And now for something completely different.... for me....

Frauenhofer mp3 encoder is the best. If you got bad results with it, I don't know? Lame is in my opinion LAME. In general, anything that is free will suck. The only mp3 encoder I was happy with cost me $49 three years ago. It was Frauenhofer based. The only one I know that uses it in musicmatch. There is a free version of it at www.musicmatch.com. It is big at 15M or thereabouts. :)

http://www.mp3.com/bluecyberia

It definitely has a pop feel to it musically, but the singer's voice lends it a country flavor so it is kind of an 80's Country-Pop song, if one exist. :)

I listened on headphones and I think the drums sound fine except on the fills. Something about them doesn't sit well, but I'm not sure what it is.

Real fine vocal on this. The horns were okay, but a little bit cheesy towards the end...but again that kind of fits this genre so not too bad.

Good, catchy tune. It will probably be stuck in my head today :D

Overall nice job. Sounds good on the phones :)

Sorry, but this offering was not catchy at all, and I feel that the singer's voice detracted from the music.

Wildcard score of : F

Needs more guitar in there somewhere. Less keyboards/horns everywhere. The drums are horrible even by drum machine standards. That goes for both the sound and programming. Was it quantized?(yuck) It sure sounds like it. I didn't mind the vocals at all. Fix everything else and it'll be fine.

Ok you asked....lol.

When I hear the song I don't really understand as to what your trying to achieve with the mix. In most cases the mix is dominated by an instrument or vocal leading to more attention devoted to that part in the song. What I mean by this is panning and stereo imaging of those parts along with where they are layered in the mix in relation to the other instruments.

I'd be happy to share my suggestions as to your mix over the phone or in person, if you would like to hear them. It's just easier to say it then type it.

So give me a call, you know the number.

later,
sonicpaint
:D

I'm sorry. This has nothing to do with the song, but I wanted to rebut my previous post. I said Lame was was LAME, but I was judging on an older version. I got the latest one and it sounds much better than the older one. I would recommend it if you haven't got it yet already. See

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/1/2/11-1-2-15.shtml

Check the Fraunhofer on that page also. It's good as well. I found from reading that the latest Fraunhofer is actually worse than the older version, so you really need to try them all and A/B to see whcih one you like best.

I don't think that will help your recording much though, but at least that will eliminate a source of error.

Skully - You're right - I don't think like a drummer. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I'm also in the midst of checking out drumbum.com. There are TONNES of lessons and resources there - all free - for almost anything drum-related that you can think of.

Doug and A1A2 - We're re-doing the lead vocal this weekend. There were a few places that she wanted to "emote" more, so we're going to try a couple of different setups and see what works. I'm still going to go with trying the vocal and room mic technique that I've been using, though, and applying my reverb on the room mic. I'm just thinking out loud - maybe some of the thin-ness may be resolved by inverting the phase of one of the two tracks. Maybe.... I considered the whole gated 'verb thing, but.... ;)

Blue Cyberia - thanks for the links. I'll check it out, but have found out since that the Fraunhofer mp3 utility included in SX is now a full version, and not a "limited use" like it was before. I'll be checking that out too.

boydrj - maybe the problem with the fills is that those are the places where I am just using one sample, instead of two layered samples like most of the rest of the samples, so it sort of "falls out" a bit. Just wondering?

CyanJaguar - so you have tonnes of suggestions that I might find helpful, then?

HangDawg - You sound like a rocker - more guitar/less keys, etc. So am I. :) That's why this is really different for me. They are quantized, and I would never use that drum sound on a rock tune. Do you think they fit the song, though? Also, as I understand it, and as I hear it too, most dance-y/pop stuff is quantized to the nines, so I think it is appropriate. Do you disagree, considering the genre, or do you still think so even in light of that?

Sonic - yer on. I'll call ya.

Continued thanks, folks!

Chris

Back