New song from Slim

Fun song for sure! :) Makes me feel "connected" to other drunks for some reason....:)

Basically, the mix is about as smooth as could have possibly made it.

I think there was a problem though with your "room" while tracking. What I mean about room is that the guitar sounds like it is right there in front of me, yet the vocals sound like they are a bit distant. Either one sounds pretty good, but they don't have the same "space" to them.

I would favor pulling back on the mic for the acoustic a bit because I favored the vocal sound more then the acoustic sound. The closer you get to the mic the more proximity effect you will have. I guess the acoustic mic was just a bit closer for the type of projection in the sound to match the vocal in this case. You could try a bit of reverb on the acoustic, very short decay time, and with maybe a 50ms pre-delay to see if it "pulls it back" a bit.

Sounded decent enough though overall.

Ed

Hey Larry,

I checked out the tune. Interesting take, your voice sounds really good in this one as usual. I would have like to have heard more detail maybe in the guitar. Cool tune

Ray J

Nice, I like the chord sequence and sound of the guitar. I agree with sonusman about the vocals being distant, but they are pretty good anyway!

Jags

Thanks, Ed, Ray and Jags--

Ed, not suprisingly, I was struggling with these issues a bit. I tracked the guitar first, and I was liking the detail I was getting closer (about 6 inches away) to the mic (AT4047), but it was getting muddy and distorting, so I used the -10db switch (as well as the 80 hz roll-off) and liked the sound. When tracking the vocal (same mic) I was back about 12 inches (and using a screen) (without the -10 switch). As you obviously could tell, I used some reverb on the vocal (with about 75 ms pre-delay) but none on the guitar.

This all becomes a good example of liking the sound on each track but not paying enough attention to how they sound together. I'm going to try your suggestion of adding a little reverb to the guitar. I suppose, implicit in your comment, is that had I backed off some with the guitar I would have had some more natural room reverb, which may have made adding it in the mix unnecessary, yes?

BTW, I'm happy it made you feel that way; that's part of the point...

hi,

I like the guitar playing. I think that the guitar was a bit hard and could use some more reverb.

Also, the vocals were nice, but a bit trebley.

peace

That is more of less correct. The mix is also not as sensitive to low end when farther away.

The reverb on the guitar MIGHT work. Milage will vary.

Ed

Back