new twangy kind of song

acidwashed

just finished this up and have been touching up the mix. just wondering if anybody cared to comment or likes/dislikes the song in general.
thanks!

the backup vocals are too loud and too often. the vocal panning is distracting. maybe a centered main vocal? I did'nt like the delay thing in the middle of the song, it sounded gimmicky. the organ should come up a bit or the electric guitar down a bit when the organ comes in.....it's just a little too far back in the mix. the intro is abrupt (needs some sort of hint that the song is beginning) and the outro is kinda cheesy. I like the tune but I think you are very capable of improving it from what I heard here.

love it! dont know why but i do! vocals sounded almost like the beach boys, not just because of the harmonies, but the tones of the voices. musically quite like the flaming lips.

thanks for the comments and advice guys.

i use cool edit pro 2 and used a ppa r-one ribbon on the vox going through the sytek.. as for effects on vocals, there's just a touch of compression and then i tripple tracked them, not paying too much attention to exactly how 'on' they were. then i panned one left and one right 50% each and ran one up the middle.. as for the harmonies, they're panned a little wider and echoed a little with whatever cep2 has for echo. during the chorus i put some cep2 distortion on the harmonies to fry them up a bit.

i'm working on a mix that's not so glitched at the end..just delayed on the ones with no ring out on the end. after listening, i agree that the background vox are a bit loud and i edged them down a little as well. actually, it's done and i can put that up if you're interested.

flaming lips meet beach boys - i like that comparison. thanks.

I'm not a big fan of the snare sound, but I don't know how to fix it. Is there a way to bring the guitars up and/or make them more clear? Nice tune though and I agree with the others.

the snare was a 421 through a sytek. what didn't you like about it? i'm not a fan of the signature snare game so i just usually put it in the mix in a way that is unobtrusive. i tried to eq the elec. guitar a little but i usually just screw things up when i start eq'ing guitars and left if be. it's done with the ppa ribbon i think. i guess sometimes smooth = muddy? i'm working on that one for sure.
thanks for listening!

yup its good stuff. the thing is, the recording isn't amazing or "pro" sounding", but the song is cool, the production is great, and the performance is there. i like the hand claps!

This is a great pop song

Reminds me of what the travelling wilbury's were trying to accomplish.

Only point I would make is the guitar solo is completely out of whack for the song:
1. Way too fuzzy sounding
2. The performance of the solo sounds unsure and amateurish compared to the rest of the song.

Re-record that with a more competent sounding guitar solo and you have a great song! I think the background vocals are just tremendous.

hey all, thanks for taking time to listen to this song. i'll be releasing an internet only ep in the coming weeks. if you want to hear more stuff, check out http://www.myspace.com/thespectacularfantastic

thanks a lot for the critiques too. i love to hear another opinion. sometimes recording everything yourself can get a little too focused if you know what i'm saying.

thanks.

Back