NIN Vocal Track? Any Takers?

jrlemonz

I am starting to get into covering other bands songs in a different manner then they once were. Usually by making them an instrumental, or taking a really heavy song and making it acoustic. I get some really cool rsults, and this is one of them. I covered "That's What I Get" by Nine Inch Nails. I am a HUGE NIN fan, and think that Trent (the magician behind their music) would be pleased with what I've done. Problem is - I can't sing, and this one is not an instrumental. I need a voice. Anyone want to take the job? If you can get it done into a 256 (or 128, but 256 preferable) kbit mp3, and I will give you access to my FTP to upload it, it would be killer. I don't care how great the recoridng osunds. I record most of the time with a 58 through a Behringer for my band's vocal tracks (we have a singer, but he can't pull of anything like Trent) and using a little experimentation with the Antares Mic Modeler plugin I can get some VERY decent sounding results. If anyone would like I will put up links to the original song too. here's what I have done so far, I haven't hit the bridge yet, but that shouldn't be too tough, and it needs that long ending chorus part, with synth leads I still have to do. It still needs some final touches and mixing type stuff I have yet to deal with, like those cool explosion sound effects in the original are gonna come into play at some point. Anyways, enough of me yackin.

It's 1.88 megs. Hopefully someone here likes NIN as much as I do and can sing to boot.

Jake

Well I fill one of your criteria........

Unfortunately for you it is only being a fan of nine inch nails. I'm starting to do bits of singing but HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOO can I sing NIN.

So can't help you out there. Myself I can't stand doing covers unless they are under two circumstances:
1 I'm playing it live in my band

2 I cover the song in MY style so that I think it sounds better than the orginal (allowing for a bit of pride) which immediately rules out NIN cause it is just perfect how it is.

I listened to your cover and without the vocals it sounds very empty. I understand you are gunna add other bits in but I wouldn't like to rely on the vocals THAT much. I think it is better doing your own tracks where you can work on getting a good original sound you like rather than imitation, i'm sure it gets damned tedious sometimes trying to get THAT sound. You've got some good sounds in there though. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ta
Nick

(if you are interested one of my tracks i've been doing bears resembelence to nine inch nails I think anyway. If you want a listen http://www.mp3.com/nicksellen track is called You Are Not What You Ought To Be. Not up quite yet, shouldn't be more than a day till it is, actually i'm gunna post up here when it is up.)

The song is by FAR not done. I am going to add much more layering and other such things. I just want to get the vocals done before I move into doing anything else. I believe that anything else I add has to compliment the vocals, since that is such a vocal heavy song. This song might end up on a tribute album, thats why I did it. Normally I cover really heavy stuff acoustic, or other extremes. I also cover a lot of stuff by the Cure as either really heavy, or really fast. The Cure rule.

Jake

It NEEDS vocals! Come on people! Someone who can sing?? Please! Download the regular song and see how it sounds... Nine Inch Nails - Thats What I Get. For those of you who have a problem downloading but are THAT interested, (thatw ould be surprising), it's on the album Pretty Hate Machine, its worth the money. Anyone that is interested in electronic music should check it out, the textures and songwriting on that album are amazing (especially having been recorded in 1988, before computers became a part of Trent's arsenal). SOMEONE PLEASE SING! I've gotten a little more done (explosion sound effects from the original have been sampled in, and I did thew whole song through) , but I want to have a major mood change when it hits the bridge, right now it all has that mellow trance feel.

Jake

jrlemonz said:
I am starting to get into covering other bands songs in a different manner then they once were. Usually by making them an instrumental, or taking a really heavy song and making it acoustic. I get some really cool rsults, and this is one of them. I covered "That's What I Get" by Nine Inch Nails. I am a HUGE NIN fan, and think that Trent (the magician behind their music) would be pleased with what I've done. Problem is - I can't sing, and this one is not an instrumental. I need a voice. Anyone want to take the job? If you can get it done into a 256 (or 128, but 256 preferable) kbit mp3, and I will give you access to my FTP to upload it, it would be killer. I don't care how great the recoridng osunds. I record most of the time with a 58 through a Behringer for my band's vocal tracks (we have a singer, but he can't pull of anything like Trent) and using a little experimentation with the Antares Mic Modeler plugin I can get some VERY decent sounding results. If anyone would like I will put up links to the original song too. here's what I have done so far, I haven't hit the bridge yet, but that shouldn't be too tough, and it needs that long ending chorus part, with synth leads I still have to do. It still needs some final touches and mixing type stuff I have yet to deal with, like those cool explosion sound effects in the original are gonna come into play at some point. Anyways, enough of me yackin.

It's 1.88 megs. Hopefully someone here likes NIN as much as I do and can sing to boot.

Jake

I'll do it, but how do you want the Vocal tracks?
(How are you going to insert them? I've done very little HD recording...I'm still on tape, and just use the PC for Editing Stereo tracks.
(I need to invest in a TDIF Card, so I can dump all the tracks from my Tascam's onto the PC for mixing.)

I'm just going to pop the version from PHM onto a DA38, and sing right along side of him, then I'll FTP the vocal tracks to you, once you give me the FTP.

Tim

Tim Brown said:

I'll do it, but how do you want the Vocal tracks?
(How are you going to insert them? I've done very little HD recording...I'm still on tape, and just use the PC for Editing Stereo tracks.
(I need to invest in a TDIF Card, so I can dump all the tracks from my Tascam's onto the PC for mixing.)

I'm just going to pop the version from PHM onto a DA38, and sing right along side of him, then I'll FTP the vocal tracks to you, once you give me the FTP.

Tim

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to sing over what you had for us to DL, and then send you that...but My thought is sending you just the vocals.

Oh yeah, do you want effects (reverb)on it, or do you want it dry?

Trent Reznor and Robert Smith (The Cure) are pretty much right in my vocal range...it's not "my style" normally....Man, I used to drive everybody nuts playing The Drowning Man by The Cure....My Ex and I broke up, and I was really suicidal at the time (early 90's), and I would listen to that over and over. I see Robert Smith as a form of Therapy! Hahaha

I quit listening to NIN after the EP came out....I just didn't really care for Downward Spiral...Hell man, My Band was doing Head like a Hole IN 1988! It was like nobody else had heard of Trent R...We saw him on tour back when it was just Him, and a Rack of Samplers and a Computer driving it all. He played here 3 times like that, once with Alien Sex Fiend (I think that may have been the last time around before he started catching on.)
After all the "Technopagans" caught on to NIN1...I quit listening to him...they couldn't even figure out what a Nine Inch Nail was for! Hahaha

Tim

I'd actually much prefer you singing over the version I did. I will finish it up today and email you a link to it along with the FTP stuff. 9 Inch Mails actually have multiple symbolic meanings. Jesus was crucified with 9 inch nails, but the statue of liberty also has 9 inch long fingernails. Makes you wonder.

jake

Wow. I'm glad to see you got somebody to do it. Be sure to post it on here (as i'm sure you would anyway) I'd really like to here it when it's done.

Tim Brown
I don't understand why you would stop listening to NIN because they became popular. I can understand not starting to listen to them because they are popular but surely if they are good then you can cope with the popularity. Unless of course he was tainted by popularity, which in my opinoin he wasn't. The Fragile is great too.

Ta
Nick

Back