This Is not a Love Song

gummblefish

Twitchy Wanker
This is a provisional Mix of a track from my new album (In between love and war) The song is called "this is not a love song" . The main vocal and guitar where recorded live together in one take, the second guitar, doing runs was also one take as was the backing vox. The whole album was recorded in the same way. Tell me what you think, bearing in mind this is a provisional mix and it was mixed on headphones...im going to give myself about a week or so before mixing begins, then i will be getting the album mastered and go through all the proceedures before having an independent release.

Gumblefish:

Very good job
Excellent ambience room !!!("magic in the air...") :cool:
I´m curious about gear used too. Voice sounds very, very good and with a great "analog feel" too (rebember some 70´s folk songs).

I feel a certain lack of lows on rythm guitar, remember a "thin body guitar", which is not associated with this kind of song.But , in this song, room and quality recording/performance works , and as final result, you have a beautifull and punchyguitar tone , even without the "extra" lows.
(it seems recorded with a dinamic mic, am I right?)

Hey, I´m writing now and listening more and more, and each time seems the song is better ...

well, finally...GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW ALBUM !

Ciro

Last edited:
CIRO said:
Gumblefish:

Very good job
Excellent ambience room !!!("magic in the air...") :cool:
I´m curious about gear used too. Voice sounds very, very good and with a great "analog feel" too (rebember some 70´s folk songs).

I feel a certain lack of lows on rythm guitar, remember a "thin body guitar", which is not associated with this kind of song.But , in this song, room and quality recording/performance works , and as final result, you have a beautifull and punchyguitar tone , even without the "extra" lows.
(it seems recorded with a dinamic mic, am I right?)

Hey, I´m writing now and listening more and more, and each time seems the song is better ...

well, finally...GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW ALBUM !

Ciro

Thanks for listening and your impressions of how i recorded. The mic on the guitar is a MXL 603 and a sm57 on Vox. The room itself added to most of the sound. Its a fairly live room, natural wooden floors and very little in the way of absorbtion. This added to the fairly thin guitar sound. The Guitar is a 1969 Gibson j200. My signal path is fairly analogue right up until i record into cubase sx. I first go through into my Roland MMP pre amp then through my reel to reel and into my audio interface (edirol fa-101). I wanted to keep a warm analogue sound. I am very interested in Old Folk and Blues records and i wanted to try and capture some of this. Its odd you should say there was magic in the air. when first listening to playback i said "Theres Ghosts in that recording" great thing is they are all over the album. thanks man! :)

Nice tune man...guitar sounds pretty good. I like that it's sort of "thin"....it has no boom, and the tone fits the vocals well. Vocals have a few spots where they get a small amount louder, and you might try and tame those if you can....but they are not bad. It may simply be mic technique, which I have none of myself... :D

But the tune is good...and the recording and processing of it are pretty good. I like it man... :)

Very cool song - but not a love song :D -

I like the overall sound you've put down as well.

Nice guitar sound. Those Gibsons have a nice tone.

Cool theme and lyrics are well crafted.

The vocals sound really good. Harmonies are very nice too.

Very well done for first takes.

When will the CD be released?

:) :D :) :D

Thanks for your replies. CD will be released in October (hopefully) i have a few other things to do ie: Mixing then getting it mastered, duplicated and getting the artwork done. I have already got the artist that is going to design the layout and do the original covers and inlay booklets. I might have a kind of presentation box done, or do it on a kind of card (rather than jewel cases) but for the moment im leaving this to the artist. I will upload more tunes from it in time, maybe another one today...as most of you are from the US of A im afraid that many of you will probably never hear the album, as my chances of commercial release are slim to none. I may Start Bootleging my own album. :)

Damn! My computer for some stupid reason, doesn't like LightningMP3. I have no idea why. I can stream or downoad from anywhere else. I've got to look into this, because I'm missing alot of good music. Sorry, Gumble...Seems like I'm missing out on something good.

Just might have to buy the CD :)

RAMI said:
Damn! My computer for some stupid reason, doesn't like LightningMP3. I have no idea why. I can stream or downoad from anywhere else. I've got to look into this, because I'm missing alot of good music. Sorry, Gumble...Seems like I'm missing out on something good.

Just might have to buy the CD :)

Do you know any other free ones? I will upload to another one as well. Im not totally sold on Lightningmp3 either, sometimes it dosent play for me.

I'd say maybe just get a free page on Soundclick. When the site's working well, their player opens right away. That's the one good thing about Soundclick.

By the way, I'm not dissing Lightning. I know most people here use it and it works fine for everyone. My comfuser has a mind of it's own, and I'm on Windoze ME. Might be time to up-grade.

Cool...I was home when I tried listening before...Now I'm at work, but I'll check it out later for sure...AND I'll be drunk, so you can't go wrong. :D

Hey, this is REALLY nice. I'm impressed all the way around. I wouldn't change a thing. You should hook up with a guy who used to hang out here named Erland. You're both on that side of the pond. :D

Track Rat said:
Hey, this is REALLY nice. I'm impressed all the way around. I wouldn't change a thing. You should hook up with a guy who used to hang out here named Erland. You're both on that side of the pond. :D

Glad you like it, personally i thought this was the weakest song on the album. if you like this you'll love the tracks called "Prometheus of my soul" and "justice for the people". I will upload them in a bit.

"Prometheus"??? You type with a lisp. You sure the other one isn't called "Juthtith for the people"????

Sorry...I'm still waking up.

gummblefish said:
?????????? :confused:
It was a (bad) joke. "Prometheus" sounds like a variation on the word "Promise"...with a lisp...I already apologised.

Hey, at least I'm keeping your thread up at the top of the page. :D

RAMI said:
It was a (bad) joke. "Prometheus" sounds like a variation on the word "Promise"...with a lisp...I already apologised.

Hey, at least I'm keeping your thread up at the top of the page. :D

No worries, wasnt sure what you were getting at. I thought you might be saying that i spelt Prometheus Wrong or something. :)

Great song gumblefish. I like the clarity and feel of the rhythm guitar and the way the lead guitar's rounder tone fills in the sonority. Expressive vox. BG vocal's nicely in tune, especially nice up high at 2:05. Main vocal might benefit from a little dynamic control in occasional spots. I listened to the other tunes on the Soundclick page also. Nice work.

Tim

Back