Thread: New track, be interested in feedback

Thanks

New track, be interested in feedback

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi All,

I'm new here and thought I'd jump right in with asking what people reckon to this mix - I'd be interested to hear objective opinions!

Ben

Keeping On - www.bensmithguitar.com.mp3

Thanks
    Catchy tune and nice mix - it has a thick tone to the whole thing that I like. Balance is good between instruments and vocals have that nice doubling effect.
    Intro part - sounds like an out of tune guitar in there somewhere. Dissonance? Bass note seems wrong in the run too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    Catchy tune and nice mix - it has a thick tone to the whole thing that I like. Balance is good between instruments and vocals have that nice doubling effect.
    Intro part - sounds like an out of tune guitar in there somewhere. Dissonance? Bass note seems wrong in the run too.
    Cool, thanks for that - I'll go back and listen to the intro with fresh ears! :-)

B

Thanks
    I don't think it's an out of tune guitar or wrong bass note; I think it's just the unique harmony. From what I could hear, the guitars are basically playing this chord progression in the intro:

F#maj7 - F#m7b5 - G#m7/F# - F#

Whereas the bass is playing:

F# (then high F#) - E - C# A - F#

I think that's right, but I didn't listen long so I'm not positive. The E note would technically work over the F#m7b5, but it tends to highlight the dissonant aug 5th interval between E and C. Or maybe it's the C# A beneath the G#m7 chord that's bugging you. While that technically clashes, it just kind of comes off as a bluesy embellishment to me and therefore works.

To me, the first "oddity" that struck me was the second chord (F#m7b5), but I got used to it eventually.

Anyway.... Yeah cool tune, well performed and some cool things going on. Bass may be just a tad loud. It's pretty up front. But other than that, it sounds pretty nice to me. Good job!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Interesting chord voicing......nice balance......well.....til it picks up, got a bit loud.....good performance.......nice change up at 2:13.........I like the ending.

There was a couple bits that were clashing, and I couldn't differentiate the instruments, but probably my listening environment... I also liked the lead guitar tone. the acoustic was beefy...

Over all a solid song.
    Wow, now I feel really stupid. Thanks.

Thanks
    Really cool song and great vibe all around. The only thing that sounded odd to me was the large volume change when it went from low key to more energetic the first time around.

Nice work though!

Thanks
    Thanks everyone - I'm hoping to have another crack this week, so will bear all those points in mind. The harmony can come off as a bit, (ahem) unusual I guess, but I'm hoping it's not too out there! Thanks again for all the comments! :-)

Thanks
    Very good vibe, to be honest I enjoyed the song so much that I didn't pay attention to the mix. I like the guitar solo near the end.

Thanks
    Great track - loved almost everything about it. MAybe would like to hear the lead guitar come out in the mix a tiny bit more - at least where featured - Bass was really solid. Couple times I wanted to here some runs or more syncopation from the bass but as an anchor it was very solid. Smooth cool breezy.... MAybe again just a little more gain in the guitar -- bit more velvet aggression... Vocals --- really nice -- you could add a little more tone to them using your mouth shape to add texture and resonance... but very very solid a cool track. Also -- where's the Bass solo? This could almost use one. It would work.

Thanks
    I can't be the first person to tell you that you sound like Jack Johnson can I? Anyway, I thought the song had a cool vibe. Nice tight playing. Guitars sounded pretty good. I liked the bass sound a lot.

Vocally, words at the end of lines tend to drop off and get covered by the music. It might be a mic technique problem. Some extra compression might help, but I doubt it.

Doubled vocal disappears for short times (like 5 seconds or so) here and there. That seemed weird to me. I'd just keep it doubled.

It sounded like you wanted to hit the listener with a wall of sound at 1:23. But I really didn't get the sense of being blasted with any kind of force.

Something sounded a little strange at about 1:34. Like some background noise or artifact or something. Was it a stray handclap?

Drums are a bit mundane.

Thread Information