New song by Wig Nelson

Hey Wig!
You've been gone a long time now.....;)
I've always loved your songs and your voice. Me, I don't care what the song is about, I listen to melody and quality. This is a very nice song with a great hookline. The recording could be better in my opinion. The drums especially are very weak. What you need here are big orchestra percussions. The orchestra too doesn't sound big enough. I'm sure you have that sound in your mind and imagine exactly what the song should sound like. The way it is now is almost lo-fi and it doesn't do the song justice. But it doesn't take away the quality of the tune itself, it's still a good song. And your voice is wonderful.:)

Thanks for the response, Joey. I struggled with the drums and will redo them. I will also try to flesh out the orchestra as you're right, that's what I was shooting for.

Thanks for tuning in. I'm going to take the song down now.

Wig:)

The song is good and your style is so unique. I think the acapella ending was worth the wait.

I think a lot of Joey's comments still apply. I see where you're going with the orchestration, but it's not there yet. The instrument tracks seem to sit way behind the vocals. To me, it feels flat or one dimensional. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what advice to offer to help correct it.

The kick drum is kind of there, by itself, thumping away. Not in the same space as anything else.

Vocals are far out in front. They sound good, but not balanced with the instrument tracks.

This isn't a typical pop/rock song, so my usual suggestions of starting with just kick, bass and vocal probably don't apply. However, you should identify the key elements of the song and mix just them to get a good balance, then bring in everything else one at a time in a supporting role.

cool man,

The song is good and your style is so unique. I think the acapella ending was worth the wait.

I think a lot of Joey's comments still apply. I see where you're going with the orchestration, but it's not there yet. The instrument tracks seem to sit way behind the vocals. To me, it feels flat or one dimensional. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what advice to offer to help correct it.

The kick drum is kind of there, by itself, thumping away. Not in the same space as anything else.

Vocals are far out in front. They sound good, but not balanced with the instrument tracks.

This isn't a typical pop/rock song, so my usual suggestions of starting with just kick, bass and vocal probably don't apply. However, you should identify the key elements of the song and mix just them to get a good balance, then bring in everything else one at a time in a supporting role.

cool man,

Thanks, Dave,

I remixed reacting to comments that the vocals could come forward a little. I guess I went too far. It's easy to fix. There are a lot of different string elements that got lost too far back and the tam and cowbell seem to have half the volume of the kick when you put them all on the same track. I have to separate them. The kettle drums come through because they are on the same track. This isn't my usual genre, but I have about 6 P&W songs now so I thought I'd knock out a few more and do a CD for my chapel.

Thanks for responding,

Wig:)

Back