Nuevo Zambra a la Tonio - percussion and guitar

XLR

______
Nuevo Zambra - percussion and guitar

Tonio added percussion to my zambra track that was in a thread that's been around a while, and I think this version deserves its own thread so it doesn't get overlooked... so here it is! Nicely done Tonio. :cool:

Tim

Last edited:
I'm just hearing this for the first time... listening as I'm typing... beautiful sonorities with the chimes coming in on the intro... At :46 sounds like rain - what is that?... Phrase at :52 has a really nice L and R combination. 1:54 triplets swelling and diminishing along with the guitar... Then chimes with the guitar's percussion phrase – nice contrast there. And a strong ending matching the triplet rasgueados in the gtr. Well done Tonio. You know, I think the percussion could have been a little louder without overwhelming the gtr. Man, those chimes give it a mysterious feel. Next one we do together I promise I'll use a click! Heh-heh.

EDIT: DonF answered my question... it's a rain stick

Tim

Wow - this is cool!!!!

i liked it when it was just guitar ...but the drums really make it sound cool !!!!!!!!

Man, very good job. Tonio kicks it here.....plays well with Tim. Very cool. Nice feel. Added a different dimension to this. Well done.
Ed

Thanks for the compliments.

Cool Tim, I guess you got the file before my briefcase puked out :D
How you do it anyway? I can't get in my self LOL

Glad you like it Tim, I wanted to mix up the perc alittle more, but decided to keep it down. Especially cuz it was not a perfect performance-not that it would hide it :rolleyes: just supplying the rhythm. I did want the cajon (especially the bass notes) to be more prominent, but it got lop sided in the balance. Its actually to the right a bit, and didn't want to hide the guitar if I placed it down the center.
So the guitar was ok? I added a touch of verb which may have accentuated the squeaks and noise. Ha , I guess when the performance is so good, you kind of oversee(hear) those things.

T

SnakeDog, thanks for listening and for your comments (in the original zambra thread).

Don, apl, NL5, lurgan liar, Jack and Al, thanks for listening and your kind words about our new collab venture here.

Ed, I sure agree that the percussion gives it a different dimension – I’m glad that Tonio was so creative with it and wasn’t overly conservative in a traditional flamenco sense. I think it works.

Tonio said:
I guess you got the file before my briefcase puked out
How you do it anyway? I can't get in my self LOL
I just happened to see Don’s first post about the percussion and grabbed the mp3 then. Figured the briefcase space might be glitchy again, so I just plopped it onto my server.
I wanted to mix up the perc alittle more, but decided to keep it down.
Personally, I still think it could be louder without stepping on the gtr. The gtr sounds nice and clear in it and the reverb is just right. The file I sent you didn’t have any verb added like the solo mp3 I had posted in the other thread did. And my finger squeaks… well, I was very disappointed that you didn’t’ position some kind of esoteric Peruvian finger cymbals or something to hide them… I mean, come on, can’t you do a guy a small favor? :D

Tim

-Practice makes perfect-
keep practicing,You may reach "demo-level" in a few years or so.
Why is it that every song I have heard on this bbs(AND OTHERS) so far has had shitty drum sounds?
Get it together people!
The average music consumer wants great drum tracks.
Don't be cheap and lazy!
Record and mix your drum tracks with care,my client-the undisputible,clever-Christian does.
Then again,that is like comparing apples to turds...(Christian being the Apple).

Ted Philips/Mystery Records

LOL, hey here you are again Ted! Didn't know you were into Spanish or Latin music.

To my forum friends, if you find anyone's comments offensive who should appear in my thread, I'd appreciate it if you'd simply put them on your ignore list rather than replying to them in kind.

Tim

Sounds well cool although i dont seem to like the drum beat at 50- whatever seconds.
Seems to fast. Would sound better at half time if you know what i mean. Real nice sounds gove this brilliant guitar playing more ambience and mistery (not fekin Chrisitan)!! dot beleive hes still here.

ecktronic said:
Sounds well cool although i dont seem to like the drum beat at 50- whatever seconds.
Seems to fast. Would sound better at half time if you know what i mean. Real nice sounds gove this brilliant guitar playing more ambience and mistery (not fekin Chrisitan)!! dot beleive hes still here.

Hey, you must have posted right when I did.

Thanks Eck. Do you mean the brief "rain" sound at :50? I didn't know what that was originally but I'm told it's a "rain stick"... or do you mean the long phrase following that has the eighth note L/R hand percussion?

Tim

Last edited:
Timothy Lawler said:

Thanks Eck. Do you mean the brief "rain" sound at :50? I didn't know what that was originally but I'm told it's a "rain stick"... or do you mean the long phrase following that has the eight note L/R hand percussion?

Tim
Hmmm.... Tim I keep missing you on here. I seem to log on right after you log off...

Amazing.

Tonio, it seems like that must have taken a lot of work. Very nice. You are clearly a mighty percussionist. There's an awful lot of speeding up and slowing down in the original performance (in a dramatic way, of course), so you must have gotten intimately familiar with the piece before--and during--the recording to pull it off.

Great job!

Timothy Lawler said:

Thanks Eck. Do you mean the brief "rain" sound at :50? I didn't know what that was originally but I'm told it's a "rain stick"... or do you mean the long phrase following that has the eighth note L/R hand percussion?

Tim
I mean the beat that goes for a good bit.
The rain stick is cool, i love those things. Kinda therapeutic.

Incanus said:
Amazing.

Tonio, it seems like that must have taken a lot of work. Very nice. You are clearly a mighty percussionist. There's an awful lot of speeding up and slowing down in the original performance (in a dramatic way, of course), so you must have gotten intimately familiar with the piece before--and during--the recording to pull it off.

Great job!
Yeah Tonio, impressive time keeping.

:)

Echoing Incanus' comments; it's quite and impressive display of LISTENING and sensitivity to be able to sync up to a track that is essentially rubato, and not sound artificial. It's as if you were in the room with him. Quite lovely accompaniment of what was already a delight of a piece!!

Timothy Lawler said:
And my finger squeaks… well, I was very disappointed that you didn’t’ position some kind of esoteric Peruvian finger cymbals or something to hide them… I mean, come on, can’t you do a guy a small favor? :D

Tim

LOL, no kidding-wheres they rhythm section support man :eek:
But you know its called character right?

T

Back