New song, real pain in the a@# to mix.

Simman

Listen and comment on the latest song; Away. We (glazingfool & myself) just finished the tune and it was a real pain in the ass to mix. Let me know waht you think.

The vox were maybe a decibel too loud IMO.
The guitars..
There were audible.
They were also weightless.
So yes, it was a decent balance across the board.
It just seemed a tad thin.
I think thats because of the guitars.

I agree with finster. Also, what did you do to the vocals? Some kind of delay? Whatever it is, I don't like it. Makes it alot harder to hear what you are singing.

Last note: the drums sound a bit to much like a drum machine to me (I don't know if it is a drum machine, but either day, try to vary a bit more in dynamics, especially on the snare).

Thanks for your response

xfinsterx thanks for the comments. I was trying to achieve good balance in the mix so that things weren't stepping on each other. As a result, the guitars may have gotten a little thin but I don't think they are too bad in the context of the mix.

The one thing I'd also like to point out is this is the 2-track mix down pretty much out of the board. We don't use any "mastering" plug-ins or commercial mastering devices since we'd rather leave that process to a real mastering house. The goal with this mix (as with all our mixes) is to provide a product that is ready for a M.E. to work with. Don't know if I achieved the goal but I tried. ;)

I really appreciate the feedback since I think it is always good to get another/independent perspective.

I'm a real pane!!

I like the song. VOX a little forward but overall I like it. Sounds good on my Puter spkrs. Hey Simman tell your partner he still owes me that six pack!! Heh heh! Keep on Rockin'

:)

you know I really like this song but the way it's mixed..... Sounds like you gave it the "too much mix time" thing. bass drum too clicky, snare too much snap/pop, double tracked vox with a bit of chorus thrown in just incase. Instruments really defined in there own space...too much space looses that conjeniality.
#

Bass n guitars up vox down. Nice balance on the kit...programed? snare is static and somewhat distracting

2nd listen.....

if the drums are live you choked the life outa them with compression, too much snap and pop..sounds like popcorn on a fire. You know the playing on this is very very good and I really do like the song. That vocal needs some bottom end, not too much just a bit more than it has. your guitar tones are really good but I wanna hear them more, more more!. Kit and vox down, repeat kit n vox down. Great song, solid playing, dial the board back to zero, mix the kit up, pull the bass in, add the vox then blend the guitars till it all sits together.

final verdict: This could be a great song

LemonTree said:
you know I really like this song but the way it's mixed..... Sounds like you gave it the "too much mix time" thing. bass drum too clicky, snare too much snap/pop, double tracked vox with a bit of chorus thrown in just incase. Instruments really defined in there own space...too much space looses that conjeniality.
#

Bass n guitars up vox down. Nice balance on the kit...programed? snare is static and somewhat distracting

2nd listen.....

if the drums are live you choked the life outa them with compression, too much snap and pop..sounds like popcorn on a fire. You know the playing on this is very very good and I really do like the song. That vocal needs some bottom end, not too much just a bit more than it has. your guitar tones are really good but I wanna hear them more, more more!. Kit and vox down, repeat kit n vox down. Great song, solid playing, dial the board back to zero, mix the kit up, pull the bass in, add the vox then blend the guitars till it all sits together.

final verdict: This could be a great song

I never thought of it that way but you’re right, perhaps I did spend "too much time” in the mix". It seems like I've been working with this song for weeks! Oh yeah… I have :) . I like your suggestion of clearing the board and I’ve done that more than once already. I’m starting to think I need to spend some time away from the song. I’m feeling like I may have lost my perspective.

Drums are heavily compressed (NY style bussed with bass). I like the tone of the guitars as well and perhaps spent too much time getting them to sit right, which did thin them out some. Oh well back to the mixing board!

We just got a new set of monitors that I'm waiting to break in (should be another 20hrs). Think I'll wait and remix the song through them.

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide comments. It is a great help to get an independent perspective.

Back