New Song - Outside Here

lynx,

I'm new to the forum, but have been encouraged by other members to offer my opinions. So, here they are....

Reminds me of the Moody Blues. I couldn't understand the lyrics all the time, but it didn't deter listening to the song. I really like the variety of sounds going on, but about half-way through the song, I was wondering if the "booming drum" was ever going to stop...or maybe vary a little bit...you know...take me by surprise...maybe when the hope starts shining through.

Thanks for sharing your creation! I enjoyed it much.

Jay

Thx jayoneill - Thanks for the feedback, I really don't know what to make of this thing - somedays I really like it , somedays I don't. I keep coming back to it though. I'l try and clear up the vocal line.

lynx

I liked the track! There were a ton of cool layers going on in this piece from all the various keyboard sounds to some very good vocal work and tasteful effects and harmonies here and there.

Mix-wise; The drums did not sound particularly boomy but they did sound a bit out of control dynamically in spots. They kinna sounded as if you didn't compress them and perhaps that's all they need or just take down some the cymbal work and that should help it.

The keyboards as well sounded like the stock sounds and that little manipulation of their eq was used in the track. They could use a bit of trim in the 2 to 4 khz range to smooth them out a bit.

The vocals as well could stand a bit more compression to bring the quieter phases up a bit. Otherwise, they're done quite well.

Overall, a very fine effort and very good song writing skills here!

I like!

Cheers! :)

lynx,
Some cool sounds. I like your stuff. You just need to seriously clean out some space for those vocals. Everything seems right on top each other. You need to try and find a spot for all the sounds through panning and EQ. I think some of those sounds could be almost hard panned. This song begs for space. Some movement across the stereo field would be cool as well. I think it would fit well in this song. You might bring down the booming drum a little as well. Some good ideas here, just needs some careful mixing. I think these types of songs can really benefit from some cool production ideas.

Generally a nice ambience to the song.

I like just about everything except the vocals. The instruments are taking up quite a bit of space (even the drums to an extent with that long verb). So the vox are having a hard time coming through. IMO this tune needs some vocal processing - echo, distortion, doubling, heavy verb, etc. Most of them are dry.

Vocal swell at 2:40 was a bit too big. To a lesser extent, the swell at 2:52 was pretty big.

The harmonies help considerably, they're nice.

The strings are nice too. The more I listened to the song, the more I started to like it.

Trip...

The Ghost of FM - Thx Ghost, I've really just playing around with some effects and whatnot, this sort of came out.

skids - Thx skids, those are some good ideas. I'll do a remix or two of it but I'm not really taking this tune all that seriously. It's kind of....well I have no idea really :)

TripleM - Thanks Trip, I'll see what I can do with those vocals, they seem off to me as well now I getting second opinion. I like the strings in this as well.

Oh Shock, this one is even older than the last one. PLEASE check the dates on the posts as, chances are, posts where the last post was 8 years ago are probably resolved by now :)

Back