Nick Drake - Leaving me Behind.. my version

I don't know the original, so will comment on just what I'm hearing. The guitar has a bit more 'room' sound to it (maybe its all ITB reverb, but it sounds different than the actual reverb I hear) than I like, and could possibly use a little 'air'. The vocal sounds close-miked in comparison, which is ok for sound, but I'd like to hear them sound more "in the same room". The rain/thunder at the end sounds too different - trebly, like recorded with a phone or something.

Last edited:
The song is lovely, and your version is expertly played. The guitar playing is exquisite. Well done! I'm a big Nick Drake fan and you've captured the feeling of his song, so that's the biggest hurdle.

I concur with the above comment that the mix sounds a bit disjointed. I feel like I'm hearing the guitar from across the room, but you are singing into my ear. I'm not sure exactly how to fix that, other than retracking the vocal and standing farther from the mike. You might first try rolling off the very high frequencies (>8K) and doing a notch cut on the very lows (around 100K). That might help diminish the proximity effect. Also agree that the rain effect isn't quite right. I like the idea, but that particular sample sounds a bit weird.

Sorry.

The song is lovely, and your version is expertly played. The guitar playing is exquisite.

Not really. His playing is uneven compared to the way Drake played. If you're gonna play Nick Drake you gotta be solid.

I concur with the above comment that the mix sounds a bit disjointed. I feel like I'm hearing the guitar from across the room, but you are singing into my ear.

I get that.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix that, other than retracking the vocal and standing farther from the mike. You might first try rolling off the very high frequencies (>8K) and doing a notch cut on the very lows (around 100K). That might help diminish the proximity effect.

There is no proximity effect; he's dealt with it. You're concentrating on what he can do with the vocal, but it sounds good. He could, however, turn up the guitar a bit and brighten it a bit, which will bring it up closer to the vocal.

Also agree that the rain effect isn't quite right. I like the idea, but that particular sample sounds a bit weird.

Yup. Foley's difficult, especially with rain. I tried rain and thunder one time, and it just sounded like white noise.

Back