Odd Circles

MadHatterTCM

Eternally Striving
This is a rough mix. There's a few things wrong with it that I'm aware of. 1st being that the bass is really low in the mix. See if you help me with anything else.

Odd Circles

Hi MadHatter.
:cool: This is really a very good song and well played all round – can I hear a big Coldplay influence in there? Nice production I'd say, but as you mentioned the bass is low. Also, I think the picking-style guitars dominate too much from the start, but particularly when the vocal comes in – they take over just a little too much for me. I love the part where it changes and the ebow-type guitar comes in. Great vocals on this by the way.

Nice one,
dreamer7 :)

any particular guitar piece? Or the guitars over all? I'm pretty sure, that there are roughly 7 layers of guitar on things like the intro and 2 or 3 when the vocals first come in.

Difficult to say really, but maybe it's the guitars overall when the vocals come in. They just seem to take the attention away from the voice for the first part of the song particularly. Or maybe the vocals need to come up a bit, as well as the bass? I'm listening on really good headphones and not monitors, so I don't know if that's making a difference at all.

:cool: Great guitar playing though and a really neat song.
dreamer7

i don't think the headphones are deceiving you. The vocals in the first part could probably definitely come up some. and yes, the bass :)

maybe I'm more scared of taking the action away from the atmosphere of the music with having the vocals up too much.

Hey MadHatter, very clear and relaxing mix. The tune is very nice. I like the layered rhythms in different areas of the stereo field, really draws the listener in. You're right though, not hearing much bass. The vocals, I'm not sure if they're too low or if they're just interfering with the high guitar rhythm.. it almost feels like the guitar is the focal point there, where the vocals should be. You may want to try separating the vocal/guitar frequencies a bit more, if that doesn't work then raising them. Background vocals in the chorus are a nice touch, some good drama there. Love the distant guitar half way through too that builds. There's a nice wall of sound to close out the tune, very nice sounds all around... again feels a bit cluttered in respect to the vocals there that some extra panning/EQing should clear up.
Overall enjoyed the tune very much, great work :D

MadHatter,

Absolutely awesome song, love the way it builds. the vocals are a little covered up, but this is awesome!

thanks you two. I'll try and repost a newer version once some vocal retakes are done and i get the bass levels up. Thanks for the input though.

Nice guitar work Madhatter. I like the backing vocals too. Good drum build about mid way through. Nice to hear some emotion.

Back