No Excuses - acoustic cover

andrushkiwt

Wanted to try an AIC tune since I always have fun singing their harmonies. Adding bass on this one, since the bass line really makes the song. Again, was a blast to play and record. Please let me know what you think of the mix.

Vocals - (sm7b) 2 low harmonies (both C, one about 5db under the other), 2 high harmonies (18L, 18R), EQ, CLA-76, CLA2A, tal-delay, tal-reverb

Rhythm acoustics - sigma acoustic, two takes, one 25L the other 25R, eq, CLA76, CLA2A (only a db of gain reduction), tal-reverb

solo acoustic - sigma, eq, tube driver, tal-delay xtra feedback, tal-reverb

superior drummer - hi-hat! :)

Awesome dude, I got nothing, really. Acoustic solo could maybe be a db or two louder, maybe. I don't know, sounds absolutely fantastic. Awesome job on the vocals as always, but great job on the bass too. Everything sounds great, listened twice and still can't find anything I'd change.

Johnny has a point, the solo really doesn't cut through enough.
Only two things that I would do...
1. a TOUCH more body to the vocals, maybe just on the low vocal.
2. I swear I could hear the click track on the fadeout at the end.

Other than that, I really like the guitar sound. Nice and crisp but plenty of body to it. And the vocal work is great. Alice would be proud!

2. I swear I could hear the click track on the fadeout at the end.

Other than that, I really like the guitar sound. Nice and crisp but plenty of body to it. And the vocal work is great. Alice would be proud!

Yes! Stupid click. I can't get it to where it's loud enough for me to hear but also isn't picked up by the mic. This has always been a problem. I'm using closed back headphones for tracking. HD280 Pro. I need to come up with something for that.

Thanks for the listen and comment

Hmmmm..........that click must be pretty loud if the HD280's don't isolate it from the mic.

Hmmmm..........that click must be pretty loud if the HD280's don't isolate it from the mic.

I doubt it's coming from the main area where the monitors are. I usually kept those quiet anyway. I have a thing with tracking loud... Helps me perform all the parts with a bit more energy, I think. I'll come up with something. Good point

I think its entirely possible that you're getting bleed from the headphones, if you've really got them cranked. I've tried tracking with my AKG 240s before and they are easily picked up over the mics. If its something that's already tracked, like drums, then its just more of a "bleed" than something that will be a problem, but a click track will stand out like a sore thumb.

A couple of weeks ago, I was comparing 4 different SDC mics with my guitar, trying to figure out which one was closest to what I wanted. While I was playing around, the cell phone rang and I answered it. It was an old coworker, and we chatted for about 20 minutes. The whole time the mics were live... forgot to hit the stop button. I was about 4 -5 ft from the mics the whole time. Afterwards, I was listening back to the tracks and to my surprise, I could actually hear everything that she had said from my cell phone. I don't have the phone all that loud. I guess those mics are pretty darned sensitive.

Anyway, if you have the 'phones up that loud, you might be getting into dangerous territory from a hearing standpoint. You might want to check into some of the drum isolation headphones. Maybe you can reduce the level of the click a bit and keep it off the tracks. 50 years ago people weren't as concerned with hearing loss as they are today. 50 years of rock and roll had taken a toll on a lot of us.

I doubt it's coming from the main area where the monitors are. I usually kept those quiet anyway. I have a thing with tracking loud... Helps me perform all the parts with a bit more energy, I think. I'll come up with something. Good point

I was referring to bleed from your headphones.

yea, i can hear the click from the metronome.
almost sounds like a hi hat click at times (in fact, maybe adding some hand percussion wouldn't be a bad thing)

great song, love the vocal treatments, good blend.

yea, i can hear the click from the metronome.
almost sounds like a hi hat click at times (in fact, maybe adding some hand percussion wouldn't be a bad thing)

great song, love the vocal treatments, good blend.

No, lol. You can only hear the metronome during the fadeout at the end. What you're hearing that sounds like a hi-hat is... a hi-hat. :)

Check the final 15 secs and you'll hear the metronome once the final chord rings out. But thanks for listening and for the comment. Appreciate it

I heard it too, almost thought it was actually kinda cool though. Was it from when you were tracking the acoustics?

I heard it too, almost thought it was actually kinda cool though. Was it from when you were tracking the acoustics?

I think you guys are mixing up the hi hat with the metronome. The metronome is definitely not audible until the fadeout at the end, fyi. Otherwise it's the actual hi hat you're hearing. :)

I think you guys are mixing up the hi hat with the metronome. The metronome is definitely not audible until the fadeout at the end, fyi. Otherwise it's the actual hi hat you're hearing. :)

Oh I know, the very, very end was what I was referring to. I thought it was actually kind of neat that I could barely make out the click coming in. I was on phones, too, which made it a little easier to hear, I imagine. Again, I thought it was kind of cool though.

Oh I know, the very, very end was what I was referring to. I thought it was actually kind of neat that I could barely make out the click coming in. I was on phones, too, which made it a little easier to hear, I imagine. Again, I thought it was kind of cool though.

ah, k. haha. Just making sure. Personally, I didn't want it there but yeah I could see how it could viewed like that. I really just think I should track quieter.

Wanted to try an AIC tune since I always have fun singing their harmonies. Adding bass on this one, since the bass line really makes the song. Again, was a blast to play and record. Please let me know what you think of the mix.

Vocals - (sm7b) 2 low harmonies (both C, one about 5db under the other), 2 high harmonies (18L, 18R), EQ, CLA-76, CLA2A, tal-delay, tal-reverb

Rhythm acoustics - sigma acoustic, two takes, one 25L the other 25R, eq, CLA76, CLA2A (only a db of gain reduction), tal-reverb

solo acoustic - sigma, eq, tube driver, tal-delay xtra feedback, tal-reverb

superior drummer - hi-hat! :)

Missed you guy! Haven't heard from you in a while. Another great song! Loved the way you did the vocals with the 2 delays on top of each other, made the vocals sound really full and like there were many singers. Good Job!!!

KIller man! great acoustic guitar tone, I wish I could capture that kind of tone, mine always tends to be harsh and flat, your sounds rich and complex , but not flubby if that makes sense...vocals are fantastic, great harmonies! Guitar break sounded cool, maybe could come up just a bit? Great job !

Sounds great overall. I'll second what others have said - vox could use some weight - I listened to "oh what a night" and that is a lot better, but even it could use a little more. If you are having issues with the click on the fade-out, just record that last chord strum without a click, and slide it right into the end over the top of the track with the click. This is a personal taste thing, but I'd be a lot more bold with the panning. If I hit my "mono" button, you can barely tell it collapses at all. Sounds decent now, but I think it would feel a lot more open if you panned the guitars and harmonies more.

Back