new song, some balls, and string...

jimminy

Hi guy's, I'm gonna post a whole song and see what you all think. It's got no vocals yet, sorry, I haven't tackled making that sound good yet. but lots o' guitars.

It's really more of a scratch arrangement. I usually record a part or two, hen slice it and arrange it sort of how I think I'll want it in the end. So it has that looped quality and gets a little repetative that way songs do when there's no vocals.

You'll hear a part where a 2nd (maybe 3rd) guitar comes in with a slightly different sound. I've never been able to make that really sit right, it sort of doesn't fit and I don't know if it's just the wrong sound, or the mix, or what. maybe you'll know.

Have fun. Its the untitled one.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/dandyrubbishco/singles

I think I might have had it set up wrong on nowhereradio. That's a really cool site, but soooo sloooooowwwwww...

Good Start

Jimminy,

It is a fine start! I am listening at work over small comp speakers so I can't comment on specific tonalities, but I have one observation on the Acoustic guitar.
In my opinion when the acoustic drops out it leaves a big hole, I wonder if it would sound better if you just ducked it back in the mix but left just enough to keep the movement (texture) going perhaps letting it surface again here and there during verses?
Just my own opinion.

tmix

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try.

BTW. I'm at work, and I can't seem to get to my page. It says the URL isn't found. I'm wondering if this is the case for everyone.

At home it works fine. Even if I navigate there doing a search from the home page I can't get there, same thing happens. That would explain the somewhat lackluster nuymber of replies...could it be the song?...eep.

I think I got it working again. Can somebody check it out and let me know if it's working plz.

oh yeah, and check out the song too!

Jimminy working and Jumpin' . Sounds like a great backing track to me. Look forward to hearing the vox and some kick ass lead. I like the acoustic lead in builds a nice sense of security. Relax and then blow their brains out. Great.

Gerry

Jimminy this is screamin FINISH ME! Great song, but I really want to hear the vocals screamin at me like Sammy Hagar! Love that bass sound. Dude, you should finish this.

Twist

Nice groovin tune. Definately has potential.

You need to ease up on the compression though. Open up that mix and let the instruments breathe.

Thanks M.Brane, twist, Green Dude, Kramer, tmix.

I don't know about doin' a Sammy thing but, maybe a Maynard thing (I wish)?. I always end up doing the vocals last, so almost never do them at all, short attention span, and I'm onto another tune altogether. In fact, I had all but forgotten about this one, but I was looking around for something to post. Maybe I should try to get people here to collaborate on the vocals. A thought anyways, and it might be fun.

As far as the compression goes, I didn't think it was that squashed until I listened to it at work. I used the loudness maximizer mastering plug-in to boost the volume before I sent it off, along with a little eq to try to un-muddy the bass and give it some gusto (yeah, I said gusto all right, weeeeeeee).

I'm not sure what all that maximizer plug does exactly in doing what it does, but I'm sure it compresses pretty heavy-handedly. It seems like something to be carefull with, as the temptation to milk more volume is always strong on a tune like that.

I'll do a little more and repost. maybe I'll have time next week.

Maybe I'm in a good mood or something, but I like the riffs and I imagine it would kick ass with vocals. I know what you mean when you talk about the looping quality of the song. There rarely is a song that doesn't have at least slight repetition. With vocals the repetitiveness kinda vanishes on some level. And without vocals this still didn't sound too repetitive. Good song. Now go and sing :D

Back