new song, new methods!

JasonBird

Average Member
hey there,
we worked on another song yesterday, and based on the feedback we've gotten from you all in the past , we made some changes. I now have a sm57 mic under the snare , and i removed the front drum head and layed a AT Drum tom/kick mic inside the drum on a pillow. We had lyrics for it, but after the song was done, they didn't fit at all....still need practice at that. Also, it's longer......Your advice so far has been great....Don't stop now!!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2169&alid=-1

the song is called Pet Peeve

Enjoy, Jason

BTW- How do you ge the little star rating thing happening?

Sounds ok to me. Not quite pro yet, but it's doing alright. Obviously needs some vox. Good base for a tune.

Sounds like a guitar slipped out of tune at 2:50. A little timing problem at about 3:07. A little crackle at 1:06. Tempo speeds up a few seconds before the end. Some drum fills would be nice.

But again, good start to a tune. In a "Smoke On the Water" sort of way.

P.S., the stars are created by responders. I'll give ya a 5 :)

Seriously, they don't mean a whole lot (at least not to me).

hey thanks tripleM,
the vocals are our biggest obstacle at the moment. When we start out recording this, we don't even have any idea for a song. Aaron, the guitar guy, has only been playing for about 7 months, so we're limited to basic , chords and stuff. I think he's doing great for as long as he's been playing. so, anyway, once i have the tempo, i record a simple track to play with. then we were going to go back and record the drums again, and add fills etc. but , we can never get the timing down. We'll keep working at it and see if we can come up with some lead, solo stuff....i'm trying...and we're having fun!!

man you get markedly better in such a short amount of time...each post ..is so much better than the last....the drums cound alot beter on this ..need smore oomph outta that bass drum..and better lyrics.....man these lyrics suck...i have never heard lyrics this bad...:D....

bass sounds good....how are you recording the guitar mic'd amp?....the guitar lines are pretty good hard to tell without words..WHICH IS WHAT YOUR DOING NEXT RIGHT??..lol...

someof those little splash cymbals could be less tinny sounding are your drums rec'd on one track ??

jamal

Hey there Jamal,
Glad that you listened to it. Man how do i get a good sound out of the bass drum? I'm not eq'ing it at all. How should i do it???
it's driving me nuts....yep, the bass guitar amp, fender BXR 100, is mic'd with a SM 57 . the drums are on 5 tracks....snare, bass, left overhead, right overhead, and the cymbols on a seperate track. A little unorthodox i'm sure, but without starting over was all we could do. I've since figured out a better method....I import one of your tunes and play along with it!! really, i don't want to sound like I'm sucking up or anything, but your sound is the best i've heard....or was it cat eggs??? LOL I'll keep trying. I can't sing or I 'd try and get some lyrics....should I try? shit.....that would be so ugly!!!!
Jason

yeah that was all brad(cat eggs)...if you like that sound go to www.skydaddy.com and just listen to hi ho stereo....

i was asking about the drums to find out if you e-q the bas drum at all?....if not do that...boost the shit outta that mutha....who wrote the last song "layed off" that was cool i thought?...let that guy write this one too....tell you what ...let me screw with it se if i come up with anything....

jamal

Jamal, i went to that site the last time you gave me the link. it is cool. i've got a copy of everything...I tried to eq the bass before, but i'm messing it up, should i adjust the eq on my mixer or the eq that comes with sonar? whe i tried it before it got all muddy.
Aaron sang the lyrics for the laid off song, the idea was mine, but he made most of that up during the recording. He's good at the impromteu stuff. Man, that would be really cool if youy can do anything with it......add some guitar to it, to break it up a bit if you want. also....I updated the I Am Not song...if you wanted to check it out again.....
jason

This tune absolutely needs some vocals to round it out. I think some valid points have already been made about the mix.

Recording and writing lyrics is like any talent, you've got to DO IT in order to get better. Throw some lyrics together and try it out. If it sucks. So what?. Move on to the next song. You'll find you will improve rapidly .... but you've got to DO IT ... right? Some times you get surprised by the result .... that's when it's really fun.

Nice effort. Keep posting ..... and .... like my great grandfather always used to say ... "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars" ...... or was that somebody else. LOL

BPOCO

It's a good start. Add vocals, you can always change them as you hone your craft of songwriting.

You said something that really impressed me, and I live by it.
"We're having fun". Remember that no matter where your music takes you!

Joe

Much better than the other song I heard.The Instraments are all defined but the song needs to be a little more upbeat.The guitar playing is making it sound lazy.Like the guitarist was really stoned or something.Too chill for a progression like that,needs to be more aggressive.Mix a little Left/right heavy(depending on which way I put on the headphones).Bad ending cut.Add vox to it and repost it.Maybe the guitar might work better with vocals.

Back