New Track - Kinda weird Orchestral Prog

Dave52

Hi guys,

Really getting into my Home Recording. Here's a track I've just finished. I found some free to use footage from the early 70s, worked pretty well I thought.

Let me know what you think.

YouTube

Cheers,
Dave.

The percussion and bass gave my headphones a bit of a workout, but nice work. Something interesting and different.

Thanks for having a listen! Was the bass too much? Sounds good on my monitors but, I think they have a tendency to make me mix with more bass than I should.

Cheers,
Dave.

I like it - it's got a little Genesis and van der Graf Generator influence thrown in, but also very contemporary.
Maybe the synth and bass are a little "buzzy" .
There's something about the vocals that could use work but I can't really figure out what should change. They're pretty dry - maybe messing with an effect and using that to build some stereo width in the vocal would be interesting.

Hi, thanks for listening... I'll take the Genesis reference :)

I was thinking a little more reverb on the vocals. I'm always worried about over doing it - so I probably didn't put enough on.

Nice track. The piano sits well. I like that change up at 2.30. On headphones here there's nothing that sticks out needing attention. Good job

Maybe try raising the vocal level to sit slightly out front of the instruments and use the Dolby Type A trick on the vocals to add that extra something.

Thanks FairWarning - I'm not sure what the Dolby Type A trick is...

Manslick - Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Thanks for having a listen guys!

Thanks FairWarning - I'm not sure what the Dolby Type A trick is...

Described in detail here.

Good overview in this video. Vocals are covered at 1:20.

Once you hear it you'll recognize it and it then it will likely wind up as a standard addition to your vocal chain :p

Back