New track "Skyfish"- looking for some feedback!

constantthought

"Skyfish"

I just finished this track this morning and I wanted to get some opinions on it as a whole and see what you guys thought.
I'd say genre-wise it's electronic/funky/? :P

Anyway, here it is. Let me know what you think of the mix
artworks-000055533562-gsd7pi-t200x200.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of views but no comments yet. Only takes 3.5 minutes to listen to and is a great help to me :) This is a headphone mix and it would be good to hear how that translates onto other systems

Things sounded pretty well balanced.

Only a couple of minor complaints. The distortion on the bass line gets a little fatiguing after a while. It's just a little too much.

I thought the range between the quiet section at the beginning and the louder section when it kicks in was a little too drastic. It was tough to hear the quiet part.

You know it's funny, I didn't really notice it until you mentioned it and now it's getting on my nerves too. Haha, I'm going to have to redo that. I'll also try ramping up the volume on the intro a tad but i do like the fade/filter in, I suppose it could do with starting a little higher though.
Thanks for the feedback!

Overall I like the tune, but I don't hear much stereo separation, is it in mono? I switched to headphones and that's how it sounded to me. It sounds like it should have some killer ping ponging synth sounds. Catchy piece though, quite enjoyable !

I'd have to agree that the distortion on the bass line is kind of annoying. Are you wobbling it with a filter? Try a side chain compression.

1:28-1:30 that part is probably my favorite part... If you really worked on making more intense build ups and break downs, the song will be more interesting for me.

A little too dark and cold for me, but good ideas here. Though the bass is a little messy as said above.

Stich- Glad you like it, it isn't in mono but the panning is very light which could do with changing. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking of maybe splitting the lead track between 2 synths with alternate pannings to give it a bit more character.

k2shei- Yea, I agree. I'm going to try reworking the song structure and parts to feel a little more intense so it feels less like A, B, C, D, A, B, B. Thanks for the feedback.

Swayin- Yea I can appreciate that, I think it has a lot to do with the chord progressions and tempo but I don't want to alter the 'core' of the track too much. The bass will be resolved!

Prabhu- Thanks man, you're right. I'm going to try giving the lead some more diversity and 'umpff' by experiment and dialing in some other leads and sounds.

Solid feedback everyone, I really appreciate it! So, what I have gathered so far:

Lead synth needs more variation, same droney sound over and over = tired ears
Bass needs to be altered almost entirely. It barely serves a purpose at the moment. Repetitive bass and sound = tired ears
Song structure needs more variation. Repetitive song structure = tired ears
Change the panning a bit more drastically to give a more defined and full sound; there is panning at the moment but it's probably a maximum of 15 L+R.

It needs some work so I probably wont have an update for a bit as I am busy all day today, I'll hopefully have some time to start working on some ideas this evening.

Reading some of the other responses... I was going to make a comment about the narrowness of the mix. I got diverted to other comments and then forgot about it. I saw someone else mention it. I noticed that too.

Yea man, I'm going to try and sort that out in a bit after work and see what I can come up with. This is why this forum is really useful because after a while of working on a track you get so use to how it sounds that it's hard to picture it any other way. Feedback is easily one of the most crucial things

Back