New track - Absynth

Tekhed66

Hi all

Well I'm very slowly (as in very SSSLLLOOOOWWWW-LLLLYYY) getting my album recorded ... it has taken me years so far and I've still got 1 or maybe 2 tracks to go.

Anyway, I thought I'd post another track ... not super recent but newer than just about all of the other album tracks that have been stockpiled.

Once everything has been recorded, all of the tracks will need a final edit (some are a bit long) and a final mix before things get too serious ... this is a 'good enough for now' mix but it will have to do.

Many thanks for comments and suggestions on my previous posts... many of them made an improvement to the track so thankyou!

Here's the track:

Absynth by Un-Sound | Un Sound | Free Listening on SoundCloud

ps - this track was written just over 30 years old ... yes I'm THAT old... I wrote it all that time ago and recorded it by bouncing from cassette to cassette on my trusty JX3P ... the '3P sequencer timing was straight 4/4 (this version has a swing in it) but the guts of it remain the same... I think I still have the cassette lying around in a box somewhere ... I remember racing around to my girlfriend's house to play her the track and she thought I was VERY clever (ha ha ha ha ... I thought that she was just lovely... still do) ... anyway - I though it would be nice to close the circle and finally record it properly.

Last edited:
The whips had me hooked from the beginning. Love the sounds and the groove. Don't really have any critiques, but I liked it and listened the whole way through.

The whips had me hooked from the beginning. Love the sounds and the groove. Don't really have any critiques, but I liked it and listened the whole way through.

Thankyou Sir!

The whips were a late addition... not too sure why I added them at the time but I'm glad that I did.

cheers and thanks :-)

Me too - usually I have to struggle to get to the end, but I really like this. Reminiscent of the Paul Hardcastle era, with that clean kind of uncompressed to hell sound.

Very cool. Got a real 80's sound. Nice clear mix with plenty of movement and variation. Good choices for sounds and effects. I like the whole jam. Nice job

*Edit* just remembered what the high sequencer reminded me of - The Message

Thanks Bulls Hit

Yep... I'm stuck in the 80s in more ways than one...
The original version all those years ago was very simple so recording it properly gave me a chance to give it a spit and polish... the sounds came about by trial and error but I eventually found some that worked ... they're not terribly original sounds but at least they sort of work together.
Anyway - thanks for having a listen and for your feedback.
cheers!

ps - The Message as in Grandmaster Flash?? ... now THAT'S a great track :-)

Nice track. Love the thick synths and 80's vibe! The drums sound a little too mono to me. Maybe some more reverb - in the 80s you could never have too much reverb. You could also try panning the hihat alternatively L & R and adding a shaker. Listen to Axel F to get an idea - that makes the drums sound less mono and more exciting. Listen to the first break and the wood block for example. Just a suggestion. Great mix also by the way - very warm and rich.

Nice track. Love the thick synths and 80's vibe! The drums sound a little too mono to me. Maybe some more reverb - in the 80s you could never have too much reverb. You could also try panning the hihat alternatively L & R and adding a shaker. Listen to Axel F to get an idea - that makes the drums sound less mono and more exciting. Listen to the first break and the wood block for example. Just a suggestion. Great mix also by the way - very warm and rich.

Hi jonlint

I'm glad you liked the track and thanks for your comments - I never considered doing much to the drums but it's definitely worth a go... anything to give the track a bit more width or space.

Yes I agree ... reverb is KING (at least it was in the 80s) ... now I'm really showing my age ;-)

Back