Not an mp3 posting, just a question

Brad

Sorry, I thought this might be the best place to post this question.

I read a little article on Slackmaster2k's website about inexpensive solutions to storing your music on the web. In the article, he mentions that mp3.com had some way of linking to your song files. I thought that sounded great, but I have not an mp3 account nor do I intend to get one. Then, I saw a post here in the clinic that said you could do the same with IUMA. Since that is where I currently keep my tunes, I was interested. I scoured the IUMA site and found no instructions how to do this. Is it proper? I mean, if they lose site traffic, aren't they gonna get pissed?
So, I haven't tried this yet, if anyone has any pointers, I would really appreciate it because I am a fookin' moron when it come to this kind of stuff. I am also curious: will I be able to link to the downloadable mp3 AND the streaming mp3? Boy howdy, I sure do hope this is possible.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

Nothing to do with "getting to M"?

Just kidding...

If you're looking for inexpensive storage/hosting for mp3's, try Collaboration Central. Doesn't get any cheaper than that (free). If it is exposure you're after, that's another thing, but inexpensive they've got you covered. The whole collaborating thing is fun, too.

Queue

Naw, those weird auto-multi posts don't up your post count (damn)

Actually, what I am trying to do is this: instead of posting a link to my IUMA page on my other website, I would rather just post a link to the song files themselves - so whoever is viewing my website can actually download the song without seeing my IUMA page. Ya know, skip the middle man. In Slack's article he mentioned that this was possible at mp3.com. Someone else on this BBS said it was possible on IUMA. I want to do it, but I can't find instructions for it at IUMA. It can't be as easy as setting the mp3 file address as the target for the link I create on my website, can it? That just seems too damned easy.

And the 2nd part of the question; doesn't this piss off IUMA? They don't get any page views if I do this. I don't want to piss them off, but at the same time - if they don't know it is happening, who cares.

Last edited:
Posting direct links is basically ripping off the company. The whole idea is that bandwidth costs money, so in attempt to make up some of the expense, advertising is placed on the sites.

That 'one extra click' you have to do in order to download makes approx. $0.0001 in advertising money, whereas if the download is 5MB, the bandwidth actually costs approx. $0.0341 (assuming $7/GB which is about standard going rate).

So, yes, it pisses them off if you direct link, and if you read the agreement that you 'sign' when you set up with such companies, you will find that direct linking is prohibited. And, of course, voiding the agreement makes you legally vulnerable...

If you want hosting without having to do that 'one extra click', you are going to have to pay for it. Alot of us simply can't afford to pay for everybody elses 'freebies'.

*sigh* somedays I wish there was actually something in life that was free....

W.

There is, dude, but you don't notice it cuz it's free... :D

Good to see you dropping by, Waldo. Good to see your site's still up, too.

It should be noted that the service I mention in that article is MP3.COM's B2B Audio Hosting service. It's scaleable and starts at 5 dollars per month for 50MB space / 500MB transfer. Nobody is getting ripped off.

IUMA might support what is called "deep linking". This is what MP3.COM used to allow until they started the Audio Hosting service. Deep linking means that you link directly to the audio stream from another website. This was not against the rules at MP3.COM until recently.

To see if you can do it at IUMA.COM, try reading your service agreement. If there's nothing in there about it, then try linking directly to a stream from your website. If it works, you're golden.

At any rate, the main reason I chose MP3.COM's service is that I had a bunch of "artist cash" stored up and nothing to spend it on. The downside of MP3.COM is the 128kbps limitation.

Brad, I think that you're going to have to pay for space if you're serious about this. There's really no good way to do it all for free. Either look into buying some storage space someplace (like with your ISP), or get a good domain host. For $50 a month you could probably set yourself up with a good host and have plenty of space with few restrictions. For $10-20 a month you could probably weasle some space out of an ISP. For $5 a month you can go the MP3.COM route (kind of a bitch and poor service, but it works...usually).

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks Slack - I did not mean to make it sound like what you mentioned in the article was ripping anyone off. I knew that it had to do with paying them. I was just concerned about the IUMA thing because I know it can be done, someone else had said it was okay, I just couldn't find anything documented on the IUMA site saying it was okay - I will read my service agreement (So that is what those are for?)

I am serious, but I only wanted to do this as a way designing my own music download page without the cookie cutter templates that places like mp3 & IUMA offer. My ISP just upped my space to 10megs, hardly enough to do what I want, so that is why the deep linking thing sounded good to me. I'll check it out. If I have to spend more, I guess I'll just keep the link to the IUMA page :(

Back