NOOB In Need Of Some Help!!

TheeDonnieRey

Hey Wassup!!

I Been Browsing This Site For The Longest Gettin Info And Tips And Finally Decided To Join The Community!! :D With That Being Said, I Been Mixing Tracks For About A Year, But Just Now Started Mixing Them From Scratch (Used To Use Presets)...I'm Just Looking For Any Advice Or Tips Or Criticism Or Anything About Whats Wrong With This Mix! And This Isnt A FULL Mix Because The Beat Wasnt Tracked Out So Really I Was Just Mixing Vocals, But Still I Want To Know How I Can Better Myself As An Engineer Because I Mix My Friends Music Too And He Is Really Good And I Want His Music To Sound Good As Well As Mine!! Thanks in Advance For Any Replys Its MUCH Appreciated!!

Tryna Cut by TheeDonnieRey on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

PEACE!

The vocals sound ok, but your drums are too low. Turn up the drums and the bass. Then use parallel compression on them to get them punchy. I'd also double some of the important words during the verses. Not every word, but the best lines and the punches.

I thought the vocals were very dry, but the other tracks had more than a little reverb to them. In that section that started about 1:00, it sounded like you were doing some delay tricks. I'd do a true double track of the vocal. It sounded OK, but it'd really pop if you double track.

I heard a lot of vocal artifacts - mouth opening/closing etc.

I also thought the song was missing a lot of low end. No big thumping base to build the song upon.

Thanks for the replies!! And yeh I had reverb on the verse but ig not enough...I had compression and EQ as inserts and used a send to add reverb...should I use the reverb as an insert as well? Or keep it as a send? Also can anyone suggest a good reverb plug in? I use cubase and I didn't really like the reverb on there...Maybe it's juss cuz im a noob and dont know a lot about the controls and shit yet haha

I'm not much of a reverb kind of guy. I like a little, but no more than that. I use a plug-in called SIR (System Impulse reverb). It requires the use of impulse files. You can find many free ones on the web. But you need to do some reading and a lot of playing around to get any good.

If I were to make one recommendation to you, I'd say to back off all reverb for now and work on the low end of your mix. To me, this mix needs a big thumping low end, and there just isn't anything there right now. I think that's a lot more important than reverb. Oh and double track the vocal in the chorus.

I'm not too good at this myself, but here are my opinions:

0:13 to 00:28 hats are too loud. Voice sounds somewhat dry and might sound better if it comes down a little bit. Also agree with TripleM. Needs some low end love =)

On the plus side, I think your voice is naturally well suited to this. It sounds good. It was also captured very clearly and sounds pretty good on its own.

As for the mix, the vocals and backing track aren't really gelling too well for me. The backing is very quiet, further back in terms of reverb, and is very bass-lite. The voice by comparison is very loud and clear and dry. It's just kind of out there on top of the music rather than a part of it.

I think you want to consider doing some EQ to the backing to get it to sound fuller, and also bring it up volume-wise compared to the vocals. I also think the vocals should have more verb or delay or something to drop them back in space a little more and get them integrated with the music. Good luck and thanks for posting.

I haven't listened to your track yet but to answer your questions, Inserts are really meant for processors (think equilizers, compressors/de-essers) and Aux Sends for effects like reverb, chorus, slapback, any time based effect.

Back