new song no lyrics

eeb

we'll we got back our "preliminary mix" from the studio.. We still have to track vocals but so far we're all super pumped about this.

just wanted some opinions on either the song or where you think the mix should go from here (there's obviously quite a bit of work left to do)

the guy we're working with is super cool and seems to know what he's doing. This is the first time in a long time that I'm not doing the work myself.

anyways here's the link

Hey eeb,

This is a cool tune...lots of nice changes and I really like the lead guitar part that comes in periodically and continues throughout the ending. What kind of effect is that?

The mix sounds pretty good...harder to evaluate without vocals. I am listening on comp speakers and am not a professional or anything, but some of the cymbals sound a bit slushy to me and the snare is maybe a bit too prominent? Would love to hear the bass more as well.

I really just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed listening to this and didn't want you to suffer the indignity of falling off the front page with no feedback. ;)

Sounds okay. The drums are clear and very in your face, but I don't really like the kick sound. The song doesn't flow very well. Maybe the vox will pull it together. It's pretty good though.

yeah again this is a rough mix.. no point in getting a "perfect" mix until the vocals are all in. I agree with the kick sound.. it's a little "clicky" it's almost there just needs a little more low end. the bass does need to come up alot to drive the song better.

I have no idea what you mean about the song flowing? care to elaborate?

btw at the end I loop my guitar part with a line 6 dl4 and then play the loop with the bass drum pattern. :) glad you like

I have no idea what you mean about the song flowing? care to elaborate?
I just mean there's a lot of changes and the drumming is pretty rambunctious and stuff. It's not bad, it just needs the vocals to glue it all together. It's also very loud for a rough unfinished mix. It's odd to have a rough test track that's been "mastered".

it hasn't been 'mastered" at all..haha i guess the engineer is used to kids saying they even want their rough mixes to sound loud... oh well.. that's wierd that you say that about the changes.. i always thought this song was very structured and almost radioish (well for us) is a standard A,B,C,B,A,B,C structure. I think you're right though.. hopefully the vocals will glue it all together. We're going back in this tuesday and wednesday for vocals.. maybe i'll post it again once that's there.

We're going back in this tuesday and wednesday for vocals.. maybe i'll post it again once that's there.

Please do. Sounds good so far. Nice, tight punches in the middle part. I can hear this being a great tune once depending on the vocals. Vocals are really what make or break a song.

Please do. Sounds good so far. Nice, tight punches in the middle part. I can hear this being a great tune once depending on the vocals. Vocals are really what make or break a song.

you speak the truth.

I don't like the hardpanned split of the tom or bass drum in the intro - was going to push my ears inside out.
MORE BASSGTR.
Way too much click in the bass drum - sounds like a DM wannabe.
This could be very good indeed...

We finished the vocals last night!! should have it up very soon ..

turned out GREAT.. i'm stoked to show it to you all

Interesting. I like the hard panning around 1:20 and the angular guitar around 3:30. Good balance overall with a lot of depth.

Back