Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New song in progress

Thanks

New song in progress

Sign in to disable this ad

Here is an updated Version:
    A "song" without melody and lyrics, except in parts... (last part of verses)

Mixing is one thing.. and arranging, but what I really struggle with is the "style" on this one. Im not sure every parts fit so nicely together?

Should the intro/refrains be changed to fit the singing part better?
    Last edited by Ashway; 04-16-2019 at 11:04.

Thanks
    I'm listening on a pair of decent studio phones (Senheiser HD650) and the mix sounds pretty good. I guess I'd want the vocals to be more centered. They sound too panned, left and right. I get it, though, the current mix creates a kind of sound stage where the male and female singers are standing left and right. I'd just push them closer together.

I might also increase the volume of the vocal. My sense is that it sits too far back in the mix. The verse seems a little muffled and I'm having trouble making out the words.

I'd also be tempted to put some air under the mix. Perhaps something more in the high end. Of course, pushing the vocals might solve that.

As far as style, I'm not sure about the beginning. It feel like I walked into a disco. Then the material turns to something else. Maybe it's the bass or the synth bells (?) or the drum beat. I can't quite put my finger on it. The organ sounds great, though, and the middle is pretty good. It even has some dynamic changes which give the ear a break. Too many songs these days don't have that.

Then the break at the end puts me in some sort of light jazz-pop framework. Like the beginning, it's not consistent with the middle. And I think it ends to abruptly. I'd prefer a fade-out, a crescendo of some kind, or even a power pop ending where the guitar player jumps into the air.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    I'm listening on a pair of decent studio phones (Senheiser HD650) and the mix sounds pretty good. I guess I'd want the vocals to be more centered. They sound too panned, left and right. I get it, though, the current mix creates a kind of sound stage where the male and female singers are standing left and right. I'd just push them closer together.

I might also increase the volume of the vocal. My sense is that it sits too far back in the mix. The verse seems a little muffled and I'm having trouble making out the words.

I'd also be tempted to put some air under the mix. Perhaps something more in the high end. Of course, pushing the vocals might solve that.

As far as style, I'm not sure about the beginning. It feel like I walked into a disco. Then the material turns to something else. Maybe it's the bass or the synth bells (?) or the drum beat. I can't quite put my finger on it. The organ sounds great, though, and the middle is pretty good. It even has some dynamic changes which give the ear a break. Too many songs these days don't have that.

Then the break at the end puts me in some sort of light jazz-pop framework. Like the beginning, it's not consistent with the middle. And I think it ends to abruptly. I'd prefer a fade-out, a crescendo of some kind, or even a power pop ending where the guitar player jumps into the air.

This is great feedback! Thank you very much. I’ll be sure to change that disco part into something more suitable. I also might simplify the chords in the middle part to just Em, D, C. 2x or something.

I tried to melt things together with the base and everything but its probably the rythm in everything making the beginning out of place in the tune.

Thanks
    I agree with what dwillis45 said and would add that the "organ" is too cheesy. IMO it's just the wrong sound and only adds to the confusion about the style. The vocals do seem too far panned and the need some volume boost. The mix seems a bit too "flat"....as in too up front with not enough depth. I think a little work on this could bring you very surprising results. Thanks for the listen.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    I agree with what dwillis45 said and would add that the "organ" is too cheesy. IMO it's just the wrong sound and only adds to the confusion about the style. The vocals do seem too far panned and the need some volume boost. The mix seems a bit too "flat"....as in too up front with not enough depth. I think a little work on this could bring you very surprising results. Thanks for the listen.
    Hi. Thanks for commenting. I will work on it a few days and repost the result. There are 3 organ sounds, on 3 seperate tracks. Im guessing you mean the melody thing going on in the beginning? Anyway I think I’ll make the organ more subtle in the mix. The very thing that you reacted to it is enough. 👍

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
    Hi. Thanks for commenting. I will work on it a few days and repost the result. There are 3 organ sounds, on 3 seperate tracks. Im guessing you mean the melody thing going on in the beginning? Anyway I think I’ll make the organ more subtle in the mix. The very thing that you reacted to it is enough. ��
    My apology........as I should have been more specific about the organ parts. To be honest.....I thought there were only two different sounds......not three. In any case......all of them sounded too "fake" maybe? Just kinda "cheesy" as I mentioned. Sometimes the WAY an instrument is played has a lot to do with how it comes across. Have you thought about leaving the organ out.....or reducing the amount of time it appears in the song? Remember......this is only my opinion.....and that's all. If you like it........that is far more important.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    The thread has devolved into a debate about organs. But I guess that's typical for the internet.

I was actually thinking that the basic organ sound made the track more real, especially compared to the other more synthesized sound. But Mickster could be right. It might not work with the basic style of the song--especially the part in the middle. If the song was Green Onions, you'd have to track the organ. But I'm not sure about today's pop sounds. Maybe it might work better at a low level or lower in the register. Almost like a pad to thicken the mix.

Thanks
    The thread has devolved into a debate about organs. But I guess that's typical for the internet.

I was actually thinking that the basic organ sound made the track more real, especially compared to the other more synthesized sound. But Mickster could be right. It might not work with the basic style of the song--especially the part in the middle. If the song was Green Onions, you'd have to track the organ. But I'm not sure about today's pop sounds. Maybe it might work better at a low level or lower in the register. Almost like a pad to thicken the mix.

lol, Im soon posting an enterily different version so then the organ sounds will be a forgotten subject, I wasnt really happy with those organs anyway

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
    lol, Im soon posting an enterily different version so then the organ sounds will be a forgotten subject, I wasnt really happy with those organs anyway
    Now I'm sad that the organ will be leaving. It's pulling out just when I was about to enjoy the new mix.

---------- Update ----------

Now I'm sad that the organ will be leaving. It's pulling out just when I was about to enjoy the new mix.

Eighth grader!

Thanks
    Update posted, but Im afraid Ive totally ruined the song :P lol

Thread Information