced. Just like they did way back when.

OK. This next one is solid gold. Well, at least the original. Dean Martin on vocals, Ricky Nelson on guitar, and Walter Brennan on mouth harp. Are you f-ing kidding me! And then Duke even pops in with a swagger and a cup of joe. Solid gold I tell you!

YouTube

Attachments

• My Rifle My Pony and Me.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
Hard to believe that one brain could do this and Warm Leatherette. I blame the 1970's. I mean, seriously, you take an impressionable young man and make him listen to punk and country rock at the same time, what do you expect? :D

Green Day medley demo I did a few months ago, when I was auditioning for a Green Day Tribute band here in Chicago. Never really fully finished the mix I guess, but's decent enough. Boy was it fun to record though.

Dropbox - GreenDayMix6Demo.wav

Nice sounding stuff! I remember when Green Day didn't have enough songs to have a tribute band. :p
Back in those days, it was always a question about were they really punk? Do we need more punk? Or is this the second wave of punk?

Did you get into the band? You sound good. Of course, I assume that it was a three piece band. Pretty low odds when you are trying out. ;)

Just in case anyone thought I was a closet cowboy, here's something a little different:

YouTube

Attachments

• Suspended Animation.mp3
    8.6 MB · Views: 5
Nice! It's definitely slower and darker than the Cramps version. And it's not easy to get darker than the Cramps.:D
I was not aware that the Cramps did it. I have a short string of covers that I was gonna do but then somebody else did them, so now I can't because I'd look like a follower. Like "Sweet Dreams". I was actively working on a heavier and darker version of that, but then that damn Manson album came out. Likewise with "Very Good Advice" from Alice in Wonderland. Mine would have been way weirder than the Cure's version, but now I can't.

Edit - But also, this one was actually too slow for me to play, so I recorded a scratch rhythm guitar at normal time and then slowed it down to half. Pretty sure I used Nashville tuning so that the octave drop put it in normal tuning, but I don't remember for sure if that stayed in the mix.

I was not aware that the Cramps did it. I have a short string of covers that I was gonna do but then somebody else did them, so now I can't because I'd look like a follower. Like "Sweet Dreams". I was actively working on a heavier and darker version of that, but then that damn Manson album came out. Likewise with "Very Good Advice" from Alice in Wonderland. Mine would have been way weirder than the Cure's version, but now I can't.

Edit - But also, this one was actually too slow for me to play, so I recorded a scratch rhythm guitar at normal time and then slowed it down to half. Pretty sure I used Nashville tuning so that the octave drop put it in normal tuning, but I don't remember for sure if that stayed in the mix.

For some reason that link did't work and I couldn't find the song on your YouTube channel. :confused:

For some reason that link did't work and I couldn't find the song on your YouTube channel. :confused:
Are you searching for videos for the songs that I said couldn't record because somebody else did it first? Cause I didn't. ;)

A friend and I have an imaginary cartoon series that doesn't actually have occasional holiday specials, and we've recorded a few covers for those, and this is probably the most coherent, but they're all on my BC.

Timmy and Lorenzo's Halloween Hoedown | Lorenzo's Tractor

Are you searching for videos for the songs that I said couldn't record because somebody else did it first? Cause I didn't. ;)

Exactly. Then I tried to join the Partnership for a Drum Free America but I couldn't because I'm a member of The Partnership for a Facebook Free World. :D

And a member of the Society for the Rehumanization of American Music. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: RFR
I'm a sucker for early 80's Belgian Post Punk. It's a really amazing sub sub-genre. Too bad there are only a small handful of bands.

I tried two different covers of this (posted below) but can't quite hit the mark. Belgian Post Punk is hard to cover. :D

Apologies in advance to Stones fans. :D

YouTube

Attachments

• Mothers Little Helper 2.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Mothers Little Helper.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 3
Whats with all you little girls posting MP3's that we have to download to frickin listen to Damnit Jim it's 2019!

Fer Cripes sake!

OK I'll play... It's been too long to remember which member it was that inspired me here....but it was a member here..that did Bob Dylan's "Like a rolling Stone" a little different...I was inspired and one day coming home from work came to find that I could sing like a crazy person if I was willing to rip my vocal chords into shreds..so I pulled up to the house...ran back to the "studio" and laid down a rough track......OUCH! went back the next day with torn vocal chords and recorded one more time LIVE

Y'all know Dylans and Hendrix's version and now frickin Tomco's interpretation of the classic........

Ha ha, that's pretty good. Quite an obscure song to cover, that's for sure.

Okay, I'll bite. This one is not quite so obscure, but we, uh, didn't quite cover it so close.

Here's the original:

YouTube

Here's our version:

View attachment 104325

Mind you, this is just a quick recording of a practice using a handheld recorder.

Me likey! Damn fine live version there buddy!

OK. This next one is solid gold. Well, at least the original. Dean Martin on vocals, Ricky Nelson on guitar, and Walter Brennan on mouth harp. Are you f-ing kidding me! And then Duke even pops in with a swagger and a cup of joe. Solid gold I tell you!

YouTube

Sweet...nice slide shit there bubba...OK I admit it ...I'm an old prog rocker who is secretly a goat roper...wrote this didly on the way up to Big Sur with my lovely wife ( girl friend at the time and she STILL married me ;) )

I ain't nothin but a goat roper
I would not want to be known as a doper
I get my kicks from tying knots
While all those crazy hippies get their kicks from smokin pot

Rope a goat, rope a goat, rope a goat, rope a goat....rope em all day long
Rope them goats yeah I rope them goats it's right where I belong
I rope them goats, I rope them goats, I rope em all day long
I rope them goats yeah rope them goats and sing the goat rope song

Back