new song - opinions please!

famous beagle

Hey everyone --- first time posting here.

I don't have great recording equipment yet (I just recently ordered a Yamaha AW16G that's en route ... yeah!). This song was recorded on a Zoom PS04. Please excuse the drum and bass machine. I'm planning on re-recording this with a full band once I get my new recorder, but I wanted to do the best I could with what I had in the meantime.

Any opinions (on anything -- the production, writing, arrangement, performance, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. The song is called "That's what I'd say." It's the only one I have up yet.

Thanks much.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/chadjohnsonmusic.htm

Whoa, is that the pocket recorder thingie? If so this is really good...good song regardless. The recording in general lacks depth but relatively speaking it's very nice.

Good luck with the new gear. Find yourself a drummer abd bass collab partners.

Jake-owa: Thanks for your comments! Yeah it's the pocket studio thingie. I actually do have a bassist and drummer, and when I do the full demo with the new gear we'll definitely be recording everyone. But in the meantime, I just wanted to see what this little thing could do.

I don't have speakers here at work, but I can critique one thing: the title seems a little cumbersome. Titling can be really difficult, though, and I don't have any better suggestions, not having heard the song, except perhaps pruning it to "What I'd Say"

cool tune.

Good job man...

I like this song alot. I love that tremolo guitar

I am not going to comment on the mix as far as what needs to come up or down, because of what you're using, because for that unit this is great quality. I have the Korg PXR4 and for a song sketch pad it's fantastic.

Out of curiousity how did you record the vocals??

I think it's a good song title. Makes you curious.

As far as drum machines go...I hate em but you programmed some nice parts.

keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing this rerecorded on your new Yami with REAL musicians!

this sounds pretty good to me. i'm liking the little wah thing on the one side. i'm listening on headphones, so can't tell too much about the sound. the bass sounds a little light in here...actually damn near inaudible. i'm hearing maybe a little Elvis Costello influence? i like the go to hell message too. I like the change ups in it too. Yeah, I'm hearing the guitars and vocals nicely , but the drums and bass are getting lost for me. not a horible thing, but I'd like to hear them a little more as this track seems to be lacking some low end.

good tune.

Thanks for the comments y'all.

Corban: I did struggle with the title a bit. I didn't want to call it "Go to Hell" (the chorus line is "you can all go to hell"), and this was the only other thing that seemed to work.

Shookie Jones: yeah machines suck, but I tried to do the best with what I could. The sounds on that unit are actually pretty limited, and you can only get three different volume levels for each sound: soft, medium, and loud.
I actually used the built-in mic on the unit for the vocals. I wanted to use everything on that machine to see what it could do. The electric guitar (the tremolo part) was direct in using the amp simulator on the unit, and the acousctic guitar was recorded with the built-in mic as well.

Robertt8: Yes the drums and bass were mixed too quietly at parts. This is especially noticable to me at the end where it gets louder. You can actually barely hear the snare at that point. This wouldn't be too hard for me to fix, since they're programmed and it would just be a matter of turning them up. But as I said, this one's going to be re-recorded with real musicians anyway so I didn't bother.

Thanks again for listening

you can all go to hell

"You can all go to hell." Now there's a song title that would make me want to hear the song. Seriously, that's the best song title I've heard in a long time. It's just my take on it, but if it were me, I would definitely change it to that.

Just so you know that wasn't a sarcastic comment or anything, I really like that line, thought it would be a cool title. I got negative feedback on that comment, wasn't exactly sure why.

only thing id say is less tremolo git and more bass
or maby just more ass to the bass
something like that :)

Corban: Who gave you negative feedback? I like the line too, which is why it's the chorus. I just think it's a bit too direct to be the title of the song. It seems like it's kind of giving something away or something. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion; thanks!

another lesson that the most important equipment is in front of the microphone. nice job. how'd you get the tremolo?
C>

Well, the feedback was signed Gravity, which is probably an alias for Jake-Owa, since he's posted on this thread. I don't take it too hard coming from him, since he passes them out like heroin on main street, but I still don't understand it. He said 'Go rant on your own thread jackass.' The jackass part was funny, I didn't really get what he was referring to with the rest. Care to illuminate me, Jake?

Not that it's that important, and I don't mean to hijack the thread. So yeah, you could save the punch of that line for the chorus without giving it away in the title. And if "that's what I'd say" refers to you can all go to hell, that's nicer than I originally thought. Maybe I'll go write a song called You can all go to hell. Might be plagiarism though...

:rolleyes:

Corban: Yes the title is referring to the "go to hell" message. Actually, in the song, the coda says "that's what I'd say if I really spoke my mind." (Referring to "you can all go to hell")

Chugheshc: The tremolo part was recording plugging directly into the PS04 and using the amp simulator. I wanted to see what the thing could do, so I didn't use any outboard gear at all. (The vox were recorded with the built-in mic and so was the acoustic.)

Thanks for the comments guys.

thats song is hot...i am a rap artist/producer and you have my vote but.....bass.....i put up one of my songs...check it out

Nice song, well performed and engineered. Solid intonation and tight rhythm.

I could only listen once, and just on crap computer speakers, but the vocal where it gets more intense at about 3:05 might be just a little too hot in the mix.

Enjoyed it. The writing is a little John Lennon-ish.

Tim

Strave said:
The fact that you did that on a tiny little thing is amazing. You should be a spokesperson for zoom.

LOL. Thanks, what a nice compliment.

Tim: Yes I agree about the level of the vox at that point; it is too hot. I'll fix that when I record it "for real." John Lennon is certainly an influence. = )

Sounds nice. Good lyrics. Clear recording. Solidly sparse arrangement. Singing is largely on pitch. I'd buy this record. Very strong work.

scrubs said:
Sounds nice. Good lyrics. Clear recording. Solidly sparse arrangement. Singing is largely on pitch. I'd buy this record. Very strong work.

Thanks! I'll let you know when it's on sale. = )

Back