next attempt at getting better at this

new2mix

Alright guys. As I have said here before I am by no means even a half decent guitar player. This song has some really cheesy drum loops in the background. The song also sounds like 3 separate songs pasted together. At first I wanted the song to have a big break in the middle but then this ended up just being a song for me to add pieces to and learn. I am looking more for suggestions on the mix than the song and my playing as I know its crap.

Don't worry about the lack of response. It's happening to everyone. It's just a little slower around here lately.

I love the guitar tones and textures in this. Not crazy about the drum machine, but it is what it is and it sounds pretty good.

Nice change halfway through when it picks up. Nice playing. Retro yet modern. When the acoustic comes back in near the end, it sounds like a bad punch-in, though.

Overall, very nice playing.

It took WMP several attempts to buffer this enough to get it to play. I'm not sure if it's the host internet provider issue or my WMP. Once it got started, after about 2 minutes, it palyed to 1:00 then stopped and had to buffer again.
Again at 1:26 and so and on....etc etc... It plays faster than it downloads... This might have frustrated a few listeners who just give up.

I would recommend using Soundclick or Lightningmp3.com for faster access.

From what I heard the mix is good. It's nice and bright and punchy and clear. I agree with Rami's punch in comment. Playing is good too....

DAmn... not really what I expected to hear. I thought you guys were gonna tear this one up. It is a bad start to that acoustic part on the third part. The guy took his taylor back with him though. If you listen to it again the first two acoustic parts are on a takamine g240 (190$) guitar. The last acoustic is on a taylor. So I am waiting for him to bring it back over and re-record it. I played the last lead part and he played the first two and the intro arpegios. I don't really think the first lead part fits the feel of the song. The drum track is just a place holder until I send it off to my friend to play with and record some drums to it and my other frind to add a bass part.

I like the middle part, its really cool. The midi drums suck, if you want, I can do some EZdrummer or Addictive for ya (when I have Time). Just give me the tempos.

The Tempo is all at 120 BPM. I used the drums a basically a metronome because I hate the click sounds and I had a few 120 bpm drum samples to play around with. This brings up a question I have though. If you were to make a drum track for me do you just use the mp3 file and make a wav file to send me and I add it to my tracks in REAPER or what? I guess what I am asking is whats the best way to collaborate on these tracks?

If you were to make a drum track for me do you just use the mp3 file and make a wav file to send me and I add it to my tracks in REAPER or what? I guess what I am asking is whats the best way to collaborate on these tracks?

That's usually the way I've done it. Chances are, he'd convert the MP3 into a WAV to get into his recording system (or at least, that's what I have to do)...then he'd play along to it and send you back the Wavs.

I can make a wav, mp3 or whatever, of the whole drumset, or each individual drum track for you to mix. just a matter of getting them to you, I can put them on sendspace or somthin like that.

EDIT and do you want the drums to be ezactly what you have there or do you want some fills and stuff?

Those drums on there are basically just place holders. Have at it. Do whatever you would like with them. I am excited to here what the ezdrummer sounds like.

thanks for helping out with this.

Those drums on there are basically just place holders. Have at it. Do whatever you would like with them. I am excited to here what the ezdrummer sounds like.

thanks for helping out with this.

no problem I'm currently unemployed so :D:D i'm almost done, Just need to do the last part.

Thanks for the drums polska.. See if you think I did an ok job mixing them in. I had to make the toms all one track using cool edit pro and then make the overheads one track. My computer will apparently only play about 14 tracks without slowing down enough that it stutters. Also I had to turn off almost all the effects while mixing or it would do the same thing. I put them back on for the output. See what you think..

Thanks again..

Thanks for the drums polska.. See if you think I did an ok job mixing them in. I had to make the toms all one track using cool edit pro and then make the overheads one track. My computer will apparently only play about 14 tracks without slowing down enough that it stutters. Also I had to turn off almost all the effects while mixing or it would do the same thing. I put them back on for the output. See what you think..

Thanks again..

Dude its all good for me. i think it sounds a lot better despite my lame ass grooves.

it does sound much better. While there were parts of the drums that I would have done differently (if I could do them at all) I think you had some really good ideas in there. Being an inexperienced person at creating music I tend to do things like make the drums start and stop with the changes in the song. It tends to make the change seam like a totally different song instead of a different part. I like that some of your fills and such went farther into the parts than just a quick fill on the last 4 beats of the part. I really appreciate you throwing those my way. Hopefully as I get better (much better hopefully) we could work some other stuff out. Thanks again.

How hard is it to create those tracks with ezdrummer?

anybody else? any comments on the mix. I think I still need to work on the last section. The drums seem to get on top of the mix in that section a little. Also I need to do something with the change between the first and second section.

Dude im listening to it now an i think you got the drums synched wrong. Make the drums start 1 bar earlier and the fills will acctualy match the music :D:D

EZ drummer is pretty easy, and so is Addictive which i used here. Check out the addictive Demo http://www.xlnaudio.com/downloads its really cool.

I took the drums and started them at the beginning of the music. Did you give me a bar intro? If so that would make sense as to my comment about would have done some of it differently *L*. I will play with this when i get home tonight. that would also makes sense as to why you gave me what I thought was 1 extra bar on the end.

Back