Nine Inch Nails mix

I'm just not a NIN fan. I think Trent's music has all the heart of a toaster, but that's me. This sounds on par with all the NIN stuff I don't like, LOL!!! Seriously, you did a good job.

Trent leaked the album on the internet before it was released.
This was done as a publicity stunt pretty much.

You can download the seperate files from Trents website also.

Was fun to mix.
I dont think Trents mix is that good.
I prefer my own.

What do yous think?

Eck

Lots of reverb, and a strange effect where things seem to swelling. Think it may be your compression settings?

Yours (B) is definitely the better and cleaner sounding mix. But there's some odd irregularities, levels seem to be moving around too much.

Did he release this in Mac software only format again (like he did for The Hand That Feeds)?

I really liked the mix. It was indeed very different from a traditional NIN mix. But why is that? Because Trent has a mixing style that is intentionaly abrasive at times. I believe this is done to draw the listener's attention to specific elements of his songs. It also kind of heightens the sense of the music being 'industrial'.

That being said, I liked your mix. Elements of the song had much more of a sense of being 'mixed', as opposed to being drastically separated in the panning and the frequency space (ala NIN).

i have formed an opinion.

yours is better for the reasons lp2006 just pointed out.

strangly enough he wrote exactly what i was about to.

Lots of reverb, and a strange effect where things seem to swelling. Think it may be your compression settings?

Yours (B) is definitely the better and cleaner sounding mix. But there's some odd irregularities, levels seem to be moving around too much.

Did he release this in Mac software only format again (like he did for The Hand That Feeds)?

Cheers Pinky.
I didnt add much reverb to my mix.

My mix was actually the 1st mix, (mix A).
Mix B which is Trents mix is too muddy and not clear in my opinion. Trents drums arent very punchy either.

This was .WAV files I downloaded.

Thanks,
Eck

I really liked the mix. It was indeed very different from a traditional NIN mix. But why is that? Because Trent has a mixing style that is intentionaly abrasive at times. I believe this is done to draw the listener's attention to specific elements of his songs. It also kind of heightens the sense of the music being 'industrial'.

That being said, I liked your mix. Elements of the song had much more of a sense of being 'mixed', as opposed to being drastically separated in the panning and the frequency space (ala NIN).

Cheers for the reply.
My mix was mix A, and Trents was mix B.
Personally thought mine was better, punchier and clearer, but its all personal preference I suppose.

Ta,
Eck

Back