New Song - Talk About It

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Hi - here's a new song Mike and I wrote last week. We've done a few new things on this mix based on comments from the previous song so hopefully it's an improvement. Always appreciate you guys having a listen and letting us know where we can improve.
Its a 320 MP3 (about 6MB) so hopefully the higher definition will allow for more detail and critique-ability :D
Let us know what you think of this mix....

View attachment TAI Mix 1 320 20150821.mp3

Thanks cognitivefungus - I'm using my new(er) Les Paul Custom for lead on this one and I'm still working on the best tone for it. I usually use my EC Strat for leads which is a completely different animal but trying to get my LPC into the mix nowadays. Thanks again! :D

This is the best mix I've heard from you guys yet. You have really stepped up your game and raised the bar for some of us here.

There were a few points where the vocal and the lead guitar melded together. I thought it was a nice, and unintentional, feature. Others might say they are conflicting or stepping on each other, but it works really well here. Enjoyed the harmonies as well. Not sure I heard you guys harmonizing before...

I thought the bass could come up a hair. I hear it, but it could get along a little better with the kick. It's always the most difficult aspect for me; I'll listen again tomorrow and probably say just the opposite.

Thanks Chili - we owe any and all success to the guys here. TBH every time we mix anything, we refer back to these comments whether consciously ("hey remember buddy said ....") or unconsciously just knowing we have to check such and such. We mix as a tag team usually, we find each of us has a forte in different areas and that teamwork really helps. :D

Heh... Sounds great guys. I might be a bit biased, but those drums could use a little bit more volume - the whole kit, just up by 1.5dB or so. Bass could also use a bit of a boost, too. Great song, guys. It just keeps getting better.

Heh... Sounds great guys. I might be a bit biased, but those drums could use a little bit more volume - the whole kit, just up by 1.5dB or so. Bass could also use a bit of a boost, too. Great song, guys. It just keeps getting better.

Thanks Jason - I'll look into drum and bass volume. For those who don't know us we've used Jason's drum tracks for many years now and always get great results. Shameless plug - need a real drummer? See ArtCitySound.com for details. :D

Positive sentiment in a lovely song Gerry: the mix is good. A little more Jason and Mike would be good - though it may just need a tweak of EQ and compression on the bass.
I like the mini lead breaks a lot - they add some swing to the track.

Thanks Ray ;) - will do the bass/drum update. My LPC (on these leads) is getting more comfortable as time goes on. Bit of a shift from my Strat in a few ways but getting used to it. Thank the lord for nut files.

Very cool song guys. Performances are very good. If it were my song I would bring up the drums a touch. I think the vocals may have a little too much presence, maybe a little more roll off on the low end...but thats personal preference. Great job!

Real clean and cool man. All around good shit. I don't think you guys even need mixing advice anymore hahahah :p

I think this is a very balanced mix, I liked it a lot. Lead guitar sound just perfect to me!!
I'm glad you like the lead, the guitar plays great - I'm still working on tones because this thing has all sorts to pick from. Pedals all have to be reprogrammed from my Strat/Kramer. Luckily I have a GP8 with 128 patches :)

I agree the drums could come forward some. I like the vocal performances. Nice tune
Very cool song guys. Performances are very good. If it were my song I would bring up the drums a touch. I think the vocals may have a little too much presence, maybe a little more roll off on the low end...but thats personal preference. Great job!
Agreed on both counts - I've remixed with both these changes last week, but am still humming and hawing on the final balance. I'll try and post the latest tonight after I come back from Mike's.

Real clean and cool man. All around good shit. I don't think you guys even need mixing advice anymore hahahah :p
I appreciate the positive comment as it does make me feel like I've progressed after years of fiddling. But I still struggle with mixing on every song lol...thanks to you guys for the pointers.

Back