This is not a cover

Bulls Hit

I've been messing around with this for a couple of months now.
I am a bit lyrically challenged so there's no vocals on it yet, but the arrangement is pretty well all there.

This is the first thing I've ever posted that hasn't been a cover so I'm interested in your opinion of whether you liked it, hated it, in addition to any comments on the mix etc.

Hear it at

http://www.nowhereradio.com/nowhereradio/singles

Did you loop the different sections in this? It sounds like you cut a few parts short becuase some of the transitions sound a little unnatural. At first I thought it sounded like a CD skipping.

But the song had a very unique feel to it; when I first tried to tap my foot to it the timing threw me off, but I think it works for this song.

The guitars sound good; maybe bring both up a little bit. I would like to hear what type of vocal line you're going to put in this (if any).

The kick drum sounds a little weak. Also I think you could improve the song a little bit by adding some fills or something that are different from the main beat.

But besides that nitpicky stuff it's a cool song. If you put vox to this or do another mix I'd like to hear it again.

Thanks for the review antij. At least you didn't hate it lol.

Yeh I took a different approach with this recording. Instead of tracking the drums in 1 big take, I did several takes, looped them and stiched them together. The stiching is obviously not quite there yet, but I can fix that.

The timing is based on a Bonham groove in a Zeppelin song called the Crunge.

Don't know what the hell happened to the bass drum. It seemed OK when I first recorded. I've already boosted the bottom end, not sure how much more I can give it. Instead of fills, I tried to put in different accents on the snare, bass and cymbals for the different parts of the songs.

The vocal melody and lyrics will be a challenge. I really don't know where to start with them.

Thanks again for the feedback...

This may just be the strangest thing I have heard yet.

What are you trying to do man!!!?!?!?!!?!?!

Seriously, i thought it sounded interesting. I didn't not like it but I can't tell yet if i liked it. It sounded like a commercial for MTV. A string of shock edits all strung together.

LOL!! second listen. I think i like it and it's making me laugh. Good work.

Heh 2nd listen. My evil plan is working haha.

Yeh the editing needs a little work. But hell, if it's making you laugh that's a bonus

I'm laughing because the editing seems to break a lot of recording guidelines or rules and yet is still sounds fine to me.

Like just doing instant cuts from one guitar tone and panning to the next jumping all over abrupt like. But I'm a fan of stuff like that but there are those who say don't do it because it prevents the illusion of a live performance.

Cool grooves. The tones suck and the timing is pretty whacky but I like the idea. God help the person who tries to dance to it, lol. It's like Fatboy Slim on heroine. Work on the looping times and sound quality and you could have some pretty cool shit.

Khompewtur - I guess that's why they say ignorance is bliss. I know what you mean about the live performance but it would be a stretch to do it on my own anyhow.

TexRoadkill - haha nice comparison. I think the timing is 9/8, or 9/4 maybe? The beat repeats every nine.

Appreciate the cool comments guys - means a lot to a rookie

I thought it was 1972 for a minute. This is pretty cool, I especially like the guitar. Very Robert Fripp. The drums sound a little hotter than the other instruments. I would bring the guitar up a bit.

Wow, what can I say?

Interesting? Yes, but it's like a old B Movie with bad editing going from one scene to another.

Yet through all of it, I liked it...

This is a work of art-lol. Maybe your trying to create the next new sound? The kick really overpowered everything. This wouldnt be a bad soundtrack. Reminds me of the soundtrack to Repo Man.
As they say in AA , "Keep coming back it works"
Myx

ashulman - Robert Fripp eh? I'm not familiar with his stuff outside Roxy Music, but that's a compliment.

lynx - yeh I wasn't nearly as careful with the editing as I should have been. Next time.

Myx62 - Interesting you say the kick overpowered everything. antij thought it sounded weak?? Maybe you had the loudness button on lol. You're probably right about the sound track though. I was going to put vocals to it but maybe I'll just leave it.

Guys, thanks for the kind words and taking the time to listen

Back