Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: New song for you guys to critique

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214765

    Smile New song for you guys to critique

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

    You might remember me from a bit ago, I've got a new song for you! Better recorded I think, but you can decide for yourself of course!

    http://www.nowhereradio.com/tomewer/singles

    It's "Something New".

    Tell me what you think! Thanks.

    - Tom

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214765

    Unhappy

    bump...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Long Island New York
    Posts
    3,391
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    141919
    you have to give it some time bro.. It usually takes more than an hour or so.. Maybe instead of bumping your own thread, check out someone elses? Just a suggestion.. It may or may not work..


    nice song.. there are some bad plosives.. Like maybe you need to retrack the vocals with a pop screen.. the drums come in way too loud imop.. the snare drum engulfs everything.. at the very least bring down that snare if possible..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214765
    Originally posted by B.SABBATH
    you have to give it some time bro.. It usually takes more than an hour or so.. Maybe instead of bumping your own thread, check out someone elses? Just a suggestion.. It may or may not work..


    nice song.. there are some bad plosives.. Like maybe you need to retrack the vocals with a pop screen.. the drums come in way too loud imop.. the snare drum engulfs everything.. at the very least bring down that snare if possible..
    Yeah I do need a pop filter, need to buy some tights, cos i can't afford a real one! Always having problems with the drums, will try and address that. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    1hr N/W of LA LA Land
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    956
    There are some pitch & timing issues on the vocals when the backups come in.

    The strummin' guitar thing really can't carry the tune all the way past the 3min mark. You need to have the rest of the instruments come in sooner, and stay longer.

    When the drums & electrics kick in there are some more timing & intonation issues. That lead guitar tone is way too buzzy sounding for something like this.

    I liked the bass line.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214765

    Talking

    Originally posted by M.Brane
    There are some pitch & timing issues on the vocals when the backups come in.

    The strummin' guitar thing really can't carry the tune all the way past the 3min mark. You need to have the rest of the instruments come in sooner, and stay longer.

    When the drums & electrics kick in there are some more timing & intonation issues. That lead guitar tone is way too buzzy sounding for something like this.

    I liked the bass line.
    That's good, you're coming up with things I've been noting down just now actually! I was just thinking to bring the drums in on the "woman with your..." line, because that should mark a step up in the song. Also, the bassline does change a little there but I forgot to when I was playing...oops!

    I made up the backing vocals just as an idea while I was listening through the song, I will work on them.

    What do you mean by buzzy sounding? I'm not sure what kind of tone to use for this, do you mean less distorted? I'm going for an emotional sounding kinda solo, I'm sure you can see that.

    Also, my guitar's giving me a huge headache, I spent a long time trying to fix the intonation but it is still off!! I would take it to a tech and get it properly done, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.

    Thanks very much for the advice!

    P.S. what do you think of the birds at the start? I had the window open when recording and noticed their chirping after I'd recorded the acoustic guitar, thought it sounded kinda cool. Keep or chuck out?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    1hr N/W of LA LA Land
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    956
    Originally posted by badgerer
    What do you mean by buzzy sounding? I'm not sure what kind of tone to use for this, do you mean less distorted? I'm going for an emotional sounding kinda solo, I'm sure you can see that.


    Buzzy would likely be a combination of too much gain, and too much presence. I very rarely run the gain on any of my amps above 7, and most of the time it's around 5. I can crank 'em up real loud here in the daytime though to get the power tubes distorting.

    Also, my guitar's giving me a huge headache, I spent a long time trying to fix the intonation but it is still off!! I would take it to a tech and get it properly done, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.


    It could be that your nut is too high. Does it go sharp when you tune the open strings then play down near the nut? That's real common on cheap guitars. Cutting the slots deeper is not a big job, but it's real easy to screw it up too. A quick Google search on the subject should give you some good info on guitar setup techniques.

    P.S. what do you think of the birds at the start? I had the window open when recording and noticed their chirping after I'd recorded the acoustic guitar, thought it sounded kinda cool. Keep or chuck out?
    You know when I listened earlier I didn't even notice 'em. My kid was napping in the other room, so I had the monitors kinda low.

    I say leave 'em. I dig stuff like that. Makes the recording sound "honest".
    Last edited by M.Brane; 06-06-2003 at 17:23.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah that guitar is too rough, or overdriven. what kind of drum sounds are you using?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    34
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214765
    Originally posted by band 4 hire
    Yeah that guitar is too rough, or overdriven. what kind of drum sounds are you using?
    Cool, I'll mess around with the tone, knock the gain off some and see what I can come up with. I'm not sure what you mean by drum sounds...it's an acoustic drum kit, just a cheap 300 set, and the snare wire on the snare's broken as is the hi hat stand, so it's a bit of a mess. I think I needed to bring the cymbals forward in the mix a bit. Any other thoughts?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Your Mommy's house. No, actually it's Iowa.
    Age
    40
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Well, I'm not sure how to put this. I think the song itself is pretty good, writing-wise. I think the performance is pretty shakey all around. I think I'd have left those BG vox out. Needs some work, but I think with the right sounds this would be a pretty good tune.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •