Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different.... for me....

Thanks

And now for something completely different.... for me....

Sign in to disable this ad
    Man, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I've been doing a lot of reading, buying gear, upgrading, improving physical space, working, etc. But, I'm back, for better or for worse....

I've been working on this for a client of mine named Leslie, who is the singer on the track. She came to me with this country song by JoDee Messina that she wanted to turn into a pop song with a bit of a dance flavour to.

I programmed the drums, played 95% of the synth parts, re-wrote bass lines, created horn parts, played bass, guitar, etc. You get the idea. She and her dad had a lot of input along the way. The result is probably the best recording I've done so far. In the interest of self-improvement, like most of the rest of us here in the clinic, I still want to make it better.

All constructive comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.soundclick.com/greenroomrecordingmusic.htm

Chris

Thanks

Unhappy

"This download hasn't been cleared yet. Please check back tomorrow."

I will!!

Thanks
    The main thing to me that sticks out immediately is that the voice seems kinda tinny, and not very full.
    That's just how I roll...

Thanks
    the horn part reminds me of that paul simon song.....'don't call me al' or something like that.............

i'm not crazy about the drums.....the snare is okay....but the kick doesn't seem to have the right sound for a song like this......

nice guitar playing.....never heard the song, but this version sounds alright.....

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice Melody and arrangement. The kick sounded somewhat dead and needed some pitch boost. I enjoyed the vocs and your git perf was on point!
    A tweak here and there and this joint is tite!

Thanks
    I listened to the song before I read your post Chris and I thought this would be a good country tune. The mix and the overall performances are very good. Did she dub the vocals in or use a harmonizer?

Thanks
    Hey, thanks alot (already!) folks!

DrStawl - Thanks for checking it out. Sorry it wasn't available yet.

BSanfordNYC - I recorded the lead vocal with one mic straight on and with another omni mic back about three feet. I added reverb to the room mic and left the first mic dry with only a bit of EQ. The room mic sounded thin (as you would expect), but because it was more of an effect, I EQ-ed it a little thinner too, so as not to compete with the main vocal. In my mixing last night, I brought the room mic up a fair bit. I think I might need to go back and adjust the EQ on that room mic, and maybe that will help? Maybe bring the room mic down a bit, but increase the reverb on it to keep the same effect, only without the presence?

Powderfinger - I was thinking something along those lines (You can call me Al.... maybe I need to get Q in to play a funky bass line too, like in the song?) exactly when I "visualized" the horn part in the chorus. Guess I was successful!! hehe....

MisterQcue - Thanks for poppin' in! We often meet on "other threads" Can you do that fretless solo on You can call me Al?

Powder and Q - Thanks for the guitar kudos! The drums have been a struggle, and they're my biggest criticism too - particularly the kick. I'll revisit the mix and give some specifics of what you're hearing and maybe I can track something down. What I do remember is that I'm using one sample layered over another - one with a character that I like that the other lacks, and vice-versa. I've compressed the crap out of both of them. Maybe that's the problem - perhaps too much? On my home stereo, the kick is pretty kickin'. On my car stereo, they're "okay." On my monitors, they sound "okay" too, but monitors don't really give a thumping kick on anything, which is what I'm after. Yeah, a couple tweaks are in order there. I'll get back on some specifics.

I think a little more life in the kit overall is in order, but I'm not sure how to get it. Use only one layer? Don't compress so much (think that might be it, personally)? Bit more reverb on snare, toms, something else?

Thanks again!

Chris

Thanks
    I set my clock back one hour, not 15 years!!!

Just kidding.

It does have an 80's flavour for sure, but that's ok.

The vocals are thin as someone else commented, as well some weird resonance going on with the reverb settings.

I like the tune, though, catchy!! A wildcard as Cyan would say.

Good work!

Thanks
    I think cutting some of the ultralows in the kick might clear things up.
    Regarding the mix:

It's very hard to tell whether it's the encoding or the mix but something isn't right yet...could you post a high quality mp3 please? (192kbps)
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    Dragonworks- Thanks! The harmonies were overdubs.

Emeric - I've changed the EQ on the vocal a bit, and did some other tweaking there. It's getting better. I just discovered the SIR reverb plug-in. This gives me a perfect excuse to try it!

Pedullist - I lowered the "thumpy" dance kick sample a touch and boosted the "rock kick" sample a bit around 3K to give it some more edge. It's sounding better now. Unfortunately, soundclick will only allow encoding up to 128kbps with their free account.

Thanks, folks, for the kudos and critiques. I'll try to post an update soon.

Chris

Thread Information