Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now It's Too Late (this time it's not a crappy link)...

Arkansas....moving to Texas in a few weeks...
    Thanks

Now It's Too Late (this time it's not a crappy link)...

Sign in to disable this ad

Thanks
    Well damn...nobody wants to listen to my stuff. I thought this thread was for feedback...neg or positive.

Don't make me whine...I WILL do it... :d

Thanks

standby...

listening now...standby for feedbacks.

cholo

Thanks

quick first thoughts...

couple of questions I have first off, then some quick first thoughts. I'm on a time crunch here, so i'll look at it more later.

- Questions -
    1. is this all you?
    2. song you wrote?
    3. vocals all you?

- First thoughts -

Pro's
    1. I love this. Reminds me of the type of R&B I used to listen to. It has that Tyrese "How you gonna act like that", but with better vocals.

2. harmonies are extremely tight. any digital editing / pitch correction / vocal splitter type thingy going on there?

3. I hear a vox/talk box going on? Did any of the Troutman family sit in for you

Cons
    1. What is that haunted house sound at the beginning? Comes in at second :03 and comes back throughout the song...this, to me, sounds horrible. Personally I like that 90's style concept you were going for, but for me it just has too much tremolo on it. I would like it more if it approached the tremolo more like a guitar player - straight at first, the a little towards the end of each phrasing or note. just my opinion.
    2. guitar sounds fake. is it? I would love to hear a rich guitar arpeggio kinda thing like you went for, but either a real guitar or (if it is a keyboard guitar) a different sound.

that's just off the top of my head. Mix sounds tight. The vocals shine so well...excellent harmonies man.

thoughts/ideas/questions?

cholo

Thanks
    If I wanted to be exceptionally nitpicky, I'd say it's slightly mid-heavy (500Hz-1K) but overall this is a really great production, in my opinion. Everything sounds in proportion, smooth and in its right place. Way to go!

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply and the compliments. All vocals, instruments (they're all MIDI), and engineering was done by me.

It's funny you mention Tyrese's "Act Like That". It was produced/written by the Underdogs, who I'm a big fan of (I've actually drawn a few comparisons and even a mistaken credit).

As for my song, I stacked each harmony note at least 4 times and used a little Auto-Tune to give it sort of a different feel. It's not as heavy as you might think though. I still had to sing the parts pretty dead on for each track.

And yea...I'm a big Troutman fan as well (my first favorite song that I can remember - I was about 2yrs old - was Computer Love). I performed the talkbox myself. It took about 100 takes to get it together but I made it work. That shit is REALLY hard to do.

The "haunted house" thing (lol)...well I guess that's up to the listener. Personally I thought it added a bit of unexpected to the expected. But I respect your opinion...it's definately not a sound that would please everybody.

The guitar: I'm a firm believer that when it comes to guitar, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACEMENT for the real thing. That said, while I can pick and feel my way through a measure or two (one string only...lol), I am DEFINATELY not a guitar player. When I do MIDI guitar, I really don't try to make it sound realistic (in some cases I try to make it sound as unrealistic as possible). It's purpose is to take up a melodic space in the track. But again, that sort of thing varies from person to person.

Thanks again for the listen and critiques. As I said in another thread, I feel I'm pretty good at the engineering thing but with 9 years of experience, I still have VERY MUCH to learn. My sound is still not where I want it to be but I'm always making progress...
    C:\Users\Trell Blaze\Desktop\Woodstock.jpgListen if u dare...I dare u... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    <<<NOW AVAILABLE ON SOUNDCLICK...WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A COOL NAME FOR A MUSIC WEBSITE?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Scott View Post
    If I wanted to be exceptionally nitpicky, I'd say it's slightly mid-heavy (500Hz-1K) but overall this is a really great production, in my opinion. Everything sounds in proportion, smooth and in its right place. Way to go!

Well I AM exceptionally nitpicky and I feel I should've made better use of my automation after the bridge. I think that's where the mid-range gets pretty cloudy and compressed-sounding. There's also some EQ errors I'd like to have back but I think it's good enough that only us engineer types will notice the bad stuff.
    C:\Users\Trell Blaze\Desktop\Woodstock.jpgListen if u dare...I dare u... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    <<<NOW AVAILABLE ON SOUNDCLICK...WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A COOL NAME FOR A MUSIC WEBSITE?

Thanks
    ok Trell...I listened to this in the studio this morning.

re: mix - i have nothing more to say about it. spot on!

re: the song - This is a great song. I've got it stuck in my head and my wife really likes it too. I love the bridge...but what stands out the most is the voice. Very strong, confident, controlled. Soulful. I dig it mang. Again, the harmonies are tight and I liked your method of stacking multiple times then touched with auto-tune... I'd buy this song.

If you get a chance, listen to my mix in my thread "Mixing Feedback needed..."

< sarcasm >Really the same exact same style as yours...just a little different feel, tempo, rhythm, voice. < /sarcasm >

cholo

Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by elcholo View Post
    ok Trell...I listened to this in the studio this morning.

re: mix - i have nothing more to say about it. spot on!

re: the song - This is a great song. I've got it stuck in my head and my wife really likes it too. I love the bridge...but what stands out the most is the voice. Very strong, confident, controlled. Soulful. I dig it mang. Again, the harmonies are tight and I liked your method of stacking multiple times then touched with auto-tune... I'd buy this song.

If you get a chance, listen to my mix in my thread "Mixing Feedback needed..."

< sarcasm >Really the same exact same style as yours...just a little different feel, tempo, rhythm, voice. < /sarcasm >

cholo
    Thanks alot, man. I spent about a month on the whole thing. At least a week on the music, then about another week and a half writing/arranging...nearly a week recording (do it until it's right), and about a week mixing and touch up recording. Of course I did some pre-mixing throughout the entire process so that helped a lot.

I hope to check out your song before the weekend. As I said in your other thread, I can't get high speed at this particular location (pisses me off thinkin about it). I had no luck with your link or even my own. Myspace links are out of the question. I did get one guy's link at soundclick to play, however....well sort of. Only about 3 or 4 pauses during the song...

Thanks

You're invited!

Doctor Trell:

You have a standing invitation to come to my house and sing into my microphone in my family room any time you want! Just let me know. I'll even disinfect my pop screen.

Those are some of the best vocal harmonies I've heard in a long time. The song is great. The bridge is especially cool.

But....

After the bridge, things get too "busy" for my taste. Also, I'd like to hear more bass at the bottom end.

I am very impressed, to say the least. This is great if you don't change a darn thing.

PM me with links to your other recordings, please.

Thread Information