Oddball Covers-Post 'em if you got 'em

dwillis45

Número sesenta nueve
Am I the only idiot who is drawn to the bad music hidden underneath rocks? Post your oddball covers here.

I'll go first. And please comment. Even though they are odd, they can always benefit from criticism.

YouTube

Attachments

• Da Da Da.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 20
Ha ha, that's pretty good. Quite an obscure song to cover, that's for sure.

Okay, I'll bite. This one is not quite so obscure, but we, uh, didn't quite cover it so close.

Here's the original:

YouTube

Here's our version:

View attachment The Bottle Let Me Down.mp3

Mind you, this is just a quick recording of a practice using a handheld recorder.

Ha ha, that's pretty good. Quite an obscure song to cover, that's for sure.

Okay, I'll bite. This one is not quite so obscure, but we, uh, didn't quite cover it so close.

Here's our version:

View attachment 104325

Mind you, this is just a quick recording of a practice using a handheld recorder.

Wow! Thats nice and dirty. Like a bad bar where you can smell the piss. :D

Sounds good live, even with the handheld recorder. Just a little too much guitar on the left and the vocals are a little low.

The only thing I miss is the pedal steel part. That or a slide would sound great at the lead. Of course, I'm a sucker for the pedal steel. Great sound and you get to sit while you play. :D

I like covering obscure material. Nobody has a framework for comparison and people often think it's your own material. :D

Like a bad bar where you can smell the piss. :D

Yeah, those are the kind of places we play. :D Got a gig at another one tonight at 11pm. <ugh>

The band does mostly originals, but we throw in the obscure cover. Because most of them are songs I never heard before, I'm always asking if it's an original or a cover.

That was just a little 2-channel recorder. The one guitar player was pretty loud and pointed right at the thing. Pretty soon, we're going to get some decent demo tracks recorded. Just gotta get these guys organized. It's like herding squirrels.

With your cover, you played it really close. You were able to get all the little bits n pieces in there. Pretty cool. Sounded like you spent some time and energy on it. :thumbsup:

With your cover, you played it really close. You were able to get all the little bits n pieces in there. Pretty cool. Sounded like you spent some time and energy on it. :thumbsup:

Singing in German was the hardest part. I took Spanish and Portuguese in school but all my German was from Hogan's Heroes.

Here's another oddball gem. A cover of Stalin Kicked the Bucket by Ray Andersen. It's from the sub zero freezer of sub sub genres: Anti-communist Country Songs from the Early Atomic Era.

YouTube

Attachments

• Stalin Kicked the Bucket.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
Best song lyric ever: "Though he was a man of power, he was afraid of old Eisenhower." You just don't find rhymes like that anymore. :D

I haven't heard that da da da song in forever!
I don't know either of the country songs.

Most of my covers tend to be weird versions of well-known songs

Like compressing 4 pink floyd songs into 5 minutes

I haven't heard that da da da song in forever!
I don't know either of the country songs.

Most of my covers tend to be weird versions of well-known songs

Like compressing 4 pink floyd songs into 5 minutes

That is some seriously fun noisemaking and performing! I was really waiting for an encore. :D

Here is a cover of a cover, and a sure way to annoy some die hard Beatles fan. :D

Apologies in advance.

YouTube

Attachments

• Money.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
Nice! It's definitely slower and darker than the Cramps version. And it's not easy to get darker than the Cramps.:D

Solid gold or polished turd? It's hard to tell beneath the software trumpets. :D
YouTube

Attachments

• The Lonely Bull.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
How many of these do you have?!

Also, what are you using for brass?

LOL. Only a handful. Maybe 20 or so depending on how you define the term oddball. A lot of the early 80's post punk songs I've done are weird. But only in they eye of the beholder. Like The Normal's TVOD or Warm Leatherette, for example. They were odd at the time coming from a classic rock tradition. Now, I'm sure they are just vintage synth or minimal wave.

The brass is just basic software instruments from the stock in GarageBand or Logic. I wish I had the wind to play it myself. :D

Here is the aforementioned track, TVOD, from The Normal's 1978 seven inch. I pretty sure it was a six inch and that they were exaggerating.

YouTube

Attachments

• TVOD.mp3
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
I'm quickly loosing faith in humanity and the sinister side of the creativity gene. Step up gentlemen or I'll be forced to sink this thread with an avalanche of unseemly material.

I have about 200 covers at my youtube channel Zepfan59. Lots of deep cuts. May not fit the theme here though.

Back