New take on folk song "Annable Lee"

famous beagle

Would like to get some fresh ears on this one that my wife's band has done. Is the shaker too loud?

Anything else strike you?

Thanks much!

Attachments

• Annabel Lee3 mix17.mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
The low percussion is a bit boomy in my closed headphones. I don't think the shaker is too loud. Your wife's(?) voice is very nice. I like the acoustic guitar in the right channel - nice, all around tone. Which mic did you use on the guitar?

Great voice i like the verb, really cool when a lone voice can carry a tune and take the listener along. Nice touch with the wind and chimes, i've done that same thing!

All the playing is super tight and well recorded. I think the energy dropped during the instrumental bridge, sounded like a high piano was taking the lead but was a bit buried in the mix? It also seemed to stop playing as the section was reaching its height!...Why didn't it continue those climbing arpeggios? my ear was disappointed.

No complaints with the mix, the strong melody and performances made me not think of the mix, which is a good thing.

This would be great in a movie.

Sorry for the delayed responses y'all.

NickSands: Thanks much!

spantini: Thanks for the listen and feedback. Yes that's my wife's voice, and I agree with you. :) The guitar was miked with an AT8022. It's a stereo condenser, but it was still all panned to one side.

Stratomaster: Thanks for the comments and feedback. I agree with you regarding the interlude bit. I think there needs to be a prominent solo instrument there. I'm suggesting they add that.

I could pick at nits and some things I probably might have done differently, but I thought it was really nice. Lovely voice, and nothing sticks out to me - just listened on my old Sony cans and an old set of iPhone earbuds.

I did drop it into YouLean and Audacity both both reported peaks over 0dB - looks like it's just the (bodhran?) thumps. Might want to adjust for that.

I could pick at nits and some things I probably might have done differently, but I thought it was really nice. Lovely voice, and nothing sticks out to me - just listened on my old Sony cans and an old set of iPhone earbuds.

I did drop it into YouLean and Audacity both both reported peaks over 0dB - looks like it's just the (bodhran?) thumps. Might want to adjust for that.

Thanks very much for the listen and the note about the level. I appreciate it!

Sounds great dude. Very cool tune and arrangement.

On my monitors there is a bit of a build-up in the bass and lower mids at times. A bit boomy - as spantini mentioned. When it's just voice and guitar the blend is perfect.

Sounds great dude. Very cool tune and arrangement.

On my monitors there is a bit of a build-up in the bass and lower mids at times. A bit boomy - as spantini mentioned. When it's just voice and guitar the blend is perfect.

Thanks very much!

That's several mentions of the boominess, so I'll definitely be checking that out. I appreciate the listen.

Great song and nice soothing voice! The mix is also very good and appropriate for the style and I love those mandolin solos :)

Lovely Performances all around

Great sounding, the only nit I would change is the same others have pointed out which is the open hits on the Bodhran peak a little too strong but the balance of the tipper hits are great.

May just a little compression on the low hits.
if you have a multiband you could set it just around the fundamental note of the low hits.

But really excellent... makes me miss my years playing in a Celtic Band (Brothers 3) and hitting the North Texas Irish Festival and the Scottish Festivals.
I need to see if there are any Folks like you guys in the Arlington - Mid Cities area.

Great sounding, the only nit I would change is the same others have pointed out which is the open hits on the Bodhran peak a little too strong but the balance of the tipper hits are great.

May just a little compression on the low hits.
if you have a multiband you could set it just around the fundamental note of the low hits.

But really excellent... makes me miss my years playing in a Celtic Band (Brothers 3) and hitting the North Texas Irish Festival and the Scottish Festivals.
I need to see if there are any Folks like you guys in the Arlington - Mid Cities area.

Thanks!

It's a small world. Dave Ervin is actually playing guitar (and singing backup) on this track! :) He's in The Selkie Girls with my wife Alli Johnson (she's singing lead on this track), and your brother Mark played with them for a while a few years back.

This is a project called The Known World that Alli and Dave have put together, and they've asked me for some help with the mixing and other things.

All I can say is Well done! Love the opening, moves nicely into the main groove. Voice is spectacular. Great picking, harmonies are spot on. I think the percussion fits it in very nicely. Reverb fits the piece nicely. The only complaint, and this is very minor. The waves fade out in the opening and back end at the end a little too quickly. I think adding just a second or two to the fade out/in on that would be nice (personal opinion). This is a very nicely done piece.

All I can say is Well done! Love the opening, moves nicely into the main groove. Voice is spectacular. Great picking, harmonies are spot on. I think the percussion fits it in very nicely. Reverb fits the piece nicely. The only complaint, and this is very minor. The waves fade out in the opening and back end at the end a little too quickly. I think adding just a second or two to the fade out/in on that would be nice (personal opinion). This is a very nicely done piece.

Thanks very much for the listen and feedback!

So Cool !

Thanks!

It's a small world. Dave Ervin is actually playing guitar (and singing backup) on this track! :) He's in The Selkie Girls with my wife Alli Johnson (she's singing lead on this track), and your brother Mark played with them for a while a few years back.

This is a project called The Known World that Alli and Dave have put together, and they've asked me for some help with the mixing and other things.

Wow!
I knew it hit my heartstrings.

I have loved listening to your Wife, Dave, Martin, etc with the Selkie Girls.
I have just watched more from afar due to my horrid work schedule.

If you ever need Upright Bass, let me know!

Keep doing what you are doing! It sounds wonderful.

I am taking early retirement next year so I have hopes to find some way to get back involved in music such as this.

Wow!
I knew it hit my heartstrings.

I have loved listening to your Wife, Dave, Martin, etc with the Selkie Girls.
I have just watched more from afar due to my horrid work schedule.

If you ever need Upright Bass, let me know!

Keep doing what you are doing! It sounds wonderful.

I am taking early retirement next year so I have hopes to find some way to get back involved in music such as this.

Awesome! I will pass that along for sure.

How is Mark doing? Is he still playing with folks?

Mark is doing some Playing with a Community Jazz Group, but other than that I am not sure.

He had told me he was needing a break from gigging heavily and just needed something very casual.

I hope to reconnect more with Mark myself after the first of the year!

Back