New tune: Dust Under The Wheel

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
My ears (which are still in training) are at the point of complete fatigue dealing with this mix. I would appreciate any/all constructive feedback to help me figure out if I'm one the right track (pun intended) on this tune or not. :rolleyes: Besides the production elements, please let me know what you think of the song itself (i.e. arrangement, performances, etc.). I trust you guys will bust my balls on this one... :D

Dust Under The Wheel (link)

Thanks.

-mr moon

Listening now. I think the performances is very good all over. I also like the song. The timing on the performance is also tight in my ears.
But the mix doesn't sparkle. It's somewhat definated and pretty much well layered imo, but I think it maybe lacks some panning/panorama and some small arrangement stuff to widen it/make the arrangement more interesting panoramawise. And also some more high EQ. Don't know where though.
Actually I don't even know if it is that it needs. It just doesn't sparkle enough.
If you see what I mean.
Think it is the fact that it lacks some high frequencies here and there.
Now I'm repeating myself :)

Emusic said:
Listening now. I think the performances is very good all over. I also like the song. The timing on the performance is also tight in my ears.
But the mix doesn't sparkle. It's somewhat definated and pretty much well layered imo, but I think it maybe lacks some panning/panorama and some small arrangement stuff to widen it/make the arrangement more interesting panoramawise. And also some more high EQ. Don't know where though.
Actually I don't even know if it is that it needs. It just doesn't sparkle enough.
If you see what I mean.
Think it is the fact that it lacks some high frequencies here and there.
Now I'm repeating myself :)

Thanks for the feedback feedback!

Doh! ...Now I'm repeating myself too!

:)

-mr moon

The vocal could be a bit brighter in the mix and more up front.

The snare sound is a bit too "plaffy" if that makes sense. I think some sharpening would go a long way on some of the other tracks as well. I guess without knowing what has been done I would suggest cutting some of the low fequencies especially in the cymbals. The bass is kinda bloaty in the mix and the guitars seem to be fighting in the 300 hz range.

First impressions from a half ass pair of speakers.

The kick and snare are dull and lifeless.
The toms ok though.

The vox could use more volume and presence IMO.

The guitars sound real nice.

The mix sounds gelled up, but the kick and snare bring the song down is all.

Oh the fade out is a little abrupt too.

xfinsterx said:
The kick and snare are dull and lifeless.
The toms ok though.

The vox could use more volume and presence IMO.

The guitars sound real nice.

The mix sounds gelled up, but the kick and snare bring the song down is all.

Oh the fade out is a little abrupt too.

Thanks for the fedback! The kick track (on all 17 tunes from this last-minute session) is one of the most non-musical turds I have ever had to deal with. I have had to deal with it on all these tunes, as we were happy to just get anything recorded that day due to Murphy's Law in relation to our gear. I will take another listen to the snare and vocal tracks.

Danke!

-mr moon

jake-owa said:
The vocal could be a bit brighter in the mix and more up front.

The snare sound is a bit too "plaffy" if that makes sense. I think some sharpening would go a long way on some of the other tracks as well. I guess without knowing what has been done I would suggest cutting some of the low fequencies especially in the cymbals. The bass is kinda bloaty in the mix and the guitars seem to be fighting in the 300 hz range.

First impressions from a half ass pair of speakers.

Thank you sir!

-mr moon

jake-owa said:
Wow, I must be on ignore.

Why do you say that? I got your feedback and will be printing it out to read at my DAW while I mess with the tune more later. ;)

-mr moon

xfinsterx said:
HELLOOO Soundreplacer! ;)

Yeah, I guess that would be an option, but we'd rather deal with what we recorded than replace it with sampled stuff ...its just part of our vibe. We also don't use any form of AutoTune or other various tools to try to "fix" tracks: vox, guitars, bass, and whatever else ...if we can't play it as we need it ourselves, we don't track it.

The drum tracks were recorded all in one day during a 5 hour period. We recorded 17 tunes in this 5 hour period. We had spent a few hours trying to trace down a short in a cable and trying to get our recording computer functioning properly (long story short: don't assume your computer is going to work and wait to test it until the day of the session), so we were just happy to get levels at all! We didn't spend hardly any time placing the mics for best sound, as eveidenced by the unholy clusterf#ck of a kick sound we achieved. :o

So, that's why we'll just work with what we have, rather than try to make it sound "perfect" using sampled sounds. Heck, these tracks are only for a demo EP anyways, we'll be doing a "for real" session later this year...

Thanks!

-mr moon

Back