Now what?

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
I had an interesting chat with Tom (also known as SLuiCe) today. Some of the topics were:

-guitars
-soundcards
-disco
-the FBI
-Britney Spears (she should be killed)
-squirrels, and the best mic for recording them
-frogs, and the best way to record them without scaring them
-the FBI
-disco
-J Lo (she should be killed)
-disco
-frogs (they rock)
-squirrels (they rock even harder)
-disco

Keyword seemed to be DISCO. Hence, this little search of me for an advanced kind of disco.

I take full responsibility for this ditty. Tom had nothing to do with it. It probably has nothing to do with disco either LOL :D

Why? I was getting sick of guitars, and of my voice. During the creation of the song I felt less hate towards the guitar, and even added some. I didn't add vocals.

Song: Now What?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2639&alid=799

It's all happening dude. We're gonna bring disco back with a whole new face.

Just not yours.
:)

You know, I'm listening to this and it just occurred to me that you're a great writer/composer/player to begin with; so it only makes sense that you could make something that is actually compositionally interesting out of electronica. There is definitely a musical intelligence at work in this. I might have spent more time in nightclubs if the dance music was like this. :)

Great sounds here and really cool melodies! I'm always impressed with your sense of melody.With all the bullshit I've been dealing with trying to find a guitar sound, you (and Sam) may have inspired me to jump on that keyboard again. Glad you finally got a day off and got to make some music.

Ped,

Very nice stuff!

Very little here to complain about other then no vocals.

Reminds me a lot of Kraftwerk in many ways but not really disco in the traditional sense.

I like it!

Cheers! :)

SLuiCe said:
With all the bullshit I've been dealing with trying to find a guitar sound, you (and Sam) may have inspired me to jump on that keyboard again.

*all of a sudden dear old Fprod South starts crying* ;)

Thanks guys. Hey, it just occurred to me I totally ripped off the beat in a way: Music by Madonna. A clever dj can easily mix it with a simple crossfade. Now not only the FBI is watching me, but the RIAA is watching too LOL :D

I think I'm gonna try some more of this. I noticed it's clearing the big frustrated mess in my head at the moment. :)

I was waiting for the squirrels to come in but it never happened!:D

I like this one quite a bit. The descending melodies are way cool. Nice work!

As always I listened and typed this before reading the other posts...

It's a bit disjointed, but I really enjoy some of the NIN meets Depeche Mode effects, makes for a tasteful and original techno thing.

If it does have anything to do with Disco, it's pretty close to the devil's disco, cause I just aint hearing much upbeat, cocaine driven, clap happiness going on here :D.

BTW, that's a compliment. :p

this is no disco...no without a guy singing like a woman:D :D j/k This is really cool. The intro is got some nice 60's psycholdelic feeling, but then the 80's space techno takes over!! I agree with Pinky, this tune does have a little NIN vibe to it, which is totally awsome!

Al

You could make a short for MTV, spotlight at your feet, big huge 6-string red sparkly bass ... elton john platform shoes, rainbow socks ... purple polyester shirt hanging open a bit ... big round glasses ... huge blond fro !

Just you, a big AMP, a turn-table ... up in the DJ box ... playing ... and spinning ...

I think you'd make a fortune ... and the chicks ... gawddddd ... the chicks !

Ped, I'm with Tom's response, all the way. I could hear a screaming guitar solo somewhere in this. Very nice. And vocals.

Dan

Yup....very cool.......

Great production and melodys man....

needs vocals for sure.....

More in the vain of David Ocassek (sp?) I think....

something really out there...ya know?

I really liked this Ped....
Groove is tight...

Joe

cool song. I't very well put together I'd say, not sure if really discoish.....need some 16th's on the highhat for that!;) Ie- KC & Sunshine! I also like it just the way it is! Ie - No vocals!

Why does everyone think they need to have vocals in every song?

JMHO - Jason

JasonBird said:
Why does everyone think they need to have vocals in every song?

Agreed, I've got a site full of stuff with only spoken word style vox or instrumentals, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :p

Once I Was Afraid, I Was Petrified...

This is too cool to be disco! It needs cornball lyrics over it first! :) I mean, "Ring My Bell" :confused: :D now that was disco!

Very interesting work. You find a nice groove and the layering is spot on. A very good arrangement. Nice use of the keys and some excellent playing.

Come on, give us some vocals... :)

good sounds Ped.. some of the synth sounds like the pro 53.. a friend of mine has it, and I want it.. that really high whistle thing could have come down a hair for me.. maybe another solo instrument.. good mix and a nice little ride..

This ain't no party! This ain't no disco! This ain't no foolin' around!!

(sorry, couldn't help myself with the Byrne quote)

Way to cool to be disco - and it's way too musical - and you have a handclap on an upbeat here and there but the influence is there.
I don't think this needs a guitar solo or a vocal - I think it needs a theremin solo!!
Love the harmonized descending melody line - wish I had a stereo system big enough to play this really loud!

You said, "it's clearing the big frustrated mess in my head at the moment." You really wanna clear it? Get the theremin!!
Nice work, guy!!
~Milan

cool idea, and sounds different enough to be signature. I hear a bit of cars flavor along with the kraftwork thing.
One of those "Sluice midi units" doin a blistering short solo would sound neat on this and some bit of Dutch rap on the chorus hooks. ;)

(the open mind of this board always amazes me)

SLuiCe: thanks, and right back at ya. You should try a 'disco' tune sometime too. Btw, I'm listening to the new Thought Industry. It rocks big time. Can't wait until I can send you those bass tracks along with a Thought Industry mp3 sampler.

The Ghost of FM: thanks. Kraftwerk......my brother used to listen to it. I always thought of it as 'pretty dumb music', LOL. :D

Zikes: squirrels is SLuiCe's specialty. Perhaps he can ask one of his squirrels to do a solo.

Pinky: devil's disco! Haha! :D NIN is an influence for sure. Thanks.

A1A2: thanks!

studioviols: chicks? My wife wouldn't approve... ;) :D

dtb: a screaming guitarsolo? I personally don't hear it, but if anyone wants to try....be my guest.

joro: I'm sorry....I won't sing on this. Thanks for your nice comments though ;)

JasonBird: yep, you're right. Not every song needs vocals

boydrj & powderfinger: thanks guys! :)

B.SABBATH: thanks! The synth sounds are all Dreamstation btw. There's actually a lot of processed guitars in there as well.

MC Gitarz: everyone who quots Byrne is my friend (but you were already my friend of course!). I'd like to have a theremin! If you ever see one, lemme know. I can try to emulate a theremin on my keyboard but it wouldn't sound the same. Thanks for the suggestion.

Toki987: thanks. I can ask Tom for a SLuiCe midi unit solo. Dutch rap? Ya, I can do that. But not on this song.

Thanks guys!

Pedullist said:
*all of a sudden dear old Fprod South starts crying* ;)

I am crying!!! What are you doing? The man just bought a Mark 4!!

This isn't dicso.:D One of the first albums I owned was Katel's "Hot Nights and City Lights". All the songs ran into each other for non-stop boogying (and no, that's not mesa boogying like Tom should be doing).

This is pretty cool. Not as involved as a lot of your stuff, but cool never the less. Love the handclaps and the tones that (in a good way) do not resemble anything that exists in the real (non-synthesized) world. I think I told you when I first downloaded a bunch of your stuff that Jill and I were having a lot of fun dancing to it. Lots of your stuff is pretty danceable, even some of the weirder stuff.

Back