New song - Push - something different!

Not really my style of music, but I like the chorus a lot. Not sure what else I can say. Overall it does seem to be lacking in high-end... like maybe get some good tinny hi-hats in there... some breath in the synths during the chorus. Maybe?

I'm sorry... totally out of my element on this one.

Caught me off guard, too. Wasn't what I was expecting from you at all. But it does seem to be recorded well (is it all midi/electronic other than the vocal?).

I can't offer much in the way of mix advice because I am on my laptop and listening in cans, but it didn't make me turn it off after 30 seconds...

I like it! Very typical of the genre..polished...processed. It's very good. Nice recording.

What I'd do with it:

Shorten the intro cycle by half..

Add a thumping bass after the second cycle...a boost in the bottom to move bootie..and a 2&4 tight-assed snare BOOM: SCHNAPP!, BOOM: SCHNAPP!

Subdivide the time with a HH or some other HF 'clock'..to halve the time-feel ...mebbe when the boom boom on 4/4 begins:

:[1]push it push it, la la la la [2] I wan-na scootch yo bootie[1] push it push it, la la la la lah[2] y' know I want cho bod-day [1]:

becomes:
:[1] push it push it [2] la la la lah [3] I wan-na [4]do yo bod-day [1]:

The time halving would be a nice lift off the runway. And a hip hop drum track it the thing to do it.

One other thing I'd try are a couple short feature spots where alla sudden, all the verb, delay and sweeps disappear...stark dryness...a surprise...then back to the groove: a little punctuation and interest-grabbing stuff.

The flow is kinda smooth all the time.....a few bumps on the road to jar the listener awake along the trail would be great. Folks dancing to this will have high blood/alcohal content.....y' can't let 'em fall asleep on the floor.

But I'm liking the modal grind, and the way you crafted the melody to outline changes over the pedaling modality. I can imagine this tune doing well. It's almost there. Nothing to detract or change..just some FX editing and a rythmic groove to add!

Wow, this is really different from you, Jon!
Are you using Autotune on this? Sounds like a crazy effect on the voice, I would push it back a bit (....oops, pun:D), because your beautiful voice doesn't need an overload of effects, but that's just my opinion. Really interesting, considering it's your voice that's doing the melody and the rest is just sounds. I think it's a great dance tune and can imagine people in a club grooving to it. It's nice to hear you adapting your voice to different stuff. ;)

Joey :):):):)

Great stuff, it sounds like Freddy Mercury doing a Techno song!
It's different but it's really quite a cool tune.........I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions-it works well as it is.

Nice. not my bag but solid.
I'd go with a throbbing bass pulse to make it dancier. Maybe it's there; I'm on my laptop and the speakers blow.

Nice job.
Matty:o

Your tune!

Wow dude, this is one cool tune, it kinda makes me think of Kanye West. I haven't heard any of your other songs, so I don't know what you normally sound like...........
I was impressed, this song is right up there, totally new.
I thought there were a few things that could have been tweeked, but those moments were gone fairly quickly......and considering this is an experimental track, then your results are excellent, and I think you have something here.
Keep experimenting, its cool.......................barb

It's cool you're trying some new things. I'm a fan of your previous stuff and I like what you've got started here.

I think vox are compressed too much. I'm not a fan of the autotune being audible, but I understand that's a popular thing these days.

After the intro and the song is going, I've got the feeling that I'm waiting for more to come and don't quite get there. I think you should continue building up to a dynamic end. Adding more rhythm patterns, new instruments or beats. I remember hearing some advice from a long time ago that said, every measure in a song should bring something new.

I like what you've got here so far.
peace.

the "T-Pain" effect your doing needs to be more prominent and stronger in the main vocal. Is set so subtle right now, that is sounds like mixing mistakes rather than an effect.

but kewl......it has potential to be a strong song...

Wow, this is really different from you, Jon!
Are you using Autotune on this? Sounds like a crazy effect on the voice, I would push it back a bit (....oops, pun:D), because your beautiful voice doesn't need an overload of effects, but that's just my opinion. Really interesting, considering it's your voice that's doing the melody and the rest is just sounds. I think it's a great dance tune and can imagine people in a club grooving to it. It's nice to hear you adapting your voice to different stuff. ;)

Joey :):):):)

Thanks a lot Joey! :D I was a little bored the other day and was a little curious how I'd sound like doing R&B, haha. Someone said I should try country next, hah. The effect is from melodyne...I hope it was too much of an overkill.

Folks dancing to this will have high blood/alcohal content.....y' can't let 'em fall asleep on the floor

Thanks for listening Jeff. Haha, reminds me of college...

Caught me off guard, too. Wasn't what I was expecting from you at all. But it does seem to be recorded well (is it all midi/electronic other than the vocal?).

I can't offer much in the way of mix advice because I am on my laptop and listening in cans, but it didn't make me turn it off after 30 seconds...

Thanks for listening Rokket. Yes, it's all VST instruments. Haha, it IS surprising for a classical singer to try R&B/electronica which is like the polar opposite. :D

Not really my style of music, but I like the chorus a lot. Not sure what else I can say. Overall it does seem to be lacking in high-end... like maybe get some good tinny hi-hats in there... some breath in the synths during the chorus. Maybe?

I'm sorry... totally out of my element on this one.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of high-end, ErichArndt! I'll try adding some hi-hats.

Great stuff, it sounds like Freddy Mercury doing a Techno song!
It's different but it's really quite a cool tune.........I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions-it works well as it is.

Thanks Anfontan. LOL, Freddy Mercury...uh thanks? :D

Nice. not my bag but solid.
I'd go with a throbbing bass pulse to make it dancier. Maybe it's there; I'm on my laptop and the speakers blow.

Nice job.
Matty:o

Thanks Matty, I'll see if it needs more bass.

Wow dude, this is one cool tune, it kinda makes me think of Kanye West. I haven't heard any of your other songs, so I don't know what you normally sound like...........
I was impressed, this song is right up there, totally new.
I thought there were a few things that could have been tweeked, but those moments were gone fairly quickly......and considering this is an experimental track, then your results are excellent, and I think you have something here.
Keep experimenting, its cool.......................barb

Thanks Go-Fish, I wasn't expecting a Kanye West comparison with my little R&B experiment, haha. I guess my little experiment worked. :D How I normally sound like? ...people say I remind them of Josh Groban/Il Divo.

It's cool you're trying some new things. I'm a fan of your previous stuff and I like what you've got started here.

I think vox are compressed too much. I'm not a fan of the autotune being audible, but I understand that's a popular thing these days.

After the intro and the song is going, I've got the feeling that I'm waiting for more to come and don't quite get there. I think you should continue building up to a dynamic end. Adding more rhythm patterns, new instruments or beats. I remember hearing some advice from a long time ago that said, every measure in a song should bring something new.

I like what you've got here so far.
peace.

Thanks a lot Chili! I'll try to add a little more instruments on it. The volume is already at the clipping point though. Would EQing the already existing instruments down help?

the "T-Pain" effect your doing needs to be more prominent and stronger in the main vocal. Is set so subtle right now, that is sounds like mixing mistakes rather than an effect.

but kewl......it has potential to be a strong song...

Thanks bkkornaker, I'll experiment with the effect.

I see, different from what you usually do.

It has all the earmarks of commercial r&b.

I like the beat and I like the pulse and I like some of the stereo sounds. I absolutely loathe the affected vocals.

Sonically, it's pretty clean. Lyrically, it's fairly banal and predictable.

Keep in mind I'm a rock musician whose tastes extend to rap and r/b, but I still have rock sensibilities. So if the ladies are mobbing you because of your vocal stylings, please feel free to completely disregard my opinion.

/shrugs/

I see, different from what you usually do.

It has all the earmarks of commercial r&b.

I like the beat and I like the pulse and I like some of the stereo sounds. I absolutely loathe the affected vocals.

Sonically, it's pretty clean. Lyrically, it's fairly banal and predictable.

Keep in mind I'm a rock musician whose tastes extend to rap and r/b, but I still have rock sensibilities. So if the ladies are mobbing you because of your vocal stylings, please feel free to completely disregard my opinion.

/shrugs/

Thanks for the feedback, Supercreep! I'm glad you think it sounds like it has the earmarks of commercial r&b...that's what I was trying to go for. :D Even though I sing classical, I've heard enough hip-hop/r&b from friends to imitate it, haha.

I really mean that as a compliment, Freddy had an amazing range-with lots of power in his voice. Your vocal delivery also has these qualities!

Thank you. :D

Haha, when I googled Freddy Mercury's name, a picture of a guy in spandex who looked like someone from the Village People and/or Borat came up, hahaha.

Here's an updated version: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7530075

I'm a little unsure if the bass (the bass line that starts in the chorus) is too loud, any opinions?

Homework assignment?:

Go to a bar with a DJ. Listen to what plays. Watch the beautiful young girls writhe. Listen to the bass drum and the bass instrument and the hats.

The HH usually divides in 16ths. The bass frequecies are huge. This tune has everything but those elements to get it played and danced to, IMHO.

You divided in 8ths...and the the bottom is papery. The thump could start a lot earlier.

But I really like the tune. A lot more musical than I usually hear.

If you're anywhere in my neighborhood, maybe we could do some research together....in the interest of....ah....SCIENCE!!!

"Ah, yes, m'dear: my collegue and I were just admiring your lumbar region...."

Back