Nine Little Words

DigitalSmigital

A slice of analog pie?
Just me in the studio (okay, garage) here. A one day project from conception to your ears.

TASCAM 464
TASCAM 424 mkIII (both 4 track cassette)

Fender Rhodes 88 into Tube mp DI
mongrel drum kit close mic'd + overheads
Schecter Diamond through a Crate 50 watt all tube amp Ampeg stack; SM57 on the cone
vocals AT3035 into Tube mp

Keep an open mind...

Nine Little Words

Sweet, but its really 10 words if you count the 'Uhhs' at the beginning. Are those real drums? - if so, that is a great job recording them. I checked out your other tunes, you have a good sound. On Moni's Song, did you record the acoustic direct from the pickup? It has an electric sound.

Nice tune DS. Nice and jazzy. Like the staggered beat and the low harmony. Nice sound, I checked out shooting star too. More of the same. Recording-wise you sound like your getting a lot out of those Tascams. Keep up the fine work. Is that a real sax and if so are your playing it?

This is really cool...it has a nice groove and the mixed meter gives it a quirky feel. I think the guitar solo can come up a bit in the mix. Everything else sounds quite good...I like your keyboard work (love the rhodes) and the bass and drums are extra funk-ay. The vocal harmonies are nice and thick sounding, but you're right, you're a little off key at parts. No more than I am when I sing, though. :)

Pretty groovy...

The only thing that's pulling at me is the verb... Seems a little too wide for the rest of the mix, and perhaps tilted off the the left.

Looking forward to the mega-mix... Has a "Do You Feel" time of progression going on which is very smooth...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thanks to all for taking the time to listen! I'll see if I can answer your questions.

slkeen Yes, those are real drums. I am kinda new to recording, and have been attempting to get the best sound with my cheap gear. That was the real reason this tape got turned into a "project". I started to get a usable sound. Also, I did go DI on Moni's Song from the pick-up. Not the best way to record an acoustic! Actually, it's the worst!

Ray JThanks for the encouraging words. The sax is real, but that is the one instrument posted on my Soundclick site that I didn't play. But I am proud of the recording.

SynesthesiaI agree, the guitar solo was too deep in, I'll pull it up into the front of the mix when I get a chance. Thanks for the kind words!

John (Massive Mastering)Thanks for your time! Always appreciate kind words from a pro! I knew the 'verb was over the top, I guess I was trying to cover up my kit's shortcomings. I'll keep trying...

Back