Newer mix of a previously posted song

DarthFaders

Okay...I've only heard this one on my monitors (hasn't passed the car test yet,) but I'd like to know what you guys think of it.

Thanks,

Darth

can't see how this one wont pass the car test.......speak of cars (note the amazing segway), this has 'the cars' written all over it.........gotta love 'the cars'

sounds good man......nice clean mix.......good song

jesus i cant think of anything that isnt fucking great on this...

so il just say .......im looking for the razor blades and drano.....its been fun...

jamal

darth...
nice sound... it'll pass the "car" test just fine...

hey ...nashville huh... I'm not too far away... hit all the stores (uh..pawn shops) there about once every other month or so.

what do you record with, btw?

oh yeah...I'd shave this down to 3:04 ...down from 3:11 to make sure this is radio "ready":D ;)

Jamal: I could see bringing the guitars up just a bit in the beginning of the lead...mainly the first half of the lead. Good call, Jamal.

Mix: I record with a Roland 2480, a lot of mics, and my PC for editing/pugins. I'm on the verge of purchasing an Apogee Rosetta and a Grace 201...which I'm totally pumped about!

The fade out is terrible...gotta fix that..but I was rushing...and it's easy to fix. And the guitars need a bit of 'swelling' here and there...but it's really close to being done, I think.

Again, thanks guys,

Darth

Hey, Darth

I have a question. How did you go about eqing for the synth? I like how it's heard clearly, but not too loud at the same time. If you could, please share the EQ setting/techniques with us.
Thanks, and this mix doesn't need any comment from me cuz it simply rocks!!

AL

I'm still happy with the mix...the things that I hate most: I wanna swell the guitars whole hell of a lot more, and edit a few vocal parts, and then I'm done, well, after I fix the fade at the end, too!

A1A2: The keys aren't EQ'd at all. I tracked them direct through the line in of an Aphex 207, and just 'rode' the faders throughout the song. I think the keys are the only thing in the tune that isn't EQ'd or compressed to hell. Pretty straightforward, I guess!

Darth

the fidelity is diamond shiny. I liked the timbre of everything. some hellatious tightness in the vocals too. 's already been said bout bringing the guitar up a little. Id prefer a little darker snare but what you got is great. 'took me 19.5 min to download and worth it, yep.

Good stuff Darth,

I have read a few raves of your mixes in the equipment forums and now I know why. I tried (in jest) to "Use the Force" to trade your money for my wisdom instead of priorities.

Good sound and songwriting as well...are those live drums? Loops or machine?

I would describe it as honest (not "comercialized") homegrown pop and I don't see any reason why it should not get prime time airplay on the radio etc.

You definately have a gift.

God Bless

this won't be popular...but, I like the original board mix better than this.

the vocals are starting to sound a little "played with" to me...

the board mix just sounds "fuller" esp. on the music side. It's like I am losing the music now and hearing more of a solo'd vocal track with a lot of fx. - listening on my home stereo (marantz reciever + boston acoustics speakers + boston acoustics sub)

it's not a bad mix...i love the song...but, the board mix will be what remains in my mp3 collection for personal listening....it just has more vibe to me.

also, if you are going to let them release this as "finished" and still have it saying "and the rest is compromised of the less..", that's a shame.

i know chris pointed it out way back when...but, it really is a big deal. bugs the hell out of me too...

good work though man.

-wes

I think it's a great mix, Darth, for what it needs to be. The vocal is HUGE upfront, just like it is on the radio.

But for the Love of God, splice out a freaking syllable to save the singer/writer about 100 IQ points.

( "compromised" - "om" = correct)

Or at least tell me that you discussed it with the band, and they consciously chose to go with the wrong word so I can shut the hell up about this. I'd venture to guess that most of us here aren't geniuses...we're just regular music fans...If WE noticed it, I guarantee you others will...and the only reason I'm still rambling about this is b/c I think you're pretty talented, and there's absolutely no reason to have that turd right in the middle of every chorus, LOL.

Okay, I'll speak no more of this.
:D :D

my post is with the best of intentions, though - even if I sound like an ass.

yeah,the word should be "comprised".....I know it's hard to fit it in as a "singable" word but Chris is right.The word "Compromised" doesnt make sense in the line....maybe he could sing the word like this "com-comprised".......just a simple stutter of the "C" will work...same amount of syllables as "compromised" AND it would now be the CORRECT word.:D

carry on!

Back