New tune, new monitors, new room

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
Hi all. This is the first tune I've done since making major changes to my environment. New monitors and lots of rigid fiberglas. This is a very quick mix of a new song and I'm wondering how the low end is translating. I think I may have to tweak the low trim on the monitors a bit. Give it a listen if you get a minute.

Song is called chaos

Thanks

hey dawg,
song sounds great. I think that everything sounds very good. Nothing overbearing or lacking that I can tell. Great song, great singing. All of the instruments, sound great. Awesome performance.
definately a keeper.
Jason

Thanks for the listen Jason. I really need to get myself a half decent stereo in the house. The only thing I have to check mixes on is my crappy car stereo with blown speakers, or computer speakers.:(

Very nice song, great mix.

I thought the lead vocal and harmonies really blended well. The drums, bass and lead guitars all sat together nicely.

The acoustic opening seems a little bright/harsh to me ears, could be these headphones though.

I thought I was listening to the radio for a second. I don't know if you will take that as a compliment or an insult but it sounds like it could be on a clear channel station. The only thing that lets down in the mix are cymbals. Sometimes they seem like you might have a really thick dark crash. On the other hand the china sounds great. The breakdown at 2:30 definitely takes the song in a new direction before it gets too familiar. The fade out at the end is also a bit abrupt. Overall it sounds great, you could fool anyone into thinking they were listening to a bigger production than a home studio.

Phyl, Kristian

Thanks for the listen.

This is definately a rough mix. Is the low end tight? Not mushy or too boomy?

There are a few things that need straighten out. I noticed the lead voc at the end is panned a little left. There is going to be a guitar solo after the arrrrrrrrrrrough!!! part. Guitars need a little eq'ing I think. But the good thing is, this was about a 1 hour mix. So I guessing that my new monitors are control room treatments are helping in that respect. I was indeed shocked myself how easy I got the mix this far.

Thanks again for the compliment.

The bass and drums sit really well together. The kick and the bass are a good compliment. The acoustic in the intro is definitely harsh though even more so when compared to the distorted guitars.

The vocal sound is really good, big and on.

spankenstein said:
The bass and drums sit really well together. The kick and the bass are a good compliment. The acoustic in the intro is definitely harsh though even more so when compared to the distorted guitars.

The vocal sound is really good, big and on.

Yep, gotta fix that accoustic. That's how it sounds though. Very twangy. I guess maybe I don't have to adjust my trim on my monitors.

Well - this is kinda funny HangDawg...

I just walked out of Guitar Center with a set of Event Studio Precision 8 Active speakers myself...kind of afraid to open the boxes, hehe but I guess I will. I'm a former Alesis M1 active user and was planning on getting Dynaudio BM6A but kinda got cold feet since I couldn't hear them first.

I picked these Event SP8A speakers from Alesis 820DSP, JBL 6328P (too expensive) and a bunch of lesser sounding models (including Mackie HR824 and M-Audio BX8 which I was seriously considering).

I'm a garage guy too ! Are you still enjoying the Events ? Or should I take mine back before I open them ? :D

Back