Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: New song in progress

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    303689

    New song in progress

    Sign in to disable this ad


    Here is an updated Version:
    A "song" without melody and lyrics, except in parts... (last part of verses)

    Mixing is one thing.. and arranging, but what I really struggle with is the "style" on this one. Im not sure every parts fit so nicely together?

    Should the intro/refrains be changed to fit the singing part better?
    Last edited by Ashway; 04-16-2019 at 11:04.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    I'm listening on a pair of decent studio phones (Senheiser HD650) and the mix sounds pretty good. I guess I'd want the vocals to be more centered. They sound too panned, left and right. I get it, though, the current mix creates a kind of sound stage where the male and female singers are standing left and right. I'd just push them closer together.

    I might also increase the volume of the vocal. My sense is that it sits too far back in the mix. The verse seems a little muffled and I'm having trouble making out the words.

    I'd also be tempted to put some air under the mix. Perhaps something more in the high end. Of course, pushing the vocals might solve that.

    As far as style, I'm not sure about the beginning. It feel like I walked into a disco. Then the material turns to something else. Maybe it's the bass or the synth bells (?) or the drum beat. I can't quite put my finger on it. The organ sounds great, though, and the middle is pretty good. It even has some dynamic changes which give the ear a break. Too many songs these days don't have that.

    Then the break at the end puts me in some sort of light jazz-pop framework. Like the beginning, it's not consistent with the middle. And I think it ends to abruptly. I'd prefer a fade-out, a crescendo of some kind, or even a power pop ending where the guitar player jumps into the air.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    303689
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    I'm listening on a pair of decent studio phones (Senheiser HD650) and the mix sounds pretty good. I guess I'd want the vocals to be more centered. They sound too panned, left and right. I get it, though, the current mix creates a kind of sound stage where the male and female singers are standing left and right. I'd just push them closer together.

    I might also increase the volume of the vocal. My sense is that it sits too far back in the mix. The verse seems a little muffled and I'm having trouble making out the words.

    I'd also be tempted to put some air under the mix. Perhaps something more in the high end. Of course, pushing the vocals might solve that.

    As far as style, I'm not sure about the beginning. It feel like I walked into a disco. Then the material turns to something else. Maybe it's the bass or the synth bells (?) or the drum beat. I can't quite put my finger on it. The organ sounds great, though, and the middle is pretty good. It even has some dynamic changes which give the ear a break. Too many songs these days don't have that.

    Then the break at the end puts me in some sort of light jazz-pop framework. Like the beginning, it's not consistent with the middle. And I think it ends to abruptly. I'd prefer a fade-out, a crescendo of some kind, or even a power pop ending where the guitar player jumps into the air.

    This is great feedback! Thank you very much. I’ll be sure to change that disco part into something more suitable. I also might simplify the chords in the middle part to just Em, D, C. 2x or something.

    I tried to melt things together with the base and everything but its probably the rythm in everything making the beginning out of place in the tune.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    925
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 104 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383179
    I agree with what dwillis45 said and would add that the "organ" is too cheesy. IMO it's just the wrong sound and only adds to the confusion about the style. The vocals do seem too far panned and the need some volume boost. The mix seems a bit too "flat"....as in too up front with not enough depth. I think a little work on this could bring you very surprising results. Thanks for the listen.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    303689
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    I agree with what dwillis45 said and would add that the "organ" is too cheesy. IMO it's just the wrong sound and only adds to the confusion about the style. The vocals do seem too far panned and the need some volume boost. The mix seems a bit too "flat"....as in too up front with not enough depth. I think a little work on this could bring you very surprising results. Thanks for the listen.
    Hi. Thanks for commenting. I will work on it a few days and repost the result. There are 3 organ sounds, on 3 seperate tracks. Im guessing you mean the melody thing going on in the beginning? Anyway I think I’ll make the organ more subtle in the mix. The very thing that you reacted to it is enough. 👍

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    925
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 104 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    2383179
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
    Hi. Thanks for commenting. I will work on it a few days and repost the result. There are 3 organ sounds, on 3 seperate tracks. Im guessing you mean the melody thing going on in the beginning? Anyway I think I’ll make the organ more subtle in the mix. The very thing that you reacted to it is enough. ��
    My apology........as I should have been more specific about the organ parts. To be honest.....I thought there were only two different sounds......not three. In any case......all of them sounded too "fake" maybe? Just kinda "cheesy" as I mentioned. Sometimes the WAY an instrument is played has a lot to do with how it comes across. Have you thought about leaving the organ out.....or reducing the amount of time it appears in the song? Remember......this is only my opinion.....and that's all. If you like it........that is far more important.
    Just A Song Writer..........

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    The thread has devolved into a debate about organs. But I guess that's typical for the internet.

    I was actually thinking that the basic organ sound made the track more real, especially compared to the other more synthesized sound. But Mickster could be right. It might not work with the basic style of the song--especially the part in the middle. If the song was Green Onions, you'd have to track the organ. But I'm not sure about today's pop sounds. Maybe it might work better at a low level or lower in the register. Almost like a pad to thicken the mix.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    303689
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    The thread has devolved into a debate about organs. But I guess that's typical for the internet.

    I was actually thinking that the basic organ sound made the track more real, especially compared to the other more synthesized sound. But Mickster could be right. It might not work with the basic style of the song--especially the part in the middle. If the song was Green Onions, you'd have to track the organ. But I'm not sure about today's pop sounds. Maybe it might work better at a low level or lower in the register. Almost like a pad to thicken the mix.

    lol, Im soon posting an enterily different version so then the organ sounds will be a forgotten subject, I wasnt really happy with those organs anyway

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
    Rep Power
    420903
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
    lol, Im soon posting an enterily different version so then the organ sounds will be a forgotten subject, I wasnt really happy with those organs anyway
    Now I'm sad that the organ will be leaving. It's pulling out just when I was about to enjoy the new mix.

    ---------- Update ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Now I'm sad that the organ will be leaving. It's pulling out just when I was about to enjoy the new mix.

    Eighth grader!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    303689
    Update posted, but Im afraid Ive totally ruined the song :P lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hideaway (song in progress)
    By RealKevM in forum Song Writing & Composition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 00:59
  2. Song in progress
    By jimistone in forum Song Writing & Composition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 20:38
  3. Making progress on a song..
    By Solaris79 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 23:14
  4. Just Call My Name (new song/in progress)
    By Masters Of War in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 17:20
  5. Song in progress...
    By mjr in forum Song Writing & Composition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 19:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •