New song for my demo. Please critique!!

Damn, there been some absolutely awesome stuff posted here this morning. This is no different. Nice work - you played everything? I wish I could play drums like that, would sure beat the shit out of the drum software I'm used to programming :-)

Nice. That lead guitar solo, or whatever it is sounds out of key/tune though.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to add that for something coming out of Seattle... it sure isn't depressing.

Second listen. Yeah kind of reminds me of the spin doctors. The only thing, which is very, very minor as an issue, is some of the drum fills around 54 seconds or so lack presence - The snare sounds like its cutting outin few places. Perhaps over use of compression? But it really is a very minor issue, and is probably nothing

Thanks for the comments guys. You know I KNEW that that lead guitar part sucked but I left it in up till now for some unknown reason. It's gone. I need to come up with something better for sure.

Also I didn't mean to mislead but the drums are not real. I programmed them in reason using their drum kits 2.0 refill. I must say that I'm pretty happy that they could pass as real. Thanks for the comments.

They're real? No shit.... How does that type of progamming work? Are they real loops that are comped together, or do you have to program each beat seperately?

I must have the thing your programming the drums with! Is it a lot of work to make it sound as good as it sounds on this song? I've used BFD (Big Fucking Drumkit) for some time now, and surely you can make some things happen... But I'm not really that satisfied... But I'm surely not that skilled in using the program, long way to go!

Killer song man! I also get som Spin Doctors wibes...!

/Chip

I like everything except the riff because it's just a little too well used from Boston to well almost everyone.
You could rerecord the riff - same chords etc just alter the spaces.
I guess it could be considered an hommage to the garage & that'd be cool but the rsst of the song is so fresh, Buzzcocksishly up & CCCOOOOLLLLLLL I'd take it extra 1/2 mile & customize the riff.
Oh, GOOD recording & performing.
What's the secret technique?
Cheers
rayC
Ahh, I thought the solo was deliberate... I liked it of axis in terms of tonality.

Last edited:
There are no drum loops at all....just samples programmed in to the sequencer. The reason drum kit sounds have like 10 samples for each velocity and then about 10 levels of velocity or whatever so they sound pretty real. It's not all that hard to program if you copy and paste a ton and then just go in and program fills seperately.

Thanks for the comments. To be honest I was hoping it would come accross a little "harder" than the Spin Doctors....although I actually like the Spin Doctors quite a bit. I agree I need to change up the guitars a bit at least in the very intro. Hopefully I can make them a little tougher while I change the riff up at the same time.

cool song. I have to agree that the guitar lead / riff sounds out of tune but you already got rid of that you say so good to go.

impressive that you played everything. Electric drum machine or regular set miked or what?

Back