New Tune #2....feedback appreciated!

Gosh!

That's a pretty tune. Really nice melodic lines with not too much stepping on each other.

The middle and and ending part around 1:45 and the at 3:50 are a little too loose rhythmically. Perhaps that could be tightened up?

THe only part missing from this very nice song would be some vocals! I started singing lines at random to myself, wanting something to be there. Perhaps you could write some lyrics? It could be a great love song or a song about missed opportunities?
I don't know. Think about that.

The bass too was a bit muddy in spots but it wasn't horribly off or all that distracting.

Very nice effort overall.

Cheers! :)

I appreciate that melody. A very nice arrangement. It needs something, maybe a vocal or let that piano playing the smooth melodic line come up more in volume centerstage. The flange guitar tictac was a nice tone but i`d move it back in the mix a little. The solo guitar was really nice sounding. The drums, especially the tons would be nice with some more tone on them. The cymbals are real full and dominate the drumkit a little. Bass was smooth, got a little too busy in the two sections where the guitar took the light. Very nice piece to me though.

Thanks for the responses guys! Ya, the middle and last sections were ones I was pulling my hair out over. I was going to put a flute track where the guitar solo is, but after doing the guitar soloing it helped a lot of what I thought was problematic about the rhythmic change up.

Toki- the flange guitar I think your talking about is actually my bass. The only guitar on the whole thing is during the solo parts. I am chording with the left hand and doing a series of hammer ons, pull offs, and tapping with the right and it enables me to do some cool melodic lines. People seem to go crazy about it when I play live so I thought I would do an album that kinda cenetered around the techniques. The thing is I wanted the melodic bass to be prominent, but in truth I have been a pianist since I was four and so of course when I fill in the piano line I can't help myself and I got so damn melodic it took away from the bass part so I put it back a bit in the mix, but I see what you are saying and my have to just face the facts the piano took over and bring it up. Maybe others have more to say about it. Btw...I really appreciate your input. Your comments on my first tune were right on and really helped me out. Hopefully I can cure the drum issues when I get real drums in and mic them up.

Did the real low end seem too much? It's translated pretty well on the stereos I have played it on except for my best friends, where he is conviced he could put the track on and rent his speaks as dual vibrators :D , but he had a bass boost on and the bass up really high. I notice on my home stereo it sounds great, on my computer the bass is a little high in the mix, in the car sounds good, two other friends it sounds pretty good.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated!

Thank you guys for taking the time....

"Did the real low end seem too much? It's translated pretty well on the stereos I have played it on except for my best friends"

well, I listen to most folks stuff on a small set of speakers I use for the computer and scratch mixing. If I think there`s some deep bass I`m missing I go to a set of monitors I use to do my mixes with. There was plenty of low end on those, but not overdone to me.
cool deal on the tictac sounding parts on bass, I thought it was like a LP with fat strings or something doing it.

Thanks for the compliments, it's a pretty unique style of playing and bass sound, I can see how it would sound like something besides a bass.

Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?

Very pretty, indeed....

The bass didn't really bother me...Somehow I think it would have sounded REALLY cool with a fretless bass on it.

Now that you mention a flute, I think that would add to the feel of it...Maybe half the solo with Flute, the other half with lead guitar.

Not much more to add, as it sits pretty well for me.

VI

Thank you Village Idiot!

Ya, I am thinking about tracking a flute part that would take the place of the guitar solos, and listen to it in various forms, one being one solo guitar, and one flute....

It's been a while since I have dusted off me old fretless *snif snif*. If I remember right, tapping is a bitch without frets :( but I am thinking it will make an appearence somewhere on this project.

Thanks for giving it a listen.

Back