New Song- "Taken"

nilbog- Thanks a lot. I'm a big fan of prettu much all of Mike Patton's projects. I appreciate his diversity!

Lt. Bob- Looking forward to it. Have fun in Florida!

Cranky One- So basically it's weird right? Is that what I'm getting? :) You're right though...I wouldn't expect anybody to absorb it all in one listen. I assume the drum fill you're talking about is the snare. I actually like the sound of it, but I know it could be more realistic. And besides, the record label won't let me officially release this in Finland until I fix it! :eek: (Wake up Sluice. Wake up.)

groovejunkie- Thanks man...
IMO you could yell oftener like at 1:27..
Perhaps...where else would you suggest?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Yeah, when it goes from to hey to YAAAAAAA it gives me goosebumps man! And did I mention I love your diction? You must have a really good mic!

Can't stop freaking out on this song.... :)

LOL Pedullist. I started recording about 15 months ago, and for most of that time I kept hearing from people, "I can't make out the words." So I decided to be more articulate with my consonants. I also have a decent condensor mic made by Studio Projects that helps me actually pick those consonants up more clearly. Details become more obvious to me and it actually helps me to improve my singing because it also exposes my flaws. Basically the mic leaves me naked. :)

Exact same thing for me. I also bought a new mic, but you MP3 clinic guys still can't make out my words. LOL

finally got it tom.

damn, that vocal sounds awsome. right up there in your face and dry. another SP showcase recording.

i wouldn't add any synth's. this sounds very good (and busy) as is. i also heard the fret noise but, i wanna know how you fix it if you do cause i can't rid my own recordings of it. it's pretty hard to get rid of, especially for me since i truly suck at the guitar and every time my fingers lose contact with the strings it's anybody's guess where they are going to land so it's like a security feeling to keep them in contact with the strings when i move them around, hence creating a squeaky....well you know.

I like the ending. Really like the last three notes that you sing. That's the resolution I was talking about earlier. Nice to hear that.

I like the drums also, but there was one snare roll that sounded a little midi at 2:48.

SLuiCe said:
Cranky One- So basically it's weird right? Is that what I'm getting? :) You're right though...I wouldn't expect anybody to absorb it all in one listen. I assume the drum fill you're talking about is the snare. I actually like the sound of it, but I know it could be more realistic. And besides, the record label won't let me officially release this in Finland until I fix it! :eek: (Wake up Sluice. Wake up.)
[/B]

Yeah, the drum fill is the snare-thing. The snare sound is good. I guess it's just the programming or whatever in that part. I don't know if your drum sounds have layered velocities, so the drum sounds different when hit harder, not just louder.. But there's nothing wrong with the sound itself :D And yeah, the song is weird, but in a good Sluice way.

Nah, don't do that, just enjoy the song. It's an awesome song, in the sense that awesome had long before that word became teen property. Just soak it up, and when you go away and forget all about it and start working on your own stuff, your own stuff will be slightly better for having taken on this tune.

That's about as close to a professional sounding mix as I've heard from this board.

Nice melodies done with the accoustics near the beginning. It was a nice segment and had the perfect sound.

I liked the more rockin' parts of the tune a lot, the avant gaurd stuff is growing on me, it was well done.

There's a backing vocal (the one that echos the other backing vocal) near the end panned to the left that I think is superflous. Everything else in the tune sits so well it kind of stuck out to me on the second listen.

Nothing I can say but WOW!! That sounded great. Not the style of music I would listen to on a regular basis, but the sound was so damn good and interesting it has to make the keepers folder for me. Excellent work. Can I come to your house so you can record me? :D

Crankyone- Yep, I finally caught it today in the truck after immense pressure to do so. Annoying isn't it? Thanks for pointing it out. Don't ever back off critiquing my drums please.

erichenryus- That snare roll is on my to-do list. Thanks.
As far as fret noise goes, I honestly have no clue how to fix that. I haven't tried because I usally don't mind it. With fake drums and fake bass, I need something real eh? :) If I get it too bad though, I usually just retake the part. I'm afraid of things like de-esser's and noise removers (end even EQ for those purposes) because they seem to take too much of the good stuff out with the undesirables. If you ever hear of a good solution, by all means let me know!

Doug H- Are you referring to the free style vocal? I don't know what I think of that yet. It's new to me, like a lot of things about this tune. Glad you liked it, even though it's not your style! Thanks.

demensia- Bah. I think about music too much. I'm gonna probably chop my hands off at work I think about it so much. I know you were just expressing that you really liked the song, but you're probably better at a lot of things than I am. Like sky diving perhaps. :)

dobro- you really have a way with words.

jagular- I know you're joking, but I would love to record someone else. This is all so new to me still, I feel like the recording stuff is opening up it's possibilities. I want a portable DAT so I can recording things outdoors in stereo. Maybe create some interesting, reasonably new musical idea out of that. Stuff like that. But hey, if you're willing to travel, I have a pretty comfortable futon in the living room. :D

Doug H- Are you referring to the free style vocal? I don't know what I think of that yet. It's new to me, like a lot of things about this tune. Glad you liked it, even though it's not your style! Thanks.

SLuiCe said:
[jagular- I know you're joking, but I would love to record someone else. This is all so new to me still, I feel like the recording stuff is opening up it's possibilities. I want a portable DAT so I can recording things outdoors in stereo. Maybe create some interesting, reasonably new musical idea out of that. Stuff like that. But hey, if you're willing to travel, I have a pretty comfortable futon in the living room. :D

Nope not joking. Sounds great to me.

/Jagular bounds down the stairs muttering "where is the friggin suitcase" and "I hope the futon is big enough...I have just started my work outs" and "Do they have good pizza there?".

:D

Probably the free style one. Near the end there is a low backing vocal with a higher pitched balcking vocal echoing it, both in the left channel. The higher pitched trailing vocal is the one I'm referring to.

Reminds me of Hebrew/Middle Eastern type music.Production is excellent.As always mint guitar work and vox.Excellent lyrics "...and I swear I heard Cane begging God for a new baby brother...",gave me chilz...

Back