Nice singing in metal tune :)

o0Charlie0o

Ok people, I can't mix this song anymore. I recorded all the guitars/bass/drums AND vocals my self this time. Its all me (except my singer does backups).

So it's gotten to the point where i can't mix it cause i've heard it way way way to many times and i could really use your help.

http://www.rheniummusic.com/toyou.html

Thank you!

very cool intro guitar effect......sounds a bit bass heavy....
like its clipping....
man chad(participant)...is gonna eat this up......lol..
maybe its the distorted guitar thats clipping......SOMETHING is...cool song btw..it seems to fluxuate a tiny bit time wise...1:51..thats where i hear it...cool vocal ilike the whispering...
yeah ...you HAVE to fix that clipping like the whole mix is way hyped........do that and its a killer song...i mean it is its a hyped mix of a killer song as it is now....

very cool.
jamal

Well there are 7 spots in the song where i put huge bass triggers so they would bump my g/f's car system (heh)

Also i recorded this all on a metronome however the drums probably did speed up in that little spot, but then got back on track...

What would you recommend to fix the clipping? Turning EVERYTHING down until the levels don't peak at all? Then let mastering do its thing or what?

I like the song, but the timing mistakes are very distracting.. the mix does sound too limited or normalized or something.. maybe it's the guitars that have that clippish sound.. not sure.. I would look into the timing issues more than anything else right now because that's the hardest thing to fix, or get right in the first place..

How can i bring up the guitar without it clipping like that?

I'm recording my mesa triple rect. through the bottom right speaker mic'd 3 inches dead on the cone through a DBX 386 pre-amp with a shure sm57...

I recently found out that getting the guitar sound i want is extremely diffacult...

Well, I'm writing this without reading the other comments, so sorry if I repeat something thats already been said.

Intro guitars sound very cool - nice space and cool tone. Actually all the guitars sound pretty good to me.

The drummer is bothering me. His timing is off and sounds like he's not very confident or something. The snare sounds very different from hit to hit (probably made your job tough). Also, the snare sound isn't my particular cup of tea - a little too much 'pop' and not enough 'smack' if you catch my drift. You did a good job on the metal kick sound although it could come up a bit and the snare down a little IMO. Nice balance to the cymbals.

Vocals aren't bad. Need some automation on the levels though.

It seems like you've done a good job creating separation between the instruments. Maybe too good a job - the main problem I have with the mix is that there is nothing to gel it together. The vocal and snare especially just sort of pop out. Anyhoo, my 2 cents. Good job.

Keep in mind I'm listening on fairly crappy speakers at work.

Thanks...

Any ideas on what i can do to give the guitars more life in the mix, and stop the clipping? Even if i have to re-record something?

I messed with the mix, brought the guitars forward, and i think i fixed all the clipping issues, but i don't know.

Please tell me what you think right now (and please dissregard whatever drumming timing issues you might hear)

Back