Now for something completely different

Superb!

Really nice recording work here - I'm really anxious to hear the technical details because the separation is really nice, the dynamic range is excellent and the tones are spot on! Very impressive - enjoyed it immensely! Nice sounding orchestra, too. It's gotta be tough nowadays to get that many people together to rehearse and perform. Hats off to Kokomo! :D
~Milan

Way cool little mics

I used a pair of Audio Technica 853 choir mics in an ORTF pattern 9 foot up and a few feet in back of the conductor. I have tried other methods and keep coming back to this setup.

Ran mics into a EV board and then directly to the CD recorder.

You're not a one man band I hope? LOL :D

It's really an odd listen around these boards.

Sounds amazingly good though. Very real. I can almost smell the room. Sweet memories...(OK, not so sweet LOL....I'll explain it if you want....PM me in that case Sloop......don't wanna nag in your thread)

Anyway, great job! Thanks for the unusual listen. I've enjoyed it enormously.

Extremely enjoyable. Made my day. Nice job recording. I could visualize the whole orchestra up on stage.

Define ORTF please. :)

ORTF explained

Actually, I guess it would be more accurate to say I used a variation on the ORTF.

ORTF is a method of using matching Cardiod condensers mounted so the elements are 17 cm apart. The original ORTF had the mics angles 110 degrees from each other. I angled my mics closer to 120 degrees from each other. For this setup it gave a better representation of the orchestra. The closer to the orchestra the less of the house sound and vice versa. I have found 9 feet up and 7 feet behind the conductor works very well.

Back