New Song - "You Never Tell"

I like the mix. It's very midstream. Nice song too. The guitar has a nice fitting tone, electric and acoustic. Vocals are up front.

Good one

Joe

A little John Denver and Elvis Costello.Really excellent acoustic sound.Panning is a little funky.Great voice,too!Good progression and chord changes.Predictable brigde/refrain.Pleasant wrd and melody,nice job!!!The ressurector has spoken....to the 1st page with you!

How did this get off the first page with just a couple of replies?This sounds really good.Your voice reminds me a little bit of Ray Davies of the Kinks.Nice vocal delivery with a good melody....nice touch with the keys during the solo break..Elton John'ish during that section.The electric guitar work is good...laid back but very effective....nice main guitar riff.

This is a top notch song IMHO and well crafted.

P.s. The opening chords had me singing "Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain".....it just trigerred that for some reason.:eek:

Yeah, I definitely hear what Kramer's talking about with the Ray Davies comparison...you've got better pitch, though...lol. (I love the Kinks). "WHEN DID WE START DOWN THIS PATH," that's the line that hit me Kinks-like.

Something weird's going on with the cymbals...but it sounds like that MP3 phasey noise thing. It's funny, today we have "plugins" to simulate the noise of old vinyl recordings...the next step will be a plugin to simulate the "artifacts" of mp3's, lol.

Props to you for writing and recording this, and props to W.I.S.C. for bringing it back from the oblivion of page whatever, lol.

BobOC,

Mixing wise:

I'm listening at work on headphones so take this for what it's worth ........ I think the mix sounds GREAT !!! Everything sits well and is nicely out front. I only wish my mixes sounded this clean and open. Nice job.

So, what's your secret?

1) Are the drums live or looped?
2) How did you record the acoustic? It has a nice stereo sound (or is that two guitars?). What kind of acoustic is it?

Production wise:

Any Eagles influence here?

I'd like to hear some harmonies starting at "When did we start down this path?". The song's begging for things to pick up at that point.

Songwriting wise:

Decent tune. Pretty much middle of the road .... but GOOD middle of the road. I plan to go back and listen to the lyrics more closely when I get home tonight.

Thanks - BPOCO

Thanks to everyone for listening to this song....special thanks to W.I.S.C. for "resurrecting" the thread! The song was recorded on my Akai DPS16.

Will try to provide a few quick answers/comments below....

W.I.S.C. - "Predictable Bridge/Refrain." You can say that again! Not one of my more imaginative efforts, I'm afraid. I like the song, and the lyrics are pretty "real" (about lack of communication with spouse), but I've always felt that I needed something "extra" in this one. Haven't found it yet.

Kramer - After I was finished, it struck me that the keyboard break in the middle reminded me of "Rocket Man." Originally, I had a Yamaha keyboard "saxophone" solo in there, but it sounded too fake. Adding the keyboard was the last thing I did. And although the Kinks were never a big personal fave, I do appreciate Ray Davies (love "Waterloo Sunset").

Kramer, Pt II - "Rhythm of the Rain." Ah, yes! The Cascades, I believe! Hadn't thought about it but, yes, you're right. Hell, my subconscious will steal ideas from anybody!

chrisharris - not sure what the cymbal problem is, other than the fact that they're fake (Alesis SR16). Aside from that, could be an MP3 issue.

bpoco - Drums are the Alesis, except that I added a live tambourine. The acoustics were recorded with my SP C1 mic. Two tracks of 12-string (Takamine) and one six-string track (Washburn). I hate the Washburn, so I made the Takamine more prominent. Eagles? Wouldn't call them a huge "influence," but I know and love their music. Actually, I've been listening to a lot of Wilco lately...there's a somewhat similar feel there. Harmonies? You're right, I should add.

Sorry for the long reply, but THANKS for the feedback. It's all constructive and is appreciated.

Back