new tune - one more day

braden_

hey guys i'm pretty proud of this one, so try not to point out too many flaws!

lol kidding, let me have it! i take all tips... thanks in advance if you point something out.

Sea & Silence - One More Day by sea & silence on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

gear:
vocal mic (both male and female): AT2050
guitar: breedlove atlas stage d25/sr
guitar mic: AT2050 and AT Pro37
with an egg shaker and a tamborine both recorded with the AT2050...
Presonus Inspire and Audition 3.0

blockfish on my vocals (male) and a touch of it on the guitar tracks, plus audition's studio reverb on that track
female vocal track actually has the 80's ballad amplitube 2 preset on it
bit of 'verb on both the tamb and the egg, panned opposite 50/-50
guitar is panned -80/80

recording situation was a lot of blankets behind me and behind the mic... still working on that room setup thing...

Nice tune,

The male vox are very pitchy, something needs to be done there.

The female vox sound good the way they are treated.

The acoustic guitar needs to have some EQ out of the low end, along with the guys voice. and try cutting the shaker at around 2khz to rid some of the harshness.

I like the tonality and effects on the voices.

Nice tune,

The male vox are very pitchy, something needs to be done there.

The female vox sound good the way they are treated.

thanks, unfortunately not much i can do for now about my vocals.... practice practice practice, right?

thanks, unfortunately not much i can do for now about my vocals.... practice practice practice, right?

You can use pitch correction (not autotune!)

Pitch correction can be used to straighten a bad note here or there. Alot of your vocal is OK, but if you plan on putting your recordings out for repeated listening you dont want to have sour notes.

I liked the tones of your voice better in the second half of the song than the first..... it could just be the element of "recording" that catches us in the beginning until we remember what we're singing about and the heart returns to serving the song without ever knowing it.

The backing vocal: I like the deep layering of the effects on it and also the way it passes through behind the main structure. .... I think that for me it is in there about twice as much as it needs to be. Voices like that are like syrup. They taste really good when applied in the proper amounts, but, when you have to eat your pancakes with a straw, it's excessive.... However, I'd use her voice without the effects here and there to keep the whole dynamic in the same color/vein.

A lot of this is just a matter of personal tastes.

I'd also fade in and out on the shaker and allow it to really accent the chorus'. ..... of course I say that and I'm here loading up my own songs with a shaker..... mine is the dog's choke collar. She was playing it horribly, so I took it off of her, and then thought "why waste it?"

It is a great song. It has elements from the likes of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, Spacemen 3, Spiritualized as well as shoegaze music. Also the male vox sound much better as the song progresses. Maybe have a beer or two before recording vox because it is obvious that you are a decent singer but perhaps need to loosen up a little?

I agree with a lot of the comments above. the girl's voice - very nice, love the reverb. Your voice - you do have a good voice and the majority of it is pitched well, just a few issuses here and there (not sure about the beer advice, if your anything like me, my vocals go all over the place after a whiff of beer):drunk:

Bringing the shaker in and out as well.

thanks everyone! i appreciate it. i will try and fade the shaker in and out to use it to emphasize more, and adjust the eq to tone down the harshness. i'll repost when i get a chance to work on my own songs, i've been working on some recordings i did for a friend's bluegrass band that's taking time out of working on my own stuff, but i'll try and post here when i get a chance to work on it some more.

You can use pitch correction (not autotune!)

Pitch correction can be used to straighten a bad note here or there. Alot of your vocal is OK, but if you plan on putting your recordings out for repeated listening you dont want to have sour notes.

any advice on pitch correction software other than autotune? hopefully not something bank-breaking

Back