New tune - soul pop thing, comments?

Here's the song, please let me know what you think if you listen. Sounds fairly ok to me, but if anyone hears anything drastically wrong...

I happened to like it! Songwriting, execution, and all. Of course, I hear where you're limited production-wise, but it sounds likes you're getting the most of out of your gear; and I say that without knowing what it is!

Certainly would be interested to hear that song in full production, with live instruments and all!!!

Good job! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the comment! That was recorded with Cubase SX, and other than my real vocals and guitar, it was all vst instruments like Lounge Lizard for the electric piano. It was also my first attempt at using drum loops from a sample cd. Usually I play them from the keyboard with the Native Instruments Battery program. The loops were more work I think...

Vocals were recorded with a Rode NT-1, just on a mic stand beside where I sit at the computer. All a one man operation!

Pretty cool little pop tune.I liked everything about it except the drums.They sound to thin.Midi?Other than that it was a good pop tune with an effective hook.

hell i think it sounds great !!..vocals really sound good...
the drums are a little thin sounding like kramer said...but the song itself is catchy....!!!:)
du du du du daaaahhh....love that part.
keyboard is great just needs a diff sound ...the patch sounds cheap..??..make sense?..lol...the melody is really nice.

liking it

jamal

keyboard

Hmm, I kind of liked the keyboard lead part! I was purposely looking for something a little cheesy as it was supposed to be a 70s pop kind of sound. I may change it though.. it was from a VST-i analog modeling synth.

Drums are from a cd of retro drum grooves. After this I'm going back to playing the drums from the keyboard. Way more control, and you can change the sounds at any time.

Thanks for all the input!

I love the retro sound. I would mix it with a little more keyboard pads with a newer sound. The contrast would be great. It would add class without taking away the 'classic' sound.

On a second listen, it begs for a 16th 'chaka chaka' pattern tamborine in the chorus, with maybe an 8th pattern in the verses. I would drop

I'm a drummer, so I am biased. I could hear a few simple tom fills too.

Kinda weird, but the annunciation of the lyrics really works for me. I love the 'bean' rather than 'bin' for been. Make sense?

man, people gotta be nicer in this forum. THis is good, especially the vocal, reminds me a lil of that guy from RedHotChilliPepper:)

My only complain is the level, things seem to pop out too much from time to time, other than that, this is nice

AL

I like the arrangement of your tune. The singing is very "on the mark". You did good tracking all the instruments as well. Some of the midi voices could use more ambience and maybe a little more acoustic sounding fatter patches, but are played well. There are some points in the tune where there's some spikes in the volume, that would be easy to smooth out. I'd like a little heavier bottom in the mix in the drums and bass.

the instrumentation made me almost think it would be a wildcard.

I would like to see what the matchbpx twenty guy would come up with were he given the backing track to this.

The vocal melody can use a re writing to find a wildcard and definitely harmonies are a good thing.

Auto tune?(Not meant as a compliment)You can sing fine but it sounds kinda manufactured.Too much chorus?Especially the harmony vox,not so much the main.Way sappy,like I'm pumped full of ludes and watching lifetime channel.Good mix.Weird stereo warble going on in the phones.The guitar doesn't have to be pinned so hard to one channel IMO.Good vocal sound quality but the effect on it is ruining it for me.Robert Smith fan?

Back