Now Comes The Night - Rob Thomas cover, acoustic

andrushkiwt

Just wanted to try a favorite song of mine, really bare and intimate. It's originally a piano piece but gave it an acoustic treatment instead. I used the SM7B on vocals and guitars (2 guitars 20% L and 20% R). I kept the smaller foam cover on the microphone, as I was curious how this would sound. Overall, I like the tone with the foam on. There is less abrasive upper midrange on the instruments. I got more vocal content in the 100-200hz than I usually do, not sure if that's a result of the mic placement, foam, vocal technique or whatnot. But I like it. I'd rather have more info to work with than it be absent altogether. In the car and on the HS8's, it makes it sound very full and thick (the vocals).

Now Comes The Night - acoustic by TRA | Free Listening on SoundCloud

"Fantastic" vocals. Your control and pitch is excellent. I thought the tone and panning on the guitars was perfect for a guitar/vocal song like this. The guitars have some tuning issues that are a little distracting in a few spots that could be corrected with melodyne . I don't know the song , but see why it's a favorite. "Great" job .. mark

Wow man, yer stuff is really sounding good bro. :thumbs up:

I do hear some slight tuning issues with guitars as mentioned, but nothing that I wouldn't consider 'reality'. Though yes, if you care that can easily be fixed if needed.

Otherwise, props man! Love it! :D

"Fantastic" vocals. Your control and pitch is excellent. I thought the tone and panning on the guitars was perfect for a guitar/vocal song like this. The guitars have some tuning issues that are a little distracting in a few spots that could be corrected with melodyne . I don't know the song , but see why it's a favorite. "Great" job .. mark

The problem is the intonation as the discrepancy between the B string notes gets more drastic as you move up the fretboard. The open strings are spot on but by the 7th fret, it's off a bit. And I'm playing D major (x-x-0-2-3-2) on one guitar and the second guitar plays it around 7th and 9th frets. So it messes it up. Thanks for reminding me to fix that. I'm used to it sounding like that by now. :)

The problem is the intonation as the discrepancy between the B string notes gets more drastic as you move up the fretboard. The open strings are spot on but by the 7th fret, it's off a bit. And I'm playing D major (x-x-0-2-3-2) on one guitar and the second guitar plays it around 7th and 9th frets. So it messes it up. Thanks for reminding me to fix that. I'm used to it sounding like that by now. :)

Obviously a setup issue with the guitar intonation. I never doubted it was just bad tuning.

That being said, if you want to 'fix' the recorded track, I'd work that for ya free.

Get yer damn nut and bridge right already! :)

This sounds great man. You’re vocals are excellent. The actual recording is as well. The acoustic seems to have a little too much low mids. But just a hair too much. It is a fine line between balancing the low end and having it sound too thin but you may consider lowering the 400-500 a tad

Excellent work again. Your vocal sounds beautiful, and I agree with the tonal difference regarding the SM7B. (Love that mic, by the way.)

Beautifully performed all around. I'd never heard this song before. I can't say it really won me over, but that's entirely to do with the song and not your performance at all. I'm generally not a huge fan of M20 or Rob Thomas, so no surprise there.

But I listened through the whole song solely because of your performance. No mix critiques from me (aside from the slight acoustic intonation issue, but hey ... I listen to the Rolling Stones, so ...) --- sounds great all around.

And he’s back!!! With a bang.

Good stuff. Vocal is very well done and sounds nice and round. Fuck the slight intonation issues. Acoustic sounds great and is very present.
:thumbs up:

And he’s back!!! With a bang.

Good stuff. Vocal is very well done and sounds nice and round. Fuck the slight intonation issues. Acoustic sounds great and is very present.
:thumbs up:

Ha, thanks man. Yup, masters degree and FNP license in hand. Back to recording in my free time. Trying out the acoustic setup thing lately. My room needs a lot of improvement, that's for sure. And this acoustic is getting a lot of low end action. Probably, again, from the room. I should post some pics of the recording setupb, myb that would help narrow down the issues.

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Back