New Take, Old Song

powderfinger

Okay, I re-recorded this for several reasons.....first, i wrote, recorded and posted this song initially a year ago, and i have improved quite a bit w/ recording since then.......2nd, I wanted to mess around with live acoustic recording more.......3rd, the first time I recorded it, there were skelton lyrics that I've changed a bit and I wanted a recorded updated version..............

So the main guitar and vocal were both recorded live.....the reason......i know i could get a better sound on both recording both separate, but that's not what i'm going after........i'm more so going after live performance....then sound........so I'd like to know how these two components sound.....as there is some sacrifice in clarity when i do this that i'm trying to improve on........

also, does the vocal need more compression?

only limited overdubs.....one nylon string guit....bass....and tambo.......i'm going for a rather unpolished sound.......

Irish Coffee (acoustic)
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

This sounds so much better than the original... live sound, or not... it sounds "live", but not amateur-live... as good as many good concert tapes I've heard...

There IS some sibilance on the S's, and some of the vox levels get hot... and flatty... the word "pour" sounds like pure puberty voice :eek:

"Look me in the eye!" that was always the toughest note to hit...

Can you play this 1/2 or a full step down? Might put it more in your range.

Oh, but you hit the second time nicely.

Nice job.

C

its great to see creative recording... i think to much polish would actually detract from this tune... nice job

The begining hits hard when ya got your stereo amp turned up... Sounds like you put on new strings. Do you play with lighter gauge acoustic strings like me? Hats off for recording the gtr and vocals at the same time.
I hear a ringing sound in the background that I sometimes get with my acoustic. I havent figured it out yet. What was your mic configuration?
Ive been doing the same with some year old stuff. It never seems to work out for me. I end up scrapping the new version.

Anyway, You went for the live sound and did a very good job of it.
I feel like Im in Dublin having Irish coffee for breakfast at a local pub.
Myx

Hey Drew,
Sounds really good for a live take.
Vocals sound fine,very clear.

Guitar sounds good,mabey a tad rough.
Is it detuned,or an open tuning?
Kind of sounds that way.
Nice playing!

I think the the second guitar is throwing the sound off,might be better off without it.
JMHOP:)

How did you record the live take,what mikes and placement?
I'm trying to do the same thing.

Trying to do prouduction numbers all the time is getting old.
Besides taking too much time,it's really taking the fun out of recording.
Know what I mean?

Very cool tune,
Pete

participant said:
I remember this one. It's the one where Drew sounded authentically Irish... piss drunk :D

Chad- ha....yep this is the one that i recorded...well, let's just say i was a tad tipsy..........the hot vocal sound is something i keep getting when doing this live acoustic thing.....i'm actually recording the vocal at a really low level and i have to turn it up a bit to get it to level, so i think that might be my problem there.....thanks for listening

dr.colossus - thanks for checking it out man

Myx62 - right now i've got two Octava 012s that are both about a foot away and about a foot off axis of the soundhole on either side..... they are actually both pointed down at the sound hole due to inadequate stands........also the vocal mic is picking some up.......you're right, the strings are medium/lights i think........thanks for the listen........

Pete - the guitar is in dropped D for a little drone.....i explained the acoustic mic setup above, and the vocal mic was about a foot away......the setup definitely caused some problems, but was better than past attempts.........i know what you're saying about production numbers getting old......the thing that inspired me do the live take with flaws approach was that i just got neil young's new album 'greendale'.........it is literally the slopiest/rawest major label release that i think i've ever heard......people here would cringe.........live takes...tons of bleed....no major mistakes, but plenty of stuff they could have fixed up.......hardly any vocal compression probably w/ a live mic.......but for some reason stuff like that just puts a smile on my face

First off, cool song with a great feel. Definitely has the Irish pub coffee shop feel. I always enjoy your songs. They usually get stuck un my head. Yup this one is already.

I hear problems with pitch and the rhthym seemed a little loose in places. I don't know if it was a problem with the two guitars not working together or just playing a little loose.

That line "look me in the eye" was better that last time. I think you went falsetto the first time and it did not work. Much better the second time.

Good tune!

The song has a nice feel to it

The vocals are very clear, but there is some intonation that is just a little too far off.

Good song, just could be vocal a bit more in tune.

Sabbath - no problem.....

Skids - the playing is definitely loose.......thanks for the opinion on the falsetto...this recording is the first time i tried that, and I was wondering how it would work......for some reason I thought it might work if i did it falsetto the first time and then really sing it the next time.......guess i have to work on that........

Sloop - yeah, looks like I need to work on my vocal delivery a bit.......or perhaps warmup before i hit record:D

I noticed some drastic improvement on your last post. It was no fluke. The improvement shows here too. You're doing great work. No criticisms.

And you nailed that long note at the end.:D Good job!

the sound is good but I think the vocals get a bit loud and are a bit off.. I pretty much agree with chad's post.. also, it doesn't sound like a nylon to me.. more like a jangly steel string.. almost out of tune at times.. good live performance but I would look at the vocal before putting it on a cd.. that last note was good but too loud imop.. good song though..

Sabbath - thanks for checking it out.....i guess i should have been more critical with getting a good vocal take before tracking other stuff......it was only my second take and i had just spent the day listening to neil youngs new album which for some reason inspired me to be extremely sloppy:D

I don't really have much to add to what's been offered, but man I do dig this song. I'm glad that even though you're getting comments about your pitch, you keep posting. The reason I'm glad about that is because I like your voice a lot. I like your ability to express. And I would rather you sang out of tune occasionally than sing without the feeling you give.

Back